It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 7:19 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Firestick CB antenna (rear bumper mount)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 7:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This past Sunday, I was bored and decided to mod/fab up my own CB antenna mount. Here are the results...

Post subject: Re: Firestick CB antenna (rear bumper mount)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:10 pm 
LOST Addict

is the mount grounded? it should be.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

dont worry...it's mainly for looks. i haven't used my CB once

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i appriciate your concerns, but i was just testing it out. ive had it on less than 3 days and it's still holding up. the CB isn't on at all or plugged in. i don't understand what you all are trying to tell me.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:42 pm 
LOST Addict

Wow, where do I begin? This is one of the stupidest mods I've seen for a Jeep. An improperly mounted antenna for looks? That antenna mount won't hold for long, but I guess that doesn't matter cause the radio won't work worth beans with the way it's mounted. :roll:

Please, please, please really get the Jeep thing. Do research before you do any more "mods". Learn to do things right or don't do them at all.

Do you really want the vast majority to shake our heads in disgust?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

A vehicle isn't yours till you learn to wrench on it yourself.

2002 Jeep Liberty Sport (Eugene, I am the Passenger, And I ride and I ride.)
1999 Chev Astro 2WD (Green, Daily Driver)
1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Screw L.O.S.T...i've had it with this!!! Every time I post something on here I get hounded by people on here. Some Moderator please block this post. i see it's going to cause problems. People could be abit nicer to me and suggest a better place?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
Wow, where do I begin? This is one of the stupidest mods I've seen for a Jeep. An improperly mounted antenna for looks? That antenna mount won't hold for long, but I guess that doesn't matter cause the radio won't work worth beans with the way it's mounted. :roll:

Please, please, please really get the Jeep thing. Do research before you do any more "mods". Learn to do things right or don't do them at all.

Do you really want the vast majority to shake our heads in disgust?

:banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

HEY!!! Why don't you just be abit nicer okay?? instead of dogging me about a mistake I apparently didnt know i made??? i can do whatever i want to my Jeep. I pay for it and I think i do a lot for people my age. most people my age do not have the things i do..im notta freakin' genuis with jeeps..give me a break

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 8:55 pm 
LOST Addict

My dear this is the first I've replied to one of your posts. I have seen others try to help you in the past, only to be shot down by your lack of skill/experience. Most newbs thirst for knowledge, and I hope that you can do the same.

The first two replies in this thread tried helping you, but were brushed off. Do you want to be taken seriously?

1997 Chev Astro AWD (Grumpy "The Heep", $250 Rally Van, 335k miles, 2" lift, 31" tires)

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i don't care anymore...it's just an online Jeep club to me. some take it too far. people on here could be a bit nicer about it instead of being mean...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:09 pm 
LOST Addict

Personally, I'd want people to call me out if I made such a mistake.

Your first reply should have been along the lines of, what's grounding? Is it possible to properly ground my antenna where I have it?

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

:POPCORN: :5SHOTS:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:17 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

99.8 % of the people on here are more than ready and willing to help anyone who comes on here. That is why this is one of the best, if not the best site for KJ and KK owners. Also any Jeep owner really.

When someone posts up what they have done they do it knowing that others will comment about it. Most times before anything is done they will say for example " What is the best way to mount a CB antenna?"
Other times the person tries something new and then asks, " What do you think of what I did" Knowing full well that they will get a lot of remarks both good and bad.
For example my rear bumper cut, I did it full well knowing not all would like it, some even told me not to do it. But I did it anyways and guess what those that said not to, now have cut theirs.

Now back to your recent post, people were trying to tell you what could possibly be a problem and doing it nicely.
I suggest you go to Pirate 4X4 and post the same thing and wait 25 minutes, then come back and report the results telling us which site is nicer to be on :wink:
We're all trying to be nice, ..............................
:POPCORN:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Check my posts and you will see that I'm generally a friendly guy, willing to help all be it on line, in person or via phone.

Dig enough and you will see that I have been corrected on this site and have graciously accepted the correcting, knowing that there is still plenty for me to learn.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 9:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just get a piece of backing material to the other side, the antenna, similar to hella's people have mounted to the front bumpers, will eventually pull the screws/bolts through the plastic just from the stress of movement. May not happen this week, but eventually it would, and the resulting holes in the rear fascia would be difficult to conceal

Even if you take a piece of thin flashing material, and some decent sized fender washers to distribute the stress, it would greatly improve the chances of those screws or bolts not pulling through

-----

In terms of functionality, if you chose to do so, you can additionally ground the mount from the backside by using braided ground straps to the chassis

Or.

Use a antenna designed for use on fiberglass boats or motor-homes, similar to the Wilson Flex-4, it has a connection below the antenna near where it screws to the base which is used for supplemental grounding when you don't have a grounded mount

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ihatemybike wrote:
Personally, I'd want people to call me out if I made such a mistake.

Your first reply should have been along the lines of, what's grounding? Is it possible to properly ground my antenna where I have it?

yeah but i don't like the fact you said it was stupid...ehh oh well who cares.... it was better than where i had it before...

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I couldnt find the other parts to it....i searched for them (that is the back to it). and i have no idea what your talking about when grouding...it's working fine now as is...i will fix it later when i get the money. i havent gotten a check in 3wks!!!! needless to say im ticked!!! if i had gotten my check by now the antenna would be fixed...the cb itseld isnt on right now...i dont use it. haven't had the chance to. i never hot wired my CB or used the fuse pannel ( i guess thats what you call it). instead i bought a cigarette adapter and wired the pos and neg from both the cb to the cig adapter. since my cig lighter up front on the jeep doesnt work, i ran the wire to the back cig lighter in the jeep. works fine with me. since we're on the topic of CB's....i believe i do not get a good signal because i am powering my CB through the cig adapter. if i had it hot wired or running through the (fuse pannel???) would my signal or whatever be better? i am not a electrical genius...but i know not to touch a hot fence :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 10:56 pm 
LOST Member

"grounding"- All electrical circuts have a positive and negative leg. The negative can be refered to as a ground. The are suggesting that the antenna mount be grounded to the Jeep. This can most easily be done by securing grounding wire to the rear of your mount on one end and the body (inner fender area out of sight) on the other.

As other suggested create a back plate or it will rip out causing a nasty blemish at best.

Good luck

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:07 pm 
LOST Addict

I called the mounting as I see it. It's not mounted in a way that's good for signal or long term usability. Straight up, the antenna will eventually wiggle enough to rip the screws right out of the plastic.
blackwidowkj06 wrote:
and i have no idea what your talking about when grouding...it's working fine now as is....

i believe i do not get a good signal because i am powering my CB through the cig adapter

You said it was working fine, then you don't get good signal?

Grounding has to do with electric currents and an ungrounded antenna will not work as well as a grounded one, hence bad signal.

JeepinJarhead has provided you with some good suggestions. I also recommend looking through the site at other CB mountings to find the pros and cons regarding them.

PostPosted: Tue Dec 14, 2010 11:54 pm 
LOST Junkie

blackwidowkj06 wrote:
most people my age do not have the things i do..im notta freakin' genuis with jeeps..give me a break

most people my age? Have you checked out Dalton's jeep build?

I would suggest thinking about what mod you want to do.....ask for knowledge/help..........search for the same. ALL BEFORE YOU TRY SOMETHING YOU ADMITTING KNOW NOTHING ABOUT!!!! :idea:

You need to be willing to take criticism when it comes to mods

As for the antenna it NEEDS to be moved. Unless you want to run a 8-9 for antenna from the back its not going to transmit or receive any single. The higher the better, and the less between it and the world the better.

:POPCORN: :roll:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 15, 2010 12:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The way she would probably use the antenna, for trail rides etc, all the antenna needs for half decent xmit/rec is for the tip to be able to "see" over the roof

but that being said, if you're having a bunch of whining from it, it's probably the fuel pump rather than your power wiring. Until the mount has a ground, it won't work properly

braided ground straps look similar to this, can get them pretty cheap at autozone and the likes

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-20308/?rtype=10

Like myself and a few of the others said, just want to make sure it doesn't pull through, you'll want something somewhat around 2x or 3x the size of the outside plate to distribute the stress

I'm assuming the portion of the bracket we can't see is similar in size to what we can see? About a 2x2 piece? A 3x3 or 4x4 piece would probably suffice to distribute it and can just use either half of the bracket to mark holes

Lift: ft. 790+ rr. JBA4+
The last of the TrailReady Front&Rear Bumpers and TR Rock Rails
Jarhead Offroad light covers
31x10.5R15 RedLetter Grabbers on Blackrock Dunes
L.O.S.T #KD098632