It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 10:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: HOW TO: cheap DIY shelf for cargo area
PostPosted: Fri Jan 01, 2010 10:01 pm 
LOST Member

I just got finished building a shelf for the cargo area of my KJ. It’s not quite completed yet. I am going to add some re-enforcements to the underside of it to make it sturdy enough to hold an ice chest, etc. I am also looking to add some u-bolts on top to secure my hi-lift jack to it. After that, I’m going to carpet it in gray to match the interior.

But, if there is anyone else interested in doing this mod, here is the basic skeleton of what I did:

Tools –
Drill
1/16” drill bit for pilot holes
Saw of some sort (I used a little hacksaw)

Materials from home depot—
2’ x4’ x ½” MDF – about $9
½” x 48” dowel rod – about $2
5/8” x 48” dowel rod – about $2
Box of 1” #6 wood screws – about $2
Gorilla Glue – about $6

Materials from walmart –
3’ x 6’ replacement auto carpet – about $9

TOTAL COST INCLUDING CARPET: $30

Step 1 – cutting your MDF to size:

Ask the folks at Home Depot to cut your MDF down to a 4’ x 15.75” (or do it yourself). Save the extra for later if you want to use as re-enforcement. I’m going to glue it to the bottom of my shelf for extra support.

We will call the edge that will be touching your back seat the “rear” and the edge that will be touching your tailgate the “front”.

Pick which edge of the MDF you want to be in the rear. Measure 12 inches from that edge toward the front and mark the MDF. Do this on the right side and on the left side.

Now, on the front edge of your MDF, measure 3 inches in from the left edge and mark the MDF. Also measure 3 inches in from the right edge and mark the MDF.

Line up your marks and cut those corners off.
Check out the pic below to see how I cut off those corners.

Step 2 – cutting your dowel rods to size:

The Liberty cargo area should already be equipped with pre-cut slots for installing a security cover. We will be inserting the dowel rods into those slots to secure our shelf. We will call these slots the “pre-cut slots.”

The skinny dowel rod (1/2”) fits into the pre-cut slots near your back seat (where the security cover would go if you had one). The fat dowel rod (5/8”) fits into the pre-cut slots that are near your tailgate.

The skinny dowel rod needs to be cut in half. The longest one they sell is 48”, and you need one that is 50”. So, I cut it in half and just spaced it in the middle. Just cut it in half and you will see what I’m talking about later.

The fat dowel rod needs to be cut down to 46 inches. Just pick a side, measure 2 inches from the end, and hack it off.

Here is a pic of what should be your final products after cutting. I also put the glue and screws in the pic:

Step 4 – adding the skinny dowel rod:

Take one piece of the skinny dowel rod, pick a side, and measure 1 inch from the edge and mark it. You want that 1 inch to protrude off the edge of the MDF so that it fits securely into the pre-cut slot.

Pick the left side or the right side of your MDF, line up your mark with the edge of the MDF, and secure the dowel rod to the rear edge of the MDF with the wood screws. I did this by drilling a pilot hole through the dowel and the edge of the MDF, then inserting a screw. I did one on each end of the dowel rod and then a couple in the middle for support and alignment.

FYI - You will need to repeat this process for the opposite side of the MDF. You will have about a 2 inch gap between the dowel rods on the rear edge of the MDF.
**Also, make sure your 1 inch protrusions are EXACTLY an inch. I did this by ‘test fitting’ it into the pre-cut slots. I actually made the protrusions too small so I had to take one of the dowel rods off and move it further out to make it fit. I had to re-drill pilot holes, etc.**

Here is a couple of pics of what you are aiming for here:

Step 5 – adding the fat dowel rod:

This one is just about the same as the skinny one, but actually a little easier.
For the fat dowel rod, measure 2 inches from either end and make your marks. Just like the other dowel rod, you will want these 2 inches to protrude off the edge of the MDF so that it fits securely into the pre-cut slot.

Line up the marks on your dowel rod with the corners of the MDF on the front edge. Secure with the wood screws after drilling pilot holes just as before.

Now you’re done. Make sure it fits and trim the dowel rods if necessary, but mine fits like a glove.

This is just the skeleton work. Like I said, it could use some re-enforcement and then carpet for a finished look. I’m probably going to buy a 4-foot 2x4 and glue or screw it to the bottom along with that left-over MDF. That should make it sturdy enough to hold quite a bit.

Happy Jeeping!

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

Post subject: Re: HOW TO: cheap DIY shelf for cargo area
PostPosted: Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:47 pm 
LOST Member

Here are the additional mods I did to make it more sturdy, and with the carpet added:

HOWEVER, I just took it out on the trail, and the wooden dowels in the rear didn't hold. The shelf is super strong, but those dowels buckled under the weight bouncing around with the jack on top. I'm probably going to get a 50" piece of construction rebar or something to stick on the rear instead of the 1/2" wooden dowel rod.

--- '05 KJ sport--- 3.7L V6 auto --- 16" Amer Racing Mojaves (teflon coated) --- 2.5" daystar lift w/ BFG K/O AT 245/75/16 & rear OME N132L shocks --- Mopar Front/Trans/Tranf Skid --- front/rear tow hooks --- Cobra CB w/ 24" Firestik --- custom rear cargo area shelf --- 10" bazooka bass tube ---

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 12:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

btw do one solid dowel!... if you dont no matter what you will have flex in the middle and issues

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 11:00 am 
LOST Member

with the support beam i bolted to the bottom, i dont get any flex. The shelf is solid. The issue was that the weight of my stuff on those little wooden pegs was too much. The shelf is super sturdy, but the pegs holding it up were too weak for the weight.

Btw, i needed a 50" dowel for the back. They only make them up to 48" (4ft) at home depot.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I see a child car seat in the back. To be honest that setup with the hi lift looks like a death trap in an accident. The MDF will crack and turn that lift into a very large and deadly projectile. The shelf itself is a good idea.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 4:32 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

i think i am going to make myself a shelf like this pretty soon...nice write up :D

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Tue Jan 05, 2010 5:49 pm 
LOST Member

lol i knew if i put that pic in there it would get comments. I just took a pic of that to show how sturdy it is. Im not driving with it like that :)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 1:05 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

GoodAScoolwhip wrote:
lol i knew if i put that pic in there it would get comments. I just took a pic of that to show how sturdy it is. Im not driving with it like that :)

i'm gunna have to call the LIAR card on ya

first post i believe it is said
Quote:
I am also looking to add some u-bolts on top to secure my hi-lift jack to it.

:roll:

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 9:46 am 
LOST Addict

Jeepin_it_real wrote:
GoodAScoolwhip wrote:

i'm gunna have to call the LIAR card on ya

first post i believe it is said
Quote:
I am also looking to add some u-bolts on top to secure my hi-lift jack to it.

:roll:

:ROTFL: :goink:

PostPosted: Wed Jan 06, 2010 11:33 am 
LOST Member

wow, really? Cuz i need to lie on an inet forum. Get a life. Yeah, i said i was thinking about mounting it there, but it is not mounted in the pic. Its just sitting on there to show the durability of the shelf.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 16, 2010 1:54 am 
LOST Member

I have created one similar to this. I used 3/4" square aluminum to make side rails to bungee to. I'm working on a way to hinge it and use hydraulic lifters to keep it up or down. My main issue is that I still want it to be easily removable. I will go to Lowe's tomorrow to look at some materials. Hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

Custom made intake, Custom made rear shelf
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/monsieurglen/

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2010 7:25 pm 
LOST Member

Nice I just finished mine. i only used one dowel rod and my cut was a bit different (fits snug as bug). I will post pictures soon

PostPosted: Sat Jul 24, 2010 3:22 pm 
LOST Member

MonsieurGlen wrote:
I have created one similar to this. I used 3/4" square aluminum to make side rails to bungee to. I'm working on a way to hinge it and use hydraulic lifters to keep it up or down. My main issue is that I still want it to be easily removable. I will go to Lowe's tomorrow to look at some materials. Hopefully I can get some pics up soon.

If you go to my imageshack you can see the pictures of what I have done so far.

Custom made intake, Custom made rear shelf
http://profile.imageshack.us/user/monsieurglen/

PostPosted: Wed Jul 28, 2010 11:56 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

Buying the material after wednesday next week...really excited for this

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2010 2:53 pm 
LOST Member

you like?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 5:27 am 
LOST Newbie

I really like the idea of the extra light on the rear glass!!
I think i MUST have one too!!!
Does it run on batteries? Do you have apart number?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 11:50 am 
LOST Addict

They are stick on LED lights they are made by Sylvania and are battery powered 2 AAAs i think. I saw the at lowes yesterday when i was looking for light bulbs.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 1:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Got it!
DOT IT BLACK LED SWIVEL LIGHT 36050 by Sylvania

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sylvania-DOT-it-Lin ... ltDomain_0

Thanks! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 3:04 pm 
LOST Member

thats right its real usefull but some advice buy some double sided tape, the because the original glue melts in the sun.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 24, 2010 1:23 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks for the tip! 8)