It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: winch mount/ hybrid steel and OE plastic front bumper.
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, guys. Onward with some kind of roof rack.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

nosnorb_808 wrote:
NICE! I LIKE IT!!! How much?! LOL... I want one.

let's see.... 55 bucks for a center section of a universal hitch, 299 for a Smittybilt winch, 30 for welding supplies, 30 for broken drill bits, 35 for grade 8 hardware, 70 bucks for a 1 1/4 inch RotaCut :shock:, 20 for sawsall blades and a cutoff wheel. 20 for relocating windshield washer tank, 50 for switches,wiring and LED stuff, 20 for paint, 27 for the lights, and 30 for misc stuff.

Oh, I almost forgot. 20 for 2 T shirts that caught fire while grinding and welding, 3 for bandaids and anti bacterial for deep wounds suffered working with tools that really want to hurt you, and who knows how much gas running parts and puter time looking for ideas and how to's. Yup, back at it after my right eye heals from something flying into it despite a full compliment of safety gear.

656 for stuff. 23 for whine factor. home made winch that works......... priceless!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 2:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stumpjumper_09 wrote:
From the Crayon drawing I was expecting it to look like a plow frame. But it turned out Awesome!!!

:ROTFL:

PostPosted: Sun May 23, 2010 7:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You should be proud candpliberty -- it looks awesome and now your KJ is unique and better prepared for off-road adventures. 8)

MtnLuvr's Off-Road Front Winch Bumper, Heavy Duty Rock Sliders, Heavy Duty Off-Road Rear Bumper/JBA 4" AaS Lift w/UCAs/16x8's w/ 245/75R16 GY MT/Rs

Coming: :twisted: :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 2:44 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, mtnLuvr! We just got back from Congress, Wickenburg, Arizona area. Beautiful country! I wish the stock tires would wear out! I need some serious tires!

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:27 am 
LOST Member

candpliberty wrote:
Thanks, mtnLuvr! We just got back from Congress, Wickenburg, Arizona area. Beautiful country! I wish the stock tires would wear out! I need some serious tires!

And you didn't drop a line in the AZ LOST section? I love that area, I live about 30 minutes from there and have spent countless hours just roaming around and hiking. What did you do / go see out that way? You didn't take the back way up to Yarnell from Congress did you?

Anyways, that winch concoction up front looks pretty sweet. Can't wait to see what you crank out next :BANANA:

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2010 3:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

No, we didn't go the back way up to Yarnell but we were staying at the LDMA RV park. We took a drive to Prescott through Yarnell(on pavement) to have dinner one night and hit Walmart. We were down there prospecting on their claims and through the Weaver mining district. Didn't find any gold but met a bunch of great people and saw a lot of pretty country.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:31 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

candpliberty wrote:
Sorry for the crayon drawing. Round tube outer loop, square tube "jail bar" radiator skid.

I'm back at it. I'm building a skid from the front factory skid to the winch plate. 1x2x.125 and 1x1x.125. Found a access panel thats .065 thick to fill in the skid. I also widened the front factory skid with a outrigger of 1x2x.125. welded some bracing to the front skid mounts to strengthen then and to create a slot to accept thre bottom of the new front skid.
Bottom, sides and top of the frame
Added 3 inside verticle legs from top to bottom(no pic) and started cutting the panels
oil filter access panel
Ready for paint

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2012 4:38 am 
LOST Member

Quote:
656 for stuff. 23 for whine factor. home made winch that works......... priceless!

I agree 110%!!

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:30 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

That looks nice!!

May I suggest adding two more Grade 8 bolts directly below the winch one on each side of the reciever tube going directly into the face of the KJ front cross frame. This would give you a direct pull support directly under where the stress of winching will come. It looks strong as hell already, but I like overkill. and this will allow you pull strength vs relying on the shear strength of your bolts.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like to error on the side of excess also. The 2 rear winch mount bolts run through the cross member then through the winch plate. You can see the square washers made out of 3/8" steel just to the rear of the receiver tube brace. The other 3/8" brace runs to the cross frame with another piece of 3/8" for a back washer inside the cross brace. 2 more bolts hold the winch plate,near the ends, to the cross brace. All grade 8. Do I need any more? :D The first 2 are visible in the last picture just above.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
That looks nice!!

May I suggest adding two more Grade 8 bolts directly below the winch one on each side of the reciever tube going directly into the face of the KJ front cross frame. This would give you a direct pull support directly under where the stress of winching will come. It looks strong as hell already, but I like overkill. and this will allow you pull strength vs relying on the shear strength of your bolts.

I was born in Japan(in Osaka) Lived in Nagoya and Yokohama. My Dad would turn me loose at the surplus sales at Tachikawa AFB and hung out with him on the staging pier for Viet Nam in Yokohama (Pier 39?) Moved stateside in 1968. All fond memories!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:07 am 
LOST Member

Quote:
70 bucks for a 1 1/4 inch RotaCut
Those look like a great companion for my recently purchased tubing notcher!! Your Jeep is looking great!

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin'WNC wrote:
Quote:
70 bucks for a 1 1/4 inch RotaCut
Those look like a great companion for my recently purchased tubing notcher!! Your Jeep is looking great!

Went through 1/4 wall like nothing. Used lots of cutting oil! Thanks, brother. I'm working on a few more additions to clean it up.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

For weight savings, I used a couple of exhaust tubing(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001AGN2NA/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00).One U bend(http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000CQFQWE/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00)
Half of the U bend(90) cut in half( 45) angled, then welded back together.
OE side marker light that was on the lower section of plastic bumper. Opening cut next to turn signal and mounted with original clip.
extensions to oe frame ends
Finished bumperettes with 18 gauge sheet metal filler panels cut from cardboard patterns.
Rustoleum black bed liner on winch plate, frame, fairlead, bumperettes and plastic flares.
BTW, I fixed the runs in the bed liner!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 4:45 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks pretty good from what I can tell. Any chance you can take some better pics?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 5:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Elmer, what would you like to see?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 10, 2012 7:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

stripped to the bone.
Extension
mounted with 2- 1/4" x 4 bolts and a 3" #14 sheet metal screw.
The end view with the bolts screwed into the extension.
underneath:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking great! How about a full frontal view showing both sides? I really dig those side tubes made out of exhaust!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'll shoot some pictures during the daytime.