It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 6:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: adding interior storage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 9:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Anybody ever add storage in the back by cutting into the plastic either on the sides, the floor behind the rear seats, or the plastic on the inside of the tailgate? I've seen where people have made some custom cabinets, but I was hoping there was a little space somewhere back there that wasn't being used and could have a compartment squeezed in.

I was thinking at the very least of adding a marine deck plate with a storage bag insert or maybe even a small storage box like this:
http://tinyurl.com/3vgnltj from West Marine.

Anybody know if there's room somewhere?

Thanks for any help,

Post subject: Re: adding interior storage
PostPosted: Sun Jun 05, 2011 8:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

24 views and nobody else wanted to chime in so I guess I will! :lol: As far as the sides go I think the inside plastic fits pretty close to all the body panels and there isn't a whole lot of room there before you will be getting in to the wheelwells. On the tailgate ... even with all the cutting and welding I have done on mine I still have not had that back cover off to see what kind of room there might be there. It could be a good idea tho'! :2cents: The only thing I can tell you is to pull the cover off and see what kind of room you will need for that compartment and if there IS room ... start cutting!! Just make sure if you go for it to take lots of pics and make sure to post them for the rest of us!!! :mrgreen: It would be a cool mod and you would be the first!! :BANANA: I do know there are several different sizes to choose from. You might also try some of the other boating supply stores online and see what other kind of cut-in type compartments are available. :?:

PostPosted: Mon Jun 06, 2011 7:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks Wildman. I'm in the middle of building some home cabinets now, when I finish with that, I will probably pull off the plastic and see what space there is. Space or none, I will post some pictures for reference in case anyone else is interested.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 8:26 pm 
LOST Member

There is some space behind the plastic on the door, but not a tremendous amount as it is pretty much what you see is what you get. The interior of the door is somewhat hollow because all of the wiring.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 5:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

There is some room at the right hand rear quarter panel , just enough to fit the OEM CD changer. Look for the installation instructions of the CD changers ad you will see what I mean
http://www.justforjeeps.com/aucdchsixdi.html

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've got a rough drawing of a "divider" box I want to build for the cargo area. Keep my jack, jack stands, medcial bag/gloves, sub and toolbox all seperated and secured in case of an accident. I'm also thinking about adding a radio to the rear to be used when the back is open

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I put a QuickAir compressor in the rear on the passenger side in the quarter panel behind the net area where the accessory plug is. Wired it directly to the battery and mounted the chuck in the recess of the netted pocket. Works well so far.

The plastic is easy yo pull apart and snaps back like you would expect. I also thought about adding some insulation in the body hollows as well for cold night sleeping in the KJ.

'13 Wrangler Unlimited Rubicon, Trasharoo, Husky liners, Skid Row plates, Ursa Minor J30, Expedition One rear bumper & tire carrier, Rugged Ridge CB antenna mount, SuperStar 4900+ transceiver, iPad Mini with MotionX GPS.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:04 pm 
LOST Member

i thought I saw someone on here build a subwoofer inclosure into the rear door. so there is a little space there

PostPosted: Mon Mar 11, 2013 8:26 pm 
LOST Addict

You could always do like I did and get creative that plus a JBA rack doesn't hurt.
I also have a gallon ARB air tank hanging below it which allows my to run a 3/8 impact wrench easily.