Transgo Shift Reprogramming Kit
KC Driving Lights & Aux Backup Lights
.......all GONE!

Post subject: Re: Cut Wheelwells Out
PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Okay, alright already !!! :lol:

Well I'll get more pics up in a day or so, but just didn't want to see a x6,7 & 8 :)
I haven't really done any thing more since the last update except put the flares on and just a slight bit more trimming to them. ( at the rear corners of the front ) I plan on getting it back on jackstands this Saturday and see how much I can really take out of the rear wheelwells at the front of the tire. As everyone knows that is where the interference is for the back. No, I don't have new adjustable tracbars ( although they would be nice 8) ). I'm am just going to have to do things the cheapskate way and chop out everything that rubs. I do have a buddy that does the fabricating for us in the shop gonna help me with this one. My wife suggested me getting another cheap car to drive every day so I could " do whatever you want to then " ! :BANANA: Probably be a couple months for that to happen tho' so I need to at least be able to drive it back and forth to work for now. I'll get some more pics of the driver's side and whatever I come up with for the rear up in a couple days.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:28 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

adjustable rear lower arms would only compound the problem , then the front of the diff would be pointing down causing driveline vibes.

Just weld up the rear doors and start cutting , you've already went this far :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
adjustable rear lower arms would only compound the problem , then the front of the diff would be pointing down causing driveline vibes.

Just weld up the rear doors and start cutting , you've already went this far :roll:

I welded up a soda can today...........I'll do it for ya Larry :jester:

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:

DON'T TEMPT ME !!! :-)r

BugginKJ wrote:
I welded up a soda can today...........I'll do it for ya Larry :jester:

I may have to take you up on that! My " buddy" was going to show up and help both Saturdays I have worked on this ... never heard from him til Monday morning in the shop. :roll: "Oh yeah, I forgot, I lost my cellphone, my Ford Exploder is broke down, I met this chick Friday night and ..." ... OK the last one is a good one. Anyway, Thanks Hart. Guess I may have to go with the Jeepers to back me up. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 9:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

8) anytime :SOMBRERO: oh and I will probably be at the shop this weekend so just let me know 8)

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 6:33 pm 

Larry called and asked me what I thought about his cutting more out of his fenderwells

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OK, Tom beat me to it!!! :)
Here is the pics everybody has been screaming about
1 & 2 .this is the clearance you have if you're brave enough to try and fit 285/75-16 tires
3. First remove the flares, as you can see there is about an inch of body under and behind the curve of the door
4. I marked on the body using the door as a template. I didn't think I wanted to go any farther back than that.
5,6 & 7. You can see where I trimmed the body even with the door to about the second hole then curved out to meet the rest of the wheelwell radius
8. There is also a pinch weld in the front of the rear wheelwell that I pounded down.
9. I had a fabricator from work helping me with the welding. (This makes for a much nicer and cleaner weld :lol: )
10. Freshly ground and welded
More to come:

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Okay,
11,12 & 13. This shows the welded edge and again you can see where I pounded down the pinch weld in the middle.
14. Cleaning it up some
I will kindof lump the last pics together. These show how we capped of the end of the rockers and then cleaned them up.
And the Passenger side :
This last one from Tommudd actually shows how much sheetmetal was trimmed back in relation to the flare. The body used to be all the way to the end of the plastic.
And there you have it... who said 33's won't fit?
:goink: :goink: :goink:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2010 5:31 pm 
LOST Addict

awesome!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:06 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Post some full pics of it. I want to see it with them big arse tires on!

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:51 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think you're slightly insane

but I've sat here and grinned ear to ear the entire time i've looked at this pics

that rear rocker trim may end up coming in handy even for some of the SFA guys

that was the one spot ohv's rubbed, don't know if he ever got the rear axle centered so that it didn't but the few times i saw it it rubbed right where you trimmed even if only slightly

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would actually like to cut mine up later in my KJs life. I want to lower it a bit but still fit bigger tires. I could call it "Lower Fourty" or something original like that. :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for the comments, I will get some pics up of the KJ from the side so you can see both wheels soon. I know several people have said I'm crazy to be cutting like I am, but it's mine so I figured I'd just go for it. Tom keeps pointing at the 410 diffs in his garage and I'm sure those will be coming soon! Wether Tom's or from somewhere else, I definitely need 'em now! Mileage has dropped thru the floor!!!!! Can't run OD at all.
I only got about an inch off the front of the rear wheelwells but it was enough to clear. I figure if I can get these to clear at 22.5 where I'm at, they should have no problem once I get to 23 3/4 :lol: . I have the front flares off right now, so on to the next project ... similar to what Durangotang started a while back.

Flat fenders!!!!! I'll start another fab. post on those as I make progress :) (I've already started the prep work :BANANA: )

Again, Thanks all, keep eggin' me on, who knows where I'll end up :pepper:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:55 pm 
LOST Newbie

Neatus wrote:
I would actually like to cut mine up later in my KJs life. I want to lower it a bit but still fit bigger tires. I could call it "Lower Fourty" or something original like that. :wink:

If you lower your SFA lift, do you have clearance over your front upper arms??... I have read in the SFA section if you don't lift 8-10" you doesn't have enough clearance over the front solid axle... :?:

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 2:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Chino78 wrote:
Neatus wrote:

If you lower your SFA lift, do you have clearance over your front upper arms??... I have read in the SFA section if you don't lift 8-10" you doesn't have enough clearance over the front solid axle... :?:

I think I have room to drop it about 2 inches

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Neatus wrote:
Chino78 wrote:
Neatus wrote:

I think I have room to drop it about 2 inches

Then your lift would be 6"?? Is it possible??

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:43 pm 

larryewaller wrote:
Tom keeps pointing at the 410 diffs in his garage and I'm sure those will be coming soon! Wether Tom's or from somewhere else, I definitely need 'em now! Mileage has dropped thru the floor!!!!! Can't run OD at all.
I only got about an inch off the front of the rear wheelwells but it was enough to clear. I figure if I can get these to clear at 22.5 where I'm at, they should have no problem once I get to 23 3/4 :lol: .

My 4.10/locked diffs are sold, can't have them :wink:
23 3/4 going to buy a 6 inch lift are you?