It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: under the front seat fire extinguisher quick release mount.
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:27 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I wanted my fire extinguisher right by my driver's seat. I managed to mount my 5# Kidde under the seat behind the outside seat bracket. :D
Like most quick release brackets with a twist.
Pull pin from end instead of side

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

Post subject: Re: under the front seat fire extinguisher quick release mou
PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Seat removed for clarity, ready to mount
seat removed for clarity, mounted
seat mounted, extinguisher mounted. Pull pin visible.
Front mount bolt visible mounted as high as possible. seat position spring bracket bent upward with BFH.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 2:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Just need to make a lanyard out of red paracord, remove bracket, cleanup and paint. reinstall. Repeat on other side!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice Job!!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 3:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 4:34 pm 
LOST Addict

Thats awesome! Any better pics of the mount? Care if i copy your idea?

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Be my guest. I'll post some more.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 6:46 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I started with 1/8" thick angle with 1 1/4" legs. I cut 10" pieces for the part that mounts to the seat base. We'll call this the base. Some 1/8" x 1 1/4" flat stock cut 7" long work as the second side of the base. The other 7" piece will be the rib that mounts to the extinguisher. We'll call that the rib. A couple of other pieces was made from the flat stock. The dimensions are up to you.
The first thing I did was cut a groove in the base almost all the way through with a cutoff wheel in a 4.5" angle grinder. That made it easy to bend a 45 degree angle for clearance for the extinguisher to drop after pulling the pin.

Last edited by candpliberty on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 7:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The 2 pieces of flat stock 7" long get 1/4" hole. Stack them together, clamp and drill the hole at the same time. Use the cutoff wheel to make the slot at 45 degrees in one of them.
Lay the base down on the unmodified leg. put 2 utility knife blades 6 inches apart. Lay the slotted rib down on top of them. Lay 2 more utility knife blade spacers on top of that then lay the drilled flat stock on top of that. I might try using only one thickness on the other side. Slip a 1/4" bolt through all the holes and put a nut on the threads. Clamp and tack weld 4 or 5 spots. Remove all the spacing and weld full length on the outside of the groove(of course). Remove the blade and cut/grind/sand the top of the groove so when the blade is inserted, the exposed edge of the blade stands proud by a 1/8th to 3/16th of an inch. Grind away anything that doesn't look like a fire extinguisher quick release.
Now you need to build the quick release parts. You need 2 little pieces that welds to the base and one that welds to the blade. All three look sort of like like the outline of the state of Nevada with the bottom tip cut off. Since the pieces are so small I cut them large and cut and ground them off after welding. Weld on the outside of the groove to keep the groove clear of weld bead.
with the bolt installed, massage the lengths of the material at the quick release end of the blade to fit inside the groove of the base. Leave enough space for the blade to fall out easily after pulling the pin. Weld on the 3rd tab onto the blade. Grind off anything that looks like it doesn't belong. Put the blade in the base and clamp it together. Drill a 1/4" hole through all 3 pieces of what looks like Nevada parts. Chamfer all the edges to make it a little easier to pull the pin.

Last edited by candpliberty on Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 8:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is the quick release pin hole on the blade. You also see the cradle for the extinguisher. Using the cutoff wheel work a shallow slot a little wider and thicker than the hose clamp. The slot should be about centered on the cradle pieces. I hit the cradle pieces with a BFH to achieve the proper shape. A piece of flat stock is welded on to complete the cradle after the 2 curved cradle pieces are welded. Make sure the curved cradle pieces are aligned to each other so the extinguisher fits in both of them.

How's that? questions? 8)

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:47 pm 
LOST Addict

Dude thats awesome

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 12:35 am 
LOST Junkie

Great idea and nice job pulling it off. :D

I've been planning to add a fire extinguisher myself, but was going to bolt it somewhere in the cargo area. It would kind of suck to have to jump out, run to the back of the Jeep, open the gate, grab the thing, then FINALLY go to put the fire out. Your idea is excellent!

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 1:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm glad to find a solution. It only took half a year. It's going to just take a little tweeking with moving the extinguisher back and spinning it in the hose clamps. I think I'll paint the base gloss black to match the seat mount and the blade red to match the extinguisher. I gotta learn knot tying for the lanyard. :?:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:12 am 
LOST Junkie

candpliberty wrote:
...I gotta learn knot tying for the lanyard. :?:

Join the Boy Scouts. Or the Navy. They're pretty big on that stuff. :SOMBRERO:

927/948 OME Springs - Bilstein Shocks - JBA Upper Control Arms - Rage Black Widow Roof Basket - Viper 3606V Alarm System

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:53 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Done the Boyscout thing 45 years ago. I'm too old for the Navy. I'll figure it out. Something like this in Monkey butt red!:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:47 am 
LOST Member

Nice work, maybe i´ll also copy your idea... :wink:

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 2:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, guys! glad to help. 8)

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:06 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Nice work!!

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 8:56 pm 
LOST Addict

Some one should make them....im just saying that id buy a pair

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2014 9:59 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Helm. 4x4Kayak2112, I have a hard time keeping up with my stuff! I'm not as young as I use to be! Do you have a buddy that welds?