It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:30 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: rear cargo shelf
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 6:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

I made a couple changes. I used 1/2 inch MDF and ran an aluminum channel along the bottom to keep it stiff. I used spray adhesive and staples to cover it in black canvas.

Samco Hoses
Carter Lift Pump

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:17 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Very nice. so profesh! Are the handles for tiedowns, handling the shelf or both?

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 9:42 pm 
LOST Newbie

They work great for taking the thing in and out. I haven't tied anything to them yet, but I'm assuming they'll work great. In all honesty, they're mostly for looks. Sort of like bed-rails.

Samco Hoses
Carter Lift Pump

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I like it! find a cargo net that will fit the shelf!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:35 am 
LOST Newbie

Just built this getup for my CRD. It was VERY easy and has already been very handy. I built it saturday night. I used an energizer magnetized click light to put under it (so i could also use it under the hood when necessary) and also put handles on the sides for tie downs and removal. I was going to use a thick rubber instead of carpet but the local hardware store didnt want to cut a giant sheet down a bit for me. Other upgrades i will do on it are hooks underneath, holes to hold the rear headrest, PVC to hold my D cell maglite, and a fire extinguisher mounted on top. That should finish it. I will post pics once all this is complete.

06 Jeep Liberty CRD Sport 112K miles, Clevis Lift, Front bumper trim, Straight Pipe Exhaust, Open Air Box Mod, PCV Bypass, Cobra CB, Rear Cargo Deck, 6 Lights, Roof Rack

PostPosted: Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Can't wait to see the pics! :-)r

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 12:18 am 
LOST Newbie

My sub doesn't sound any different. More importantly the shelf holds all my wife can pack on it without any sign of stress. I think its the best bang for the buck fabrication I have ever done.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 2:15 am 
LOST Newbie

Update on the strength of mine... I was concerned about using 1/2" MDF and the aluminum channel running across the bottom. A couple weeks ago we had 8 people in my car (sober DD +7 drunks). When we arrived downtown I learn my friend (160 lbs) had ridden the whole way on top of my cargo shelf. 8 miles with bumpy gravel and poopy pavement. Result: a little dirty, but otherwise fine. BTW, we were at a party, a sober person drove us downtown, I didn't realize there were 8 of us until we got there= spare me the safety lectures.

Samco Hoses
Carter Lift Pump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Screw the safety features. What was the seating arrangement? :shock:

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

rossignol292 wrote:
...we had 8 people in my car...
Almost beat my personal best of 9 people in a Liberty, driving through the streets of Manhattan, lol.
I don't recommend that.
Driver, two in passenger seat, 4 in second row, and two in the trunk.

Oh, and nice shelf.

8)

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

We had driver, 2 in passenger, 4 in backseat, one on top of shelf

Samco Hoses
Carter Lift Pump

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

wowwie! :5SHOTS: