It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:51 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: I hate the Gooberment Engahneered fuel can spouts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 6:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I hate spending 20 minuets putting 5 gallons (20L) of gasoline into my Generator with the Gooberment Engahneered spouts that restrict the flow to a dribble. Here is my solution:
BOM: One 1" X 5" Galvanized pipe nipple, One 1" Galvanized end cap, one 1" conduit nut, one R-25 "O" ring, & JB Weld
1) Grind the tabs off the conduit nut to make it smooth and remove any sharp edges. Photo angle made my conduit nut look weird, it is just an optical illusion.
2) Clean off the pipe threads with brake cleaner to remove any cutting oil.
3) Mix the JB Weld and apply to the threads and spin on the conduit nut, shove JB Weld into any gaps so the gasoline or diesel does not leak past, wrap electrical tape around the threads above the conduit nut so you don't need to file, grind, or sand down the JB Weld after it sets up.
4) Install "O" ring and make sure the JB Weld is on the back side between the conduit nut and "O" ring, remove any excess.
5) Allow JB Weld to set up, clean off any excess, and put the new spout to use.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

Last edited by warp2diesel on Sun Mar 27, 2011 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: I hate the Gooberment Engahneered fuel can spouts
PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:51 pm 
LOST Member

How are you doing a vent to prevent the can from burping as it pours? I too hate the new can spouts, but I think they have a small tube inside the spout to vent air, since they did away with the air cap on cans. Guess you could drill a small hole and cork it for storage.

85 F250 6.9 Diesel 250,000 miles
82 Mercedes 240D 330,000 miles
81 Mercedes 240D 285,000 miles
My kids think gas is only for lawn equipment!

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2011 10:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

jdorris wrote:
How are you doing a vent to prevent the can from burping as it pours? I too hate the new can spouts, but I think they have a small tube inside the spout to vent air, since they did away with the air cap on cans. Guess you could drill a small hole and cork it for storage.

Two options, one a vent in the top of the jug, another one would be to put a plastic tube inside the spout that vents to the top. I like the separate vent the best. What would work the best would be a vent that allows vacuum in but blocks pressure from going out to keep the gasoline from evaporating and going bad.
I will post a vent that works when I figure it out.

Fuel cooler, Oil Separator, Progard 7
Gauges EGT Boost Trans Temp Oil Pres, Michelin LXT AT2 245 70 R16
7,000# Draw Tight hitch, PML EX Deep Trans Pan
Centrifuge, SunCoast, Transgo, RAM TCM, InMotion Stage 2
Wife's 99 TDI VW Beetle

PostPosted: Sun Oct 09, 2011 11:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How about a small diameter hose attached to the inside of the spout long enough to go to the bottom of the can with a float on the end in the can.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 12, 2011 8:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

thats awesome, i know what im doing this weekend :BANANA: could probably do a similar thing for a vent at the other end with a smaller tube and a couple nuts and gaskets...idk would be hard to get the nut inside the tank started. ill think about it some more

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2012 1:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

From the :dead: :Opelboy, did you ever get the vent thing solved? I got a couple of Wedco/Briggs&Stratton 5 gallon steel cans with the goberment p.o.s. leak everywhere knozzle. I just want a solid cap and I'll either use a siphon or pour it into a funnel. I'm not into holding 50 pounds while the contents dribble out of the nozzle or all over me.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just buy diesel cans

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 12:35 am 
LOST Member

http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-1 ... per+siphon

[/thread]

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 1:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rich wrote:
http://www.amazon.com/Hopkins-FloTool-10801-Shaker-Anti-Static/dp/B000EH0ORI/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1377405310&sr=8-2&keywords=super+siphon

[/thread]

that be what I use. sure beats a mouthful of gas!

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:43 am 
LOST Member

I remember reading this post when it was new, and didn't really give it a thought; but I sure thought about it while pouring kerosene into my outdoor tank from a "new" five gallon can, at 3 am, in the snow...After making a roof rack/basket for my Jeep, I was at a tool store, and they had 2 gallon cans on sale...I thought "those look like they would be the perfect width to fit six wide across my roof rack!" I literally bought a tape measure, went outside, measured my roof rack, came back inside the store and laid six gas cans out in the floor and measured them...Perfect fit! (I already had one older can in the same size.) After buying the cans, they leaked, didn't vent, and didn't pour well from the new style spouts...I switch the "old" nozzle to the new cans to pour...After looking around online I found someone's solution to the venting problem...TIRE VALVE STEMS!!! You will need a drill (and bit) a valve stem for each can you want to vent, a combo valve core remover/puller, some fishing line, and one small washer . Drill a small hole through the top of the can, the correct size for your valve stem, on the back side of the handle, where the vents were on old cans...drop a piece of fishing line with a small washer down through the drilled hole and out through the pour spout opening, thread the cap of the valve stem over the fishing line and use it to thread the valve stem out of the drilled hole, use the combo valve core tool to "seat" the valve stem into the hole, then remove the valve core...When you want to pour remove the cap from the valve stem!

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 4:56 am 
LOST Junkie

Where there's a will there a way! :D

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2013 5:28 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin'WNC wrote:
I remember reading this post when it was new, and didn't really give it a thought; but I sure thought about it while pouring kerosene into my outdoor tank from a "new" five gallon can, at 3 am, in the snow...After making a roof rack/basket for my Jeep, I was at a tool store, and they had 2 gallon cans on sale...I thought "those look like they would be the perfect width to fit six wide across my roof rack!" I literally bought a tape measure, went outside, measured my roof rack, came back inside the store and laid six gas cans out in the floor and measured them...Perfect fit! (I already had one older can in the same size.) After buying the cans, they leaked, didn't vent, and didn't pour well from the new style spouts...I switch the "old" nozzle to the new cans to pour...After looking around online I found someone's solution to the venting problem...TIRE VALVE STEMS!!! You will need a drill (and bit) a valve stem for each can you want to vent, a combo valve core remover/puller, some fishing line, and one small washer . Drill a small hole through the top of the can, the correct size for your valve stem, on the back side of the handle, where the vents were on old cans...drop a piece of fishing line with a small washer down through the drilled hole and out through the pour spout opening, thread the cap of the valve stem over the fishing line and use it to thread the valve stem out of the drilled hole, use the combo valve core tool to "seat" the valve stem into the hole, then remove the valve core...When you want to pour remove the cap from the valve stem!

Hmmmm, or a chrome bolt in valve stem.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 4:51 am 
LOST Member

Wedco used to sell "water can spouts" that had the same thread as the gas can spouts... In truth they were just the pre-government regulation spouts we grew up with, with a different label. They can't sell them as gas can spouts, but they fit and work like the old versions.

Did you hear about the guy who was hooked on brake fluid?
He swears he can stop any time.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 9:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

JieselDeep, I believe you are right! Power to creative labeling! http://ezpourspout.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 10:16 am 

Thanks much for the tip; will head to Tractor Supply today to get some of the EZ Pour spouts. Been needing some of these for a while to replace some broken ones on older gas jugs!!! :wink:

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve