It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:17 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: 385HP KJ - Caution - Wildman's on the loose again!
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Scott, I respect your opinion, but I have begun the first stages now. :lol: But don't let that stop you from pointing things out as I go! Go ahead and rain, I've got a canopy set up now! :-)r
From the wiring diagrams I have of my '02, the starting and charging systems, the warning systems which consist of engine warnings(oil pressure, temp., fuel, airbags, antilock brakes), and trans control module (TCM), all go thru the Powertrain control module via PC Bus. These are coming out. I will have to install new gauge cluster because those won't work. My KJ doesn't have ABS or ESP so I don't have to worry about that. Also will probably lose A/C which hasn't worked in 2 yrs. anyway! Oh well! No cruise either.
Most of the rest of the systems are wired thru the power control block under the hood and the fuse block and I would almost consider stand alone systems. These do go thru the Body control module (BCM) but I'm pretty sure this will stay and work the way it's supposed to. The following systems will be good (according to my diagrams :roll: ) : Windshield wiper/washer system, Power windows, power door locks, tailgate wiring, Heater/blower motor system, :roll: All exterior lighting and headlights will still work as will interior lights.
As far as the mechanicals, well .... I know driveline angles are critical, everything will be set with digital angle finders and double checked all the way thru. I don't want to finish this and not be able to drive over 30 mph! But I'm very confident in the knowledge of some of the people I'm asking advice and help from. Some from here, some from the Hot Rod scene around Toledo who (like you) have built customs from the frame up (including the frame), a couple guys from the local dirt track. One has offered me one of his "spare" used 20 gallon foam filled Dirt Late Model fuel cells for $100! :shock: So with the help of my LOST brothers and a few other friends we'll get this done! 8)

Last edited by KJWildman on Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:14 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

THIS IS GONNA ROCK! :rockon: :rockon: :rockon:

Franken/Jacked
265/75 Duratracs
Skid Row Skids
RED LED Overheads and Footwells
Custom TJ Bumper
4x 100w Hellas on rack
Nokya Hi-Watt headlight bulbs
Blacked Stockers
Thrush Welded muffler
K&N Filter
Custom Boiler Rack

Soon:More Lights, ARB/Winch

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 1:54 pm 
LOST Member

JustinP wrote:
I love to see other people try new stuff.

Fixed that for ya. :ROTFL:

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Yokohama Geolandar AT/S 235/70/R16
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:07 pm 
LOST Member

In all seriousness, I wish you luck, Wildman.

I've known some people who did some seriously unorthodox things to a vehicle and had people warning them all the way through they would regret it... but they were smart, tenacious people and they succeeded. I have a friend who put a manual transmission on an E-type Jaguar replacing the old slushbox- it had never been done and everyone on the Jag forums told him it wouldn't work. Six months later he had the whole thing installed, working, and his installation method and custom mounting brackets became the standard for Jag enthusiasts to swap in a manual tranny. He now sells his mounting brackets through an online classic car parts shop that specializes in Jag parts.

So success can be had........

Either that or you'll end up on the floor of your garage in the fetal position in tears with creditors' calls piling up on your answering machine and your wife packing her bags to go live with her mother. :ALONE:

Let us know how it turns out.

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 2:26 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

jnaut wrote:

Either that or you'll end up on the floor of your garage in the fetal position in tears with creditors' calls piling up on your answering machine and your wife packing her bags to go live with her mother. :ALONE:

:ROTFL: Now thats FUNNY....his wife just left to go to her mothers last week,
one down............................

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 3:23 pm 
LOST Member

Best of luck, it's definitely going to be interesting to watch the progress in the coming months.

From what I can understand, it sounds like your basically going to convert this into a trail vehicle and not worry too much about the creature comfort's that it currently has.

In essence, you basically going to convert it over to a bare bones vehicle for the trails. This notion is not all that different to what owner's have been doing to their wranglers for years now. If this is the case, have fun with it.

However if your intentions are still to use it as a daily driver. I think your trading one minor headache with the current valve train, for a a whole new set of brain twisters.

Sunroof
Reese 2" Class 3 Hitch for towing the sleds.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 4:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

99_XC600 wrote:
Best of luck, it's definitely going to be interesting to watch the progress in the coming months.

From what I can understand, it sounds like your basically going to convert this into a trail vehicle and not worry too much about the creature comfort's that it currently has.

In essence, you basically going to convert it over to a bare bones vehicle for the trails. This notion is not all that different to what owner's have been doing to their wranglers for years now. If this is the case, have fun with it.

However if your intentions are still to use it as a daily driver. I think your trading one minor headache with the current valve train, for a a whole new set of brain twisters.

I might as well address this here in the first couple pages. Yes, I am taking a lot of the "creature comforts" out. It will have no A/C, nor cruise control, it won't get very good gas mileage, I won't be able to license it anywhere else than Toledo if they have smog checks, and yes, eventually it will end up as a trail only rig! But it's my playtoy and I'm having fun with it. My wife's Charger should be paid off next year so that will let me get another car payment then for a new DD and REALLY go to town on it! :twisted: when it does hit the road again, it will still have power windows and door locks, wipers will work,the heater will still work and it will have a kickin sound system and the sunroof will still operate. Oh, and the motor pops when it idles! :twisted:

jnaut, The credit cards are already maxed and like Tom said, my wife left for her mother's house in Lakeside, CA last Saturday and won't be back til the middle of July! :ROTFL: She said I could do this, but she just don't know yet what she agreed to!!!! :twisted: :ROTFL: She may go back to her Mom's! :ROTFL:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:23 pm 
LOST Addict

Go for it Larry. I have an old Astro buddy who put a 502 Ram jet in a 97 GMC Safari AWD van.... we all read his threads in awe. it was totally awesome. He had an unlimited money source from his business and it was amazing when he got done... a lifted AWD Van with a 502 ram jet, 4L80E tranny with a custom 12 bolt rear. And he made a custom enclosed van/camper trailer to match after he cut up the front of a donor van he used for fitment.
He had the vision and did it so I say go for it!!!!!

ImageImage

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TAHOE wrote:
Go for it Larry. I have an old Astro buddy who put a 502 Ram jet in a 97 GMC Safari AWD van.... we all read his threads in awe. it was totally awesome. He had an unlimited money source from his business and it was amazing when he got done... a lifted AWD Van with a 502 ram jet, 4L80E tranny with a custom 12 bolt rear. And he made a custom enclosed van/camper trailer to match after he cut up the front of a donor van he used for fitment.

Thanks Marty, I wish the unlimited budget was in the cards for me, but it's not! :evil: I suppose I could just as easily picked up a cheap 350/400 combo or a 5.0 for the project. But that would add weight, then I need new suspension too. I am actually losing weight with this swap and still gain at least 150Hp! I think I'm gonna like it!!!!!!

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:50 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:
TAHOE wrote:

Thanks Marty, I wish the unlimited budget was in the cards for me, but it's not! :evil: I suppose I could just as easily picked up a cheap 350/400 combo or a 5.0 for the project. But that would add weight, then I need new suspension too. I am actually losing weight with this swap and still gain at least 150Hp! I think I'm gonna like it!!!!!!

A 302 with alloy heads will be about the same weight as the 3.7.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tjkj2002 wrote:
A 302 with alloy heads will be about the same weight as the 3.7.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm ....... :juggle:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 1:53 pm 
LOST Member

If Wildman succeeds with this project, he may have the first highly modified trail only, trailered KJ. Just like those Cherokees you sometimes see with no doors.

04 3.7 Sport.
Auto Trans
Garmin GPS on RAM Mount

Mileage Trend:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 6:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jnaut wrote:
If Wildman succeeds with this project, he may have the first highly modified trail only, trailered KJ. Just like those Cherokees you sometimes see with no doors.

WHADYA MEAN IF? :-)r

I WILL SUCCEED .... DAMMIT!

I did talk to a guy with a post on CL that had a '79 Bronco with no body, just Frame, 302, Auto Trans and NP203 Xfer Case with Axles and driveshafts. He said he could start it and actually move it around the yard! ... $700

Also saw ... '71 Ford 9" rear AND D44 front for $550 ... Hmmmmmmm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 7:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

KJWildman wrote:
jnaut wrote:

WHADYA MEAN IF? :-)r

I WILL SUCCEED .... DAMMIT!

I did talk to a guy with a post on CL that had a '79 Bronco with no body, just Frame, 302, Auto Trans and NP203 Xfer Case with Axles and driveshafts. He said he could start it and actually move it around the yard! ... $700

Also saw ... '71 Ford 9" rear AND D44 front for $550 ... Hmmmmmmm

Skip the '71 stuff unless you want pricey boat anchors.Skip most of the '79 stuff also,the '79 9" is good and the engine/trans/t-case but the rest is useless.

The 203 can be disassembled and the doubler can be mated to a 205 to make one killer t-case combo.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 4:52 pm 
LOST Addict

If they can stuff a Viper V10 in a TJ, then you can do this!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 9:33 pm 

Went with Wildman to Harbor Freight this evening
and look what he got!

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

OHHHHHH!!!! I want one of those!

L.O.S.T. #DW090501

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:17 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ya, Bought the KJ some stuff! :lol: Engine stand and a 12 ton hydraulic pipe bender! :BANANA: This just opens up the possibilities tremendously!!!!! :BANANA:

Hmmmmm... lets see... new heavier expedition style full length rack, sliders, tube doors, tube bumpers ..... HHMmmmmmmmmmmm exocage? Hmmmmmmmmm.

wait!!! focus Larry, focus
Well all that comes after the current project which this thread is supposed to be about! Today was a turning point! And boy did it turn!! The 385Hp, 2.8L, V6 Ford is no longer in the plans. :( Nothing wrong with it, just ... plans change ...

How about the first 302? :BANANA: From today on that is the end goal! I am hoping the timeline doesn't change much, but after talking to everyone, I just figured " Go Big or Stay Home !" ... "If you can't run with the Big Dogs, stay on the Porch" and all the other sayings that go with it. I have been watching CL and am ready to pounce now. I'm watching for a Bronco or F150 with 302, auto and xfer case that I can pick up cheap. After all, I live in the rust belt, and once the bodies go, people around here seem to dump them for cheap. :BANANA:

This weekend the plan is to pull the grill, radiator and anything else in the way. Then hopefully get the motor and trans/xfer case out and start going through and ridding the engine compartment of excess and unnecessary wiring. Hopefully by next weekend I will have the new engine combo here and I can start getting it ready to hang so I/we can figure out motor mounts, trans mounts, xmembers, cooling, radiator, exhaust ...etc., etc., etc.

104days, 1 hour, 43 minutes and 17 seconds til ECS ... tick,tick,tick

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 10:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hey Larry what size does that bender bend up to? :twisted:
I just might know of a F150 that your lookin for, I'll find out first thing tomorrow :shock:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jnaut wrote:

He ain't gonna need a trailer!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 29  Next