It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Off Road Trailer Project
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 7:51 pm 
LOST Addict

Since I'm all about gangster I decided it was time to get into the off road trailer scene. There's a lot of trails out here that can take multiple days to complete so it'll be nice to have. I also got a screaming deal on a Mombasa tent to put on top when it's done. Special thanks to the boss who will let me keep it on the lot in between phases.

What it is so far:
A perfectly squared frame made from 3 inch channel and measures 75"x49" the cross members are 2"x3"x3/16" angle iron. The front tongue is also 3" channel and has a 2" receiver welded in so it can be an adjustable length tongue. It has a brand spankin new set of tires that are Jaxxon ST205/75D15 with a 5 on 4 1/2 bolt patter (same bolt pattern as Most Jeeps), and a brand new Hendersons trailer axle 61 inches wms to wms. These wheels will eventually match what's on my rig (either OEM or aftermarket).

This is probably the hardest part of the build, the next step is to build a box with tailgate and lid that's strong enough to support the weight of the tent and me. Once it's done, it will get a phosphate bath and the whole thing gets powder coated silver (we have an 8' x 8' x 16' oven... gangster). I will probably spray the cargo area with Vortex Liner.

I will post more progress pics but right now I am balancing this, new tires and a timing belt. The goal would be to have it completed in time for EJS; of course if this sucks up all my $ it may be done but I won't be there.

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

Post subject: Re: Off Road Trailer Project
PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 8:39 pm 
LOST Member

This seems pretty neat. Good luck. Will be watching. :D

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JL Rockies wrote:
The goal would be to have it completed in time for EJS; of course if this sucks up all my $ it may be done but I won't be there.

Hmmmmmm ... sounds like my project! :lol:

JL Rockies wrote:
Since I'm all about gangster. we have an 8' x 8' x 16' oven... gangster..

Another Hmmmmmmmm .... Our oven on the powder coat line is 75' X 215' with 6'W x 9' H openings with an overhead continuous conveyor system ( not an indexing system) that carries parts in and out for us! It will carry through the 5 stage Pre-Rinse, the Zinc Phosphate tank and 4 more rinse stages, then a Dryoff oven, through the powder booths with automatic spray systems, touched up by manual guns then into the oven. We also have a 20,000 gallon dip tank PPG Electrocoat system that runs next to the Powder line. We E-Coat and/or powder coat anything in production runs up to and including entire assembled 8' GM Truck beds. Gangsta?

Am I a big deal too? :ROTFL:

Just messing whicha JL :ROTFL: Sounds like a cool project, Good Luck! 8) :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 14, 2010 9:34 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looking good JL. Can't wait to see how it turns out. 8)

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 11:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice! An idea like this has been on my mind too. I'm keeping up with this thread! :CAMPING:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 15, 2010 5:18 pm 
JACKRABBIT
JACKRABBIT

I am also thinking of making a trailer for my lib. I am thinking of purchasing a army trailer thing and just making it look up to date.

Mods:Exterior: Frankenlift + 2 extra rear iso, JBA UCAs, ARB Bumper w/XRC8, Safari Snorkel, 265/75/16 AT, Mopar Skids, Boulderbars, RL Gecko Sport Rack
Interior: Infinity Reference speakers, 12" Alpine Type R Sub, Alpine radio, Gauge Pods (Oil, Volts), Cobra Cb, All J Interior Rack

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 5:48 pm 
LOST Member

I assume your using the pintle style hitch to achieve a greater range of motion.
If so, that was a good idea.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 6:48 pm 
LOST Addict

This project has been sold. I will be making a stronger frame with a different suspension. After talking with some experts, I had concernes about this set-up's longevity especially dragging it over ledges and bouncing it off rocks. I was glad to be rid of it before too much time was put into it. I believe the new owner is going to use it to tow his ATV's around.

I will start another thread with the new build... it should be some hot effing jockmah

RL rear bumper, ARB front bumper, Mile Marker winch, Power Tank, Skids by Mopar & Skid Row, RL Super Skink Sliders, 235/85R16 MTR, Air Flow Snorkel, DTT, 4.10 gears, Frankenlift II, Katskin leather, JL Audio stereo, Rosen video.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 16, 2010 7:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JL - did you see what pixeldzn did for his trailer?
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=20953&hilit=trailer

it's been a couple of years - you might ask him how it's held up