It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Info ion fabtech prerunner bumper
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Quote:
Next came a need and desire for a front bumper. I knew there were a few options out there for KJs but none of them fit into my future plans for my jeep. I wanted something small and compact that would work with a winch, and looked good (as far as my taste goes). I looked around and searched for bumpers that might work. I have always been in love with the Prerunner bumper made by Fabtech for Wrangler TJs and LJs. It fit all the things I wanted and looked for in a bumper for my jeep except it isn't made for a KJ...
So I luckily had a buddy with this bumper and I was able to take measurements off his and modify mine to work on my jeep. I added a Harbor Freight winch plate that I cut and welded in to place and I love the way it turned out.

Quote:
I bolted mine on with 4 grade 8 bolts on top through the upper cross member and I used 4 of the existing mount points from the tow hooks for the bottom. I also made a 1/4" thick steel plate for each side and the upper bolts run through those and they act as extra surface load to spread out on. I have winched myself up a 4 foot rock, had a CJ8 literally get a running start and yank my jeep off a log and had countless other recoveries with it. It has never budged in the slightest bit.

Quote:
I bought a winch plate from Harbor Freight yesterday and cut and fit it to my Fabtech front bumper. I welded it to the mounting arms as well as the main lower round bar of the bumper. It turned out great, but I don't have pics yet. I just need a haus fairled, winch and some synthetic line and I'll be good to go. I may not run a winch, haven't ever planned on it, but I wanted to get rid of the plastic Bushwacker shroud I had covering the empty space meant for a winch plate and looks like mission accomplished.

Harbor Freight Winch Plate link courtesy of Joey: http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/d ... mber=90476

this is all i have....pretty straight forward build. The bumper has the tabs, they just have to be extended. as you can see the mounts are on top and bottom. i wish INC was still a member, but hes not

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

Last edited by JeepMorrison on Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Info ion fabtech prerunner bumper
PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:12 pm 
LOST Addict

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 05, 2010 5:04 pm 
LOST Addict

sweet pictures. his rig looked awesome.

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:06 pm 
LOST Addict

I just wonder how aero dynamic it was... hehe

PostPosted: Sat Nov 06, 2010 1:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

who cares, that was one sweet KJ!!!!!! :lol:

Just talked to him the other day on a different (non jeep) forum. Was asking him about his boatside rails. Might send me some pics of those so I can try to kind of duplicate ( with my own twist, of course! :SOMBRERO: )