It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next
 Post subject: Re: Project "Thunderstruck" - KJWildman's never-ending V8 s
PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2015 11:22 pm 
LOST Addict

Come on Tom, become a part of the 4.56 club!!!

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2015 11:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Good gods... I just read the entire thing in one go. What kinda whackos have I joined up with? :dizzy:

Ricky Parker rear bumper, SkidRow tank skid

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 2:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ascender wrote:
Good gods... I just read the entire thing in one go. What kinda whackos have I joined up with? :dizzy:

:oops:

'02 KJ, sbf 352 stroker V8, custom lift, 33's, custom flat fenders
'91 XJ, 4.0, 4" I.R.O. Long arm, 33's, bumpers, lights, winch and stuff

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2015 6:17 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Ascender wrote:

Only one, you've met me so you know I'm normal
But Larry , well maybe someday you'll meet his wife, she'll fill you in :ROTFL:

Count Down,....41 days until its been 5 years :goink:

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

'05 WK limited, loaded, stock, my DD

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 10:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

So, a quick update:
Yes I'm still here, it's still going together!
As the shop was putting things together, he discovered I had missed a part! (Imagine that!). On late 70's sbf's there is a shim plate that goes between the block and tranny that among other things acts as the starter shim. ... I didn't have that. He had to pull the engine out again and try to locate one. He got it late last week and it will go back in later this week. He works on small in and out jobs Mon - Thur morns and then mine and another truck ( a Cyclone BB swap) Thurs afternoons and Fridays. The engine SHOULD go back in this week. The transfer case came up missing while in storage so now I need another one of those. It's slow, but going together. Another couple months probably.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 1:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

Very impressed.

As my 07 Nitro and 06 CRD liberty age out, I have toyed with the idea of swapping a Mopar V8 (Hemi preferred) into either of them, I also considered it for my TJ build.

I am told that the late model Hemi trans bolts right up to the 231-- correct splines and all. I also heard that the Hemi bolts to the 5-speed manual in the TJ. The CRD has the 5 speed auto so it would also be a reasonable swap if the CRD dies an early death.

You sure took the bold route with a Ford SB!!

2006 Liberty CRD Limited, 1997 Jeep TJ project (Rock Krawker 4 link, Dana 44 G2 with ARB locker front and rear, tube fenders -- more to come), 2007 Dodge Nitro (JBA headers, Custom dual exhaust with Flowmaster 50, K&N, Chip), 2006 Landrover LR3, 1968 427 Tripower Corvette, 1951 Pontiac straight 8, 1994 Chevy 9C1 Police Cruiser with LT1.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 6:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks! No V8 swap is easy in a KJ. I'll have way more into it than I would ever get out of it. But it'll never get sold so that's a moot point. I bought it new in 01 with 3 miles on it and I'll have this one forever.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 09, 2015 9:50 pm 
LOST Member

Yes sir-- Well said-- Few people get to experience a well built 4x4 ,, but even fewer people get to experience a very well built KJ… The people looking down at a Kj really don't have a clue ….. :5SHOTS: :5SHOTS: :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 1:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well ... another year has passed!! I'm bringing Thunderstruck home! NO IT'S NOT DONE! :banghead: I "thought" I had it at a decent off road shop ..... but :furious: ! I went by two weeks ago and out in the shop there sat my KJ with the engine hanging on a cherry picker over the engine compartment. Over a year in this guy's shop and what has gotten done? Engine out, then in, then out, 4.88 s and locker is installed in the jba steel diff and ..? Well ... that's about it! He has almost ALL the parts! Steel diff, ARB air locker and 4.88 s for the 8.25, rear truss, 4 link parts for rear, all the engine swap parts, aluminum radiator, new dash and gauges .... close to 10k in parts sitting there and NOTHING GETTING DONE!!

I'M DONE!!!!! It's coming home and I don't care if it takes another 5 years, I'll do it myself!!! What makes me mad is, at the time, I told him I had a budget plus parts. I bought all the parts, gave him 4G up front and said there was plenty more if he could just do it! Well, he's not doing it ..... he just lost out on 20k in labor!!!

I'll update with the current state of "Thunderstruck, the never ending V8 swap" when it gets here in a week or two.
Thanks for reading!
Stay tuned!

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 5:34 pm 
LOST Member

Shame,,,, I wish I was Closer, I would love to live a hand....

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:07 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Heeeeee's hooooooommmmmeeeee¡!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now to do an inventory, make sure everything is still there (he just piled all the parts inside, it's a jumble!) and get it in the garage!

PostPosted: Mon Aug 08, 2016 4:58 pm 
LOST Member

Well Lets get with it Cuz....

PostPosted: Tue Sep 06, 2016 7:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

don't make me come up there.
:twisted:

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Any updates?

2012 Bright white KK - Steelcraft black brushguard, painted black rims (didn't know it was so popular lol), 1" clevis lift in the front, RS Chip (woke her up!), magnaflow muffler + resonator delete and a few other small mods.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2016 5:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

He'll update.....................maybe....................in another year :juggle:

2007 Wrangler - traded

2010 Wrangler Rubicon

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2016 11:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Eh ...... not a year John! :ROTFL: LOL!!!!

So, did the inventory .... called the shop where it was SUPPOSED to be getting worked on and :furious: ...... "nope ... nothin' here, I put EVERYTHING inside!"

I'm missing a few things! :banghead:
ALL my gauges are GONE!! :furious: I had them all in a separate box with a gauge wiring harness I made up, installed in the customized stock dash cluster. Autometer speedo, tach, fuel gauge, oil pressure, trans temp, water temp .... ALL GONE!!!
No power steering pump, brackets or hoses, MSD 6AL ignition box ..... ALL GONE!!!

:juggle: Guess, I'm starting over on some of that! Some of the brackets that hang the pump, alternator I'm going to have to hunt down and source again now. The gauges? Not sure what I'm going to do there yet. Thinking maybe I might cough it up and just get a Racepak dash.
A lot to rethink right now. Got some other things going. Still have the '04, the WK just tossed the trans this week so going out this weekend to look at other new CARS. Yes .... a car! Whatever it ends up will be AWD. Anybody know?? Can ya lift a awd CTS?? :JEEPIN:
Anyone have any knowledge of the BMW xdrive awd system?

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 1:31 am 
LOST Addict

Sucks to hear about everything missing and WK tranny tanking.

For gauges, I'm a sucker for analog. I really am not a fan of the new digital gauges, whether it be racepak or factory. That said, I know a lot of guys love the racepaks (especially the new generation) and the amount of information they tell is absolutely insane. It'll also be a lot easier, and probably cheaper, than a set of custom gauges. You can make both look good, just depends on the amount of work and money you want to put into it.

Lifting cars....I know you can lift a Subaru... :jester:

I don't know much about the new awd systems though. Audi is supposedly great. As long as you have a set of snow tires they supposedly do quite well in the snow. BMW, my friend loved all of his, and misses them (he now owns a Mercedes). It shouldn't be too bad. The problem with cars tends to be the ground clearance, unless you're running performance tires in the winter/snow. Don't laugh, the idiots here in NY, especially on Long Island, do. You should see all the stuck BMWs, Mercedes, Audis, etc when we get snow, even if it's only a dusting.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 2:25 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ya, the info is insane you can get from the racepaks. Just add the sensors and a piece of wire. You can also get the GPS speedo input which eliminates some headaches. We'll have to see after the first of the year. Got Christmas coming up. It'll probably be a couple months yet. The whole lifting a car thing was a joke, but am looking this weekend at something. Yes, now that you mention it Audi could be on the list too. There's also the awd Charger?
Hmmmmm, I'll have to see what's out there in my area here. Got a lot going right now. We just bought another house last year and had it remodeled before we moved in. In the next couple months we're building a "yuuuge" (20×28') deck w/14' gazebo off it (footers going in this week), 20kw whole house generator, new a/C & furnace and a holding tank booster pump system going in for the well and just bought a new woodburner stove today that's going in the 28th.
So "Thunderstruck" sits in the garage and waits for me to decide what's next. Who knows ...... may just rip it ALL out and start over from scratch! Hmmmmm ...... 392 Hemi? :BINGO: Think it would fit? LOL!!!!
That's a joke guys!! Just kidding! :jester:

Or am I? :juggle:

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:35 am 
LOST Addict

Yeah, you could do an awd Charger. I don't think they make Hellcats awd, so that motor is out lol.

Sounds like lots of bills haha. At least you can enjoy it all soon enough.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 562 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 25, 26, 27, 28, 29  Next