It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: home made CAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I found this website while wandering around the internet http://www.siliconeintakes.com/and got a idea. Not cheap but works. first tank got me 1 1/2 mpg increase, mostly city, some highway. Seems a little peppier.
1-Aluminum tube, 3.5" 45 degree,pn SIL000287, $19.99
2- silicone reducers, 3.5" to 3.25", SIL000525, $11.99
2-T-bolt clamps, 3.5", CLA000105, $2.60
2-T bolt clamps, 3.25", CLA000108, $2.69 $54.37+$13.99 S&H=$68.36

I bought the 3.5 tube to go larger since they(as of when I bought the parts) didn't have a 3.25" 45 elbow.You could go to 3" pipe and use an 3.25 to 3" reducer. 3.25 fits very nicely over the airbox neck and the elbow that you cut out of the factory air inlet hose/duct.
cut off 1.375" off of one leg of the tube. I drilled 8 1/2 holes next to a piece of duct tape wrapped at 1.375" then connected the holes with a medium wood blade. Cut it like butter.
I cut off the elbow at the end of the "L" in 3.7L. You can see the aluminum cutoff iwith the 1/2" holes in the back of the picture
And ended up with this:
Another view:

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

Last edited by candpliberty on Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:16 am, edited 2 times in total.

Post subject: Re: home made CAI
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 2:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Removed stock snorkel inlet. I used a hole saw and cut some holes. All are easy to patch if you want to go bacj to stock.
Got one length of 3/4" closed cell pipe insulation from Home De Pot stuffed a length in between the air box and the fender.
Made a card board template for a divider wall to keep the hot air out.
I used a cement tub from Home Depot. I got the small one for 5 bucks and could easily got another blank out if it,$5.49.
Ust the curve at the bottom of the tub to make it work a little better.
Run some of the pipe insulation to fill in the gaps. RTV for glue. Trim the gasket on the hood that sealed the top of the stock snorkel. Run some more pipe insulation on the forward edge of the airbox top and on the the upper and lower edges of the plastic wall.
tri
Air intake is from a hole down between the airbox and the radiator wall, a hole in the radiator wall, atock air intake. I'm thinking of cutting a hole in the grill just inboard of the headlight and outboard of the outer slot.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.