It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:46 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Next Project: On board air
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:08 am 
LOST Member

Ok guys. I've come up with my next project. On Board Air. I'll update this as I progress, but here is the plan...
1) Find a location to mount an air tank
2) Buy or build a tank
3) Buy or build an air compressor (most likely buy, not enough room under the hood for another A/C compressor and I'm not giving up A/C)
4) Pipe air lines to where I want them
One hookup under the hood and one hookup inside back by the tailgate.

I'm thinking that there is some space above my superskid for the tank and maybe the compressor. I'm eyeballing the Vair 150psi 100% duty cycle compressor. It has a "snorkel" that lets you pipe the incoming air from somewhere clean. I'm planning on running that to the interior (maybe the back, inside the hatch where I run the hookup).

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:04 am 
LOST Addict

Hmmm... I'm in the process of getting my onboard air setup finished. I can post up some pics for ideas for you if you like.

The only thing I can think of is that you won't want an electric compressor under the KJ where it can get wet (imagine if you get stuck in the mud). I think it either needs to go inside or under the hood...

now the tank on the other hand... put that wherever you want :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Might be a stupid question, but wouldn't the air tank under the jeep be like a bomb under it? I'm thinking like a suba tank when it ruptures.

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:22 am 
LOST Addict

A few people have mounted their compressors under the rear seat. Carrying a pressure vessel seems like a kind of crazy idea, do you really need that much air. A good portable 12Volt compressor will lift up tire pressures in just a few minutes.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:22 am 
LOST Member

Tank rupture? I think there was a swell mythbusters session that kinda debunked that one...not a bomb at all. Total bust.
I'll be interested to see how this goes... looking forward to the write-up and pics!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 01, 2009 6:50 pm 
LOST Member

An old O2 type of welding vessel should mount well on the frame. Just point it towards the back if you're not sure... :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 1:26 am 
LOST Member

Ok guys, I'm an ex firefighter, so I'm familiar with SCBA and scuba tanks... let's put this in perspective...
SCUBA tank - 2,216 PSI+
Air tank - 150 PSI max
On board Cascade air system 5,000 PSI (we had one in our fire truck, it was 4 tanks at 5,000 PSI and they were mounted in the back of the vehicle.)

I've heard about the rupture thing, but seriously guys, there isn't any risk to a low pressure air tank underneath like that. If I bend a superskid bad enough to rupture this tank, My tranny will be a pretzel, and there probably won't be much left of the KJ anyway. I won't be terribly concerned about a 100-150 Psi air leak.

As far as the compressor under there, the compressor I am looking at is totally sealed. BUT, I think you are right that it still isn't advisable to operate it submerged. I think I will try to squeeze it under the hood. I just wanted to save room under there for a on-board welder and/or 2nd battery.

Durangotang - would love to see pics of your setup...

DIY Frankie Lift, BBS Rims, Aussie Locker Rear, DTT Front, Renegade Rack & Light Bar, Custom Front Bumper w/ Warn XD9000i, Custom Rear Bumper, JBA UCA's, Full Skids(Mopar, Kilby and Super skid), CRS Rock Rails, CB, EVIC, Nav, power dim mirror, (2) 8" subs under front seats. http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2512777

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 02, 2009 8:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

I would just get a CO2 and be done with it. Small compressors are ok but if you have intentions of running a compressor and an air tank, by the time you get done with the installation it will never fill the tires as fast as an onboard CO2, or Nitogen. Keep in mimd that a quality 12v air compressor can go uo to almost 300 bucks, for that money you can get a small Power Tank set up, or better yet build your own. But then that all depends on how many times or for what purpose you will be using the air. something to think about.

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:51 am 
LOST Member

Uses would include air tools and airing up tires. If I later add an on-board welder, I might do an on-board plasma cutter too, but that's very iffy at this point. I like the portability of the Co2 systems, so I might do both. And yes, the compressor I was looking at was about $300. I might get a small Co2 tank for portability, but I hate to give up any interior storage. Its pretty limited as it is...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:40 pm 
LOST Junkie

rescu2000 wrote:
Uses would include air tools and airing up tires. If I later add an on-board welder, I might do an on-board plasma cutter too, but that's very iffy at this point. I like the portability of the Co2 systems, so I might do both. And yes, the compressor I was looking at was about $300. I might get a small Co2 tank for portability, but I hate to give up any interior storage. Its pretty limited as it is...

Take a look at this to build your own onboard welder.
http://www.pirate4x4.com/tech/on-boardwelder/index.html

“Learn from yesterday, live for today, hope for tomorrow. The important thing is not to stop questioning.”

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:29 am 
LOST Addict

Here's what I have thus far... mounted my 2 compressors on the cargo shelf. Waiting for my 5 gallon tank to arrive so I can find a place to mount it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:41 am 
LOST Addict

I know quite a few guys that mounted air compressors in their jeeps, and then turned their rock rails into the tanks. All of them work perfectly and I wish I had done it to mine when I built my rock rails.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 04, 2009 10:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I mounted my air compressor behind the airbox under the hood and used a propane cylinder-sized O2 cylinder as an air tank. I'm just running lockers and use the compressor to fill tires.

See the photos of my on-board air setup in my mods thread.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 06, 2009 9:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Just a question. Why do you need 2 compresors?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 07, 2009 11:35 pm 
LOST Member

Yea, I've seen that set up on the welder. Not sure it will work with our alternators. I'd prefer a 2nd alternator as the welder, just to be sure I don't strand myself on a trail somewhere. Not enough room under the hood tho.