It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:01 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: 302 V8 KJ - Caution - Wildman's on the loose again!
PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 5:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Weelllll ......... :juggle: SEMA huh? I wish I had the bucks to just drop off the libby and tell the shop " yeah, I want I want a V8 in this thing, and make it a 5.7, and while you're at it go ahead and put a blower on it, and heck you might as well throw a SAS under it while you got it apart!!!!" Mine is taking me A LOT longer than I wanted it to, but it's all being done in an open driveway, with hand tools and a welder .... on a budget ..... while being underemployed ....... with a disabled wife and no insurance, while spending 1000 - 1500 a month on prescriptions for said wife.

If you read the whole thread (I know it's long) you'll see that I AM using an older motor. It's a 302 out of a '71 Mustang. I AM ditching the tranny and transfer case. I went with a C-4, completely rebuilt with a full manual reverse pattern valve body, a bell housing from an older Bronco and a manual shift BW1354 transfer case from a Bronco II. I don't know why you would need to change the pedals? Since I live in NW Ohio I have no smog laws to contend with so all that is no issue for me. If you live in an area where there ARE smog laws and inspections then the engine and electronics you mention HAVE to be used to keep it compliant. I may still go with a fuel cell as I progress but it's not really necessary. If I knew where you were located or what shop you were affiliated with I may be able to decided if there were questions that you may be able to help me with, but other than money I think I'm doing OKAY so far.

And ....... I'm not holding any details back! My entire swap and ALL issues I encounter are here on these pages for any and all who are interested and/or would like to try this major undertaking!

Thanks for the tease on the next V8, I'm sure we'll all be watching and waiting to see it, and all the details soon!

Oh and PM me if you have any questions about the swap or electrical issues that I can help YOU with!

Larry - aka KJWildman

*grumble*grumble* muttering under breath* "holding back details ..... can't tell you this or that ...... why even mention it ..... 1st post anyway! ......."* grumble* grumble*

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2012 6:53 pm 
LOST Member

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

2011 LTZ CrewCab Z71 4x4 Silverado.
Steel Green Metallic.
2" Leveling Kit.
33" Mastercraft A/T-2
Ranch Hand Grille Guard.
Black Low Profile Kobalt Tool Box.
Front & Rear Huskey Liners.

PostPosted: Sun May 27, 2012 2:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

v8libby wrote:
I can't give specific details about my build until after the next sema show, where it will be on display. I can however say that it is packing a 5.7 hemi with all the latest and greatest electronics, and its supercharged so I can give some tips. First avoid all the latest motors there electrical system is the biggest pain to try to work with. If I was not doing this for work I would have never did a motor with so much electronic crap. It would have been 1/10th the cost to do a older style motor. As long as your sure you want to do this you start with removing the old motor and all the trimmings. At that point you can decide what you can move to get the space you need (this is a great time to do a sas). You might as well ditch the tranny and tcase while your at it. You will probably need everything from the petals, to the gas tank(look into fuel cells). It's a long road but its well worth it. If you have any specific questions about your build I will be able to help so pm me.

FIRST, ya might want to read :roll:
ya putting flowers in it like a bug? :shock:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 4:53 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Dang :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:
After reading this I may have to change my game plan.
It seems that my tranny and transfer case may not hold up to the 427 side oiler I was going to use :furious: :dizzy:

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 10:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

KJWildman wrote:
Weelllll ......... :juggle: SEMA huh? I wish I had the bucks to just drop off the libby and tell the shop " yeah, I want I want a V8 in this thing, and make it a 5.7, and while you're at it go ahead and put a blower on it, and heck you might as well throw a SAS under it while you got it apart!!!!" Mine is taking me A LOT longer than I wanted it to, but it's all being done in an open driveway, with hand tools and a welder .... on a budget ..... while being underemployed ....... with a disabled wife and no insurance, while spending 1000 - 1500 a month on prescriptions for said wife.

If you read the whole thread (I know it's long) you'll see that I AM using an older motor. It's a 302 out of a '71 Mustang. I AM ditching the tranny and transfer case. I went with a C-4, completely rebuilt with a full manual reverse pattern valve body, a bell housing from an older Bronco and a manual shift BW1354 transfer case from a Bronco II. I don't know why you would need to change the pedals? Since I live in NW Ohio I have no smog laws to contend with so all that is no issue for me. If you live in an area where there ARE smog laws and inspections then the engine and electronics you mention HAVE to be used to keep it compliant. I may still go with a fuel cell as I progress but it's not really necessary. If I knew where you were located or what shop you were affiliated with I may be able to decided if there were questions that you may be able to help me with, but other than money I think I'm doing OKAY so far.

And ....... I'm not holding any details back! My entire swap and ALL issues I encounter are here on these pages for any and all who are interested and/or would like to try this major undertaking!

Thanks for the tease on the next V8, I'm sure we'll all be watching and waiting to see it, and all the details soon!

Oh and PM me if you have any questions about the swap or electrical issues that I can help YOU with!

Larry - aka KJWildman

*grumble*grumble* muttering under breath* "holding back details ..... can't tell you this or that ...... why even mention it ..... 1st post anyway! ......."* grumble* grumble*

I have to withhold details for now yes but since this has went so far over budget and took way to much time there is literally 0% chance of it being offered to the public as a turn key swap for people to do I will be able to post ALL the details... Honesty I would much rather have built mine like you are ( except without the disabled wife, I broke my back 7 years back and I was the disabled one. My wife was a angle throughout it and I couldn't have got through it without her, I personally can't start to imagine what its like to be on the other side of that. With that alone I'll say your a stronger man than ill ever be, but the fact you can manage to build a v8 libby and work while being there for your wife is unbelievable.). Back to the jeep, I have read enough of your thread to know that you are capable enough to do the build on your own, but I figured I have a very good deal of resources I can use to help you not that you need it. I only mentioned that I'm doing a v8 swap so you would know that if you have an issue chances are I either have already figured it out on mine or would work hard to figure it out because I would have to deal with it eventually anyways

About it being my first post I have spent a crazy amount of time on this website and others like it and have never had something I couldn't find by searching.

As for asking you questions that's still a very large possibility, even with my build drivable and almost done (well it will never be completely done) I still have a lot of issues (specifically with the electronics).

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

v8libby wrote:
I can't give specific details about my build until after the next sema show, where it will be on display. I can however say that it is packing a 5.7 hemi with all the latest and greatest electronics, and its supercharged so I can give some tips. First avoid all the latest motors there electrical system is the biggest pain to try to work with. If I was not doing this for work I would have never did a motor with so much electronic crap. It would have been 1/10th the cost to do a older style motor. As long as your sure you want to do this you start with removing the old motor and all the trimmings. At that point you can decide what you can move to get the space you need (this is a great time to do a sas). You might as well ditch the tranny and tcase while your at it. You will probably need everything from the petals, to the gas tank(look into fuel cells). It's a long road but its well worth it. If you have any specific questions about your build I will be able to help so pm me.

Sorry mate but I believe you're wanking up the wrong tree. If you had the slightest clue about Chrysler's modularity between models you'd know that it's not necessary to replace the transmission when installing any engine, from the 2.4 to the 6.4, at least from a drivability standpoint. The 42RLE may not handle the torque of the Hemi with a supercharger, but it's equally unnecessary to supercharge a Hemi in a KJ...it's not like it's going to run much faster than a 13,5 second ET in the quarter mile either way.

The electronic "Crap" as you put it is what makes everything less ghastly. It makes vehicles easier to service, it makes them more reliable (oh no, I have gone 3,000 feet more above sea level! Now my CJ6 will not move under its own motivation!), it makes them just plain better.

If it were easier to get it done with an older engine, this project would have been done two years ago.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:
v8libby wrote:

Sorry mate but I believe you're wanking up the wrong tree. If you had the slightest clue about Chrysler's modularity between models you'd know that it's not necessary to replace the transmission when installing any engine, from the 2.4 to the 6.4, at least from a drivability standpoint. The 42RLE may not handle the torque of the Hemi with a supercharger, but it's equally unnecessary to supercharge a Hemi in a KJ...it's not like it's going to run much faster than a 13,5 second ET in the quarter mile either way.

The electronic "Crap" as you put it is what makes everything less ghastly. It makes vehicles easier to service, it makes them more reliable (oh no, I have gone 3,000 feet more above sea level! Now my CJ6 will not move under its own motivation!), it makes them just plain better.

If it were easier to get it done with an older engine, this project would have been done two years ago.

Actually the 42RLE will not bolt to HEMI nor the 2.4 gasser.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:
v8libby wrote:

Actually the 42RLE will not bolt to HEMI nor the 2.4 gasser.

So you're saying Chrysler changed the bellhousing bolt pattern from 2003 to 2004? Seems quite a feat to change such a major casting simply to fit an inferior transmission.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:
So you're saying Chrysler changed the bellhousing bolt pattern from 2003 to 2004? Seems quite a feat to change such a major casting simply to fit an inferior transmission.

It's not the bellhousing that won't bolt up,besides for the 2.4 gasser as that is totally different.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

tjkj2002 wrote:
WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:

It's not the bellhousing that won't bolt up,besides for the 2.4 gasser as that is totally different.

So how would one put a later model 3.7 into an earlier KJ then? What's preventing them from bolting together?

Inquiring minds want to know.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:08 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:

It's not a matter of difficulty.
This project would have been done if I hadn't lost my job and health insurance, the economy hadn't tanked, my wife hadn't hurt her back .....etc.! Maybe I wouldn't have lost my house to the bank, spent all my savings just trying to survive and put the project on the back burner. Aw hell, I've already gone over it before!

TJKJ can talk about the technical aspects of the different engine/transmission combos if he wants, just don't clutter up my thread with a huge debate going back and forth!

Post subject: 302 V8 KJ - Caution - Wildman's on the loose again!
PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:
Sorry mate but I believe you're wanking up the wrong tree.

Haha! Nice seeing Welsh words.

Anyways,
Larry I hope your Jeep gets done sometime soon. If I do a v8 swap, it will be a Chevy 350.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:16 pm 
LOST Addict

Your issues will come with the Chevy 350s distributor being really really close to the fire wall.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:38 pm 
LOST Addict

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
WelshCherokeeCRD wrote:
Sorry mate but I believe you're wanking up the wrong tree.

Haha! Nice seeing Welsh words.

Anyways,
Larry I hope your Jeep gets done sometime soon. If I do a v8 swap, it will be a Chevy 350.

Use an LS motor with coil packs, no distributor worries. 5.3 trucks motors are pretty plentiful and easy to get bunch of power out of them

ImageImage

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:44 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:
Use an LS motor with coil packs, no distributor worries. 5.3 trucks motors are pretty plentiful and easy to get bunch of power out of them

I have also considered the 4.7 v8 and others.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2012 4:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Just wanted to pop on and say it is looking great Larry! Been on FB following. Glad to hear things are getting better. Slow as it may seem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:36 am 
LOST Junkie

SOld the liberty a while ago...but still very interested in seeing this beast fire up and wheel. Love the 302 and miss my KJ dearly so I cant wait to see all your hard work come to fruition. :JEEPIN:

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
TAHOE wrote:

If you go the 4.7l route Id get the HO as these engines dont respond to mods very well compared to other v8s. Sure youll get a bit extra umph but nothing like a ford chevy or even other mopar engines.

Fran:2002 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7 quadra drive. 31in General Grabber AT2, OME HD, bilstein, IRO sway links, addco rear sway. Kolak 3in cat back flowmaster SUV 50, magnaflow 3in cat, airaid JR kit, ram air, P.I.E. aux adapter, surco 45x50, husky liners.http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=65276&p=719908#p719908

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 11:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

liquidxit2 wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:

If you go the 4.7l route Id get the HO as these engines dont respond to mods very well compared to other v8s. Sure youll get a bit extra umph but nothing like a ford chevy or even other mopar engines.

Waiting on my friend to finish the v8 swap on his Liberty. He used a 4.7L from a Grand Cherokee. Everything is going great with his swap. It just needs an ECU and headers.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 12:41 pm 

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
liquidxit2 wrote:
blackwidowkj06 wrote:

Waiting on my friend to finish the v8 swap on his Liberty. He used a 4.7L from a Grand Cherokee. Everything is going great with his swap. It just needs an ECU and headers.

:ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL: :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:32 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:POPCORN: hey tom pass the butter

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next