It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 2:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Power inverter mod in center console.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:32 am 
LOST Addict

ok, I used a small 180 watt single outlet power inverter. A Jensen JP 180 which I happened to already have and as luck would have it fit perfectly under the center console storage bin. I then took off the plate where the outlet and on/off switch is located, extended those wires, cut on hole on the passenger side console up by the shifter and secured the plate with some screws. I figured this would be easier than cutting seperate holes. I then extended the power wire to a constant from the battery and left the existing fuse holder in place. For the ground I just found a bolt close enough for me to tie in to. Works great!

If you want larger pics go to my cardomain site, page 3. Thanks.

ImageImage

ImageImage

Post subject: Re: Power inverter mod in center console.
PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That is AWESOME! Looks clean... nice job! :D

Where did you get the inverter? I would love to do the same thing.

Again, great job, you should be proud.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 11:52 am 
I live here
I live here

You could do that to the rear side cargo panels. Great for camping and tailgating!

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 1:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I bought the inverter from Amazon and thanks, I think it came out pretty good. The best part is I still have the port for a cell charger or GPS.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:16 pm 
LOST Addict

That is really nice. Well done. I will eventually steal your idea and put it in my jeep, front and rear maybe. :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Dec 31, 2009 2:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Inc wrote:
That is really nice. Well done. I will eventually steal your idea and put it in my jeep, front and rear maybe. :wink:

x2. I would love to see a detailed writeup on how to do this! You could run a laptop in the front seat or a TV in the back (tailgating! :pepper: :pepper: ).

Is that little red switch a power switch? It would be fantastic to be able to turn off the power draw when it's not needed.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.
New Mopar Fuel Filter, K&N Filterminder, Fumoto Oil Drain Valve
225/75R16 Hankook Dynapros

PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:50 pm 
LOST Addict

stoutdog wrote:
Inc wrote:

x2. I would love to see a detailed writeup on how to do this! You could run a laptop in the front seat or a TV in the back (tailgating! :pepper: :pepper: ).

Is that little red switch a power switch? It would be fantastic to be able to turn off the power draw when it's not needed.

Cool, glad you guys like it.

Stoutdog, I wrote a basic how to up top. It really was very simple, just a little prep time. If you have specific questions, I will see if I can answer them for you. Yes, the red switch is the on and off and to the right of the outlet is a small LED that lights up when on. I had to extend all of these wires. The LED was soldered to the board so I had to solder in the extended wires, that was the "hardest" part.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 12:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks. I'll PM you if I have any questions when I get around to doing this mod.

For all our sakes, do you have a part number on the inverter? Or a link to where to purchase? Thanks.

GDE Eco Tune, GDE TCM Tune, Bauer 203* Tstat, Amsoil EaA 201 Filter, Clean MAP, Samco CAC Hoses, Magnaflow Muffler #12226.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 02, 2010 1:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

found a real cheap 800W... what are some of the negatives... like can this thing draw too much?

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Man you're in my head!!!
I was poking arrounf the cenrer console afew months ago, ended up removinf some stuff and was thinking about doing this exact thing!!!
This is where I was thining of placing the plugs
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42400

Was not sure though if it would be safe to place the inverter in there with the parking break wire running under it.
Did you do anything to vent the inverter?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 8:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Was not sure though if it would be safe to place the inverter in there with the parking break wire running under it.
Did you do anything to vent the inverter?[/quote]

Just make sure to tie the wires on the opposite side as the parking brake cable.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 10:01 am 
LOST Addict

m_volyrakis wrote:
Man you're in my head!!!
I was poking arrounf the cenrer console afew months ago, ended up removinf some stuff and was thinking about doing this exact thing!!!
This is where I was thining of placing the plugs
http://www.jeepkj.com/forum/showthread.php?t=42400

Did you do anything to vent the inverter?

The back would have been a good spot as well. I ran the wires on the passenger side and tested fitment with the ebrake pulled, that was no interference. I didn't do anything to vent it, the console is far from air tight. But if it blows up then it blows up... :frankie:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 11:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When I saw Sport's mod, I immediately thought of putting an inverter in the rear of the center console for long trips with multiple people... It's more of an all-access position.

I'm thinking of going with this model: http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Watt-Power- ... =pd_cp_e_0

Sport: From your original post, I gather that you removed the faceplate, cut a fitted hole in the console, and screwed it into that? How did you wire it to the battery? The unit above comes with 2 feet of 12 gauge cord and alligator clips, so I will obviously need a longer cord. I'm mainly interested in how you wired the inverter from the console to the battery. Thanks.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:02 pm 
LOST Addict

stoutdog wrote:
When I saw Sport's mod, I immediately thought of putting an inverter in the rear of the center console for long trips with multiple people... It's more of an all-access position.

I'm thinking of going with this model: http://www.amazon.com/Cobra-Watt-Power- ... =pd_cp_e_0

Sport: From your original post, I gather that you removed the faceplate, cut a fitted hole in the console, and screwed it into that? How did you wire it to the battery? The unit above comes with 2 feet of 12 gauge cord and alligator clips, so I will obviously need a longer cord. I'm mainly interested in how you wired the inverter from the console to the battery. Thanks.

Yes, I cut a hole in the console smaller then the faceplate but big enough to squeeze in the switch and outlet. Then some some self tapping screws into the plastic.

hehe, well I do things my own way. I have seen some wiring setups on here with all the wires running to a central location loaded with relays and fuse blocks. nah, none of that for me. I have an 8 gauge wire coming from the battery into the cab that powers my audio amp. I bought a distribution block and ran the 8 gauge to that and I was then able to power the inverter and amp along with anything else I might need in the cab. Not what everyone may do but works well for me.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Also for the rear I just plan on using one of these, quick and simple.

It is 100W, enough for a small radio or lamp.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sounds like I get to be creative in connecting the inverter to the battery :5SHOTS:

Stupid question: Physically where can you run a wire from the interior to the engine compartment? My Jeep is 2k miles away at the moment, so I can't look myself.

I use a GPS in the cig lighter, so I need to keep that slot open on trips, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:36 pm 
LOST Addict

stoutdog wrote:
Sounds like I get to be creative in connecting the inverter to the battery :5SHOTS:

Stupid question: Physically where can you run a wire from the interior to the engine compartment? My Jeep is 2k miles away at the moment, so I can't look myself.

There are access points through the firewall. I ran mine through a rubber grommet on the drivers side corner.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:45 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sport wrote:
stoutdog wrote:

There are access points through the firewall. I ran mine through a rubber grommet on the drivers side corner.

Great, thanks. I'll get around to doing this in the next couple of weeks and will post pics. Thanks for the idea, Sport!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 07, 2010 12:57 pm 
LOST Addict

stoutdog wrote:
Sport wrote:
stoutdog wrote:

Great, thanks. I'll get around to doing this in the next couple of weeks and will post pics. Thanks for the idea, Sport!

Not a problem, hope it works out for you. looking forward to the pics.
:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Mon Jan 11, 2010 2:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

When doing mods like this be very careful to make sure you're using a wire gauge that can handle the maximum amp draw that your inverter/amp/whatever will pull, plus a little extra for safety. Also be sure to use a fuse that is big enough to handle that draw, but smaller than what your wiring can handle.

Failing to follow these guidelines is likely to leave you standing on the side of the road watching the pretty lights on the firetrucks.

With that said, mod away!! :)

L.O.S.T. #0

Future:
2016 Hydro Blue JK Unlimited Rubicon Hard Rock

Previous:
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Sold!
2012 Flame Red JK Unlimited Rubicon - Dealer buyback
2003 Silver KJ Freedom 4x4 - Sold!
32s, Frankenlift, BBars, onboard air, dirt.
KJ EVIC Install