It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:18 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: And another set of crossbars gets posted
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 3:45 pm 
LOST Member

I used 1/2 inch galvanized pipe to make mine. Pretty simple. Cut to size, one 43 1/4 inch and one 46 inch, carefully lined up and drilled my holes for the U bolts, painted the pipe black, then glued on some rubber chair feet to cover the cut ends. After getting it where I wanted and locked down I cut the U bolts off to about 1/4 inch and covered them with 7/32 inch rubber vacuum line caps. Total cost was about $25. Got a bargain on the basket too. Found it on Craigslist for $150 and it came with the locking tire carrier.

I may replace the plastic fairing on the front with one made from metal. The guy I bought it from said he had replaced 2 in the time he had it due to the rubber washers around the screws deteriorating and the plastic cracking on the bolts. A nice piece of aluminum cut to fit and painted black would solve that problem. Getting ready to make a run to the hardware store in a few to get new washers for it.

Westin Bull Bar
AntennaX 13" Shorty Antenna
Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS

Post subject: Re: And another set of crossbars gets posted
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:41 pm 
LOST Member

That is exactly what I want on my Jeep.

Post subject: Re: And another set of crossbars gets posted
PostPosted: Thu Feb 03, 2011 7:46 pm 
LOST Member

iMTB wrote:
That is exactly what I want on my Jeep.

Money is so tight for me most of the time i thought I would never be able to afford one of the nicer baskets like the Yakima. I about fell over when I found one for $150 and it had the tire carrier already with it! Then the guy didn't respond to my emails for three days! I figured he had already sold it at that price. I got the call and had to rush all morning to have the crossbars ready to put it on after I picked it up that afternoon. Paint was still a tad tacky when I mounted it. lol. Now if I could get that miracle to come through so i can get a lift and tires I would be on cloud nine. I think my next small mod will be a light on the rear of the rack to illuminate the ramp and boat when I'm launching and retrieving at night. I'm thinking I'll put it off to the passengers side near the edge of the basket. That way it can also be used to light the driveway when I back the trailer in. I keep hopping the curb in the dark lol.

Westin Bull Bar
AntennaX 13" Shorty Antenna
Garmin Nuvi 500 GPS