It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:04 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Roof rack design help/ questions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 3:08 am 
LOST Newbie

Ok so first project im basically ok'd by the wife for is a roof rack.

Roof rails were going to be 1.25"
Now should the crossbars (side to side running) be the same or should i go with say .75"?

Going to be a rack not a basket to eliminate tons of weight, since it more than likely will be steel not alum, unless the guys on base can do alum and $$ on it.

2nd ? Is thoughts on having crossbars go under the roof rails to create a lip on the sides, anyone see problems with this? I.E. Roof rails might be too tall to compensate the shortened space between roof and crossbars, or anythink else my sleep deprived brain isnt thinking of at the moment?

Post subject: Re: Roof rack design help/ questions
PostPosted: Tue Sep 27, 2011 11:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

ok, did some rethinking on my design, decided to mount crossbars to the rails even, not underneath.

Still would like to hear input on diameter size being 1.25" or .75" for crossbars, anyone?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you are going to make it out of 1.25" tubing, I think maybe it should all be the same size. If you do drop down a size for the crossbars, I would only drop to 1". Just my opinion since nobody else chimed in! :2cents: A drop in size to 3/4 would be a large difference and might look kinda small in comparison. whatever size you use, just go for it! Make sure to take lots of pics during fabrication so we can all see what you're up to! :POPCORN:

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:13 am 
LOST Newbie

ok thanks, will be pics when it comes time to putting it together, still in the drawing board stage at the moment.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I went with RRO rails that are 1.5" and made my own 1" cross rails.
http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=52956

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If your looking to build a rack and not a basket, take a look at RL's Sport rack. It's a very simple and nice design.
Or if your looking for a light duty rack, you could always drill holes in the factory rails just on the inside and run tubing cross ways to fit snuggly inside.