It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New Project Idea? Need Some Thoughts Before I Start Though
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 3:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/00-Nissa ... 3149wt_958

Okay I don't intend on buying this one but I was wondering would something like this fit on the KJ? I'd like that air deflector and the rack looks pretty cool..

Also an Xterra bumper would it be possible to custom fab one to fit a KJ?

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 09, 2009 4:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

what kind of Xterra bumper? The OEM one or an ARB type? Im sure you could but I think you would be better off just custom making one that is made specifically for your vehicle and is the way you want it. Same thing for the roof rack IMHO.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 2:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'd like just the air deflector thing off the Xterra for the front.. I think it would make our Jeep more aerodynamic... and maybe help with that stupid drag.. I had another thought too what about the grill, doesn't that cause alot of drag??

If I don't stir the pot then no body will and the world would be boring, watch this guy for extreme sarcasm though :D

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The xterra roof system is going to put a ton more drag on your roof than stock bars would. It would also be in increase in drag vs my roof rack or rock lizards. It might be an improvement over some baskets but its hard to say.

Several things effect drag, including:

1) overall profile from the perspective of the direction of the wind. A deflector is going to be more "sail" than anything. It does however bend the wind to flow more consistantly with the regular windshield flow, but if it overcomes the sail effect is hard for me to say. They might be quieter.

2) shape of the items in the wind: round is good, tapered in the front and rear are good.

3) texture of the sides (top of the rack): there is a lot going on in that rack, lots of places to be friction areas for wind.

I doubt you'd see much improvement using that or something similar, probably a considerable decrease in MPG.

As far as the liberty, My opinion is that the overall nose, windshield, and back end blunt-ness are the primary sources of drag. If the windshiled was tipped back more, the front was more rounded, and the rear had some taper instead of being an almost vertical face, the Liberty would do a lot better on drag forces. As far as the grill, I don't think smoothing it off would improve wind resistance anywhere near what you'd lose in cooling. That heat would surely decrease your MPG / power more.

All of this is just my opinion as someone that took fluid dynamics 3 times. That should tell you something. I'm very familiar with it, but not very good at it...

All that said, I think something like that would look pretty sweet.

Coming Soon: Rear Bumpers with lots of options

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 10, 2009 3:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hmm.. Well Boiler what if I was to persay make something for the top of the kj. A Rounded Spoiler so to speak for the front windshield, and a rounded spoiler for the back windshield.. and an air deflector for the hood, and the windows.. Still no difference? I mean that would kinda be hard to believe that it wouldn't make some positive difference.

The reason I say this is because I'd like to have my spare up top but I don't want it catching all the wind, and so I was thinking a frontal/rear air deflector should cause it to go up and over it, and as far as the sides of the rails I would make it kinda like a box if you know what I mean that way there wasn't any disturbance on the sides. As far as the rear is concerned I am going to get a new bumper on the rear and possibly one on the front. I know the more weight causes your MPG to decrease so now I wonder if a weight reduction stage would be good for my KJ..