It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: DIY rock rail build
PostPosted: Thu Sep 29, 2011 12:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've been buying steel and hardware for some homemade rock rails. ( I bought $140 worth but I figured I'm using about $90 worth, 28 bucks for hardware) Stealing ideas from Rock Lizard and MtnLuvr. I'm trying to be original but these designs seem to be as far as one can go with simplicity, light weight and strength in mind. I thought I'd make a post and see if any of you could chime in and throw out some ideas.
Is there a reason that the support legs always has one perpendicular and another at about a 45 degree angle? Could all of the legs be at a angle?

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

Post subject: Re: DIY rock rail build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's for strength.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:04 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What about all the legs going off at an angle?

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You'd lose your multi directional strength.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 8:50 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

You need both like Buggin stated
the ones straight in are for a side hit say, the ones that angle are for say hitting a rock/tree when moving forward

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I think that makes sense. I'm just trying to come up with something different and better.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 12:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

candpliberty wrote:
I think that makes sense. I'm just trying to come up with something different and better.

RL's and JCR's are about the best designs out there if your looking to borrow from one. RL's are more heavy duty fyi.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:10 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

how about this. Image

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

That looks like it would be pretty study. Maybe having the support beams meet in the middle? I think would add some lateral stability

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
RL's and JCR's are about the best designs out there if your looking to borrow from one. RL's are more heavy duty fyi.

JCR?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
Maybe having the support beams meet in the middle?

Reverse (flop) the added "V" that's in the middle?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

candpliberty wrote:
Quote:

JCR?

Found JCR. I agree the RL's are much sturdier but the JCR has the 2x3 sliders. :?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:
That looks like it would be pretty study. Maybe having the support beams meet in the middle? I think would add some lateral stability

like this?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

candpliberty wrote:
candpliberty wrote:
Quote:

JCR?

Found JCR. I agree the RL's are much sturdier but the JCR has the 2x3 sliders. :?

Which is what I am running. They are very strong and well built, just a issue with the front mounting plate and 1 hole lining up with a subframe hole. See other discussions about the very subject. Easy fix however. I do plan on fabbing and welding on a new front mounting plate that will be longer so it misses that subframe hole and add a gusset. They will at that point be overkill. The design you have there is also overkill which is good but what ya have there is a bit too much and not needed. Plus ya also have to remember the more more ya weld on a tube the more ya weaken it, also don't weld all the way across the tube or you will create a severe weak spot.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

[/quote]
Plus ya also have to remember the more more ya weld on a tube the more ya weaken it, also don't weld all the way across the tube or you will create a severe weak spot.[/quote]

So you stitch all the welds? like 50% of the joint? What about water/ moisture getting in?

Post subject: Re: Re: DIY rock rail build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 2:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

candpliberty wrote:
cgass wrote:

like this?

No, like the original design. Just have all the support beams meet. I didn't explain that well

Post subject: Re: Re: DIY rock rail build
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

cgass wrote:

No, like the original design. Just have all the support beams meet. I didn't explain that well

like this:

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Yep, like that

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 5:23 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hi,
any chance once you have finalised the designs you could actually also add the correct mesurement you need to construct them? I am asking as I would like to see if I can get then built over here in the United Kingdom as to have them shipped over from the US it's like doubling the price of them if i bought them ex RL or JCS due to the weight of the item.
Tks,
Fil

Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators

PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 9:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pippobug wrote:
Hi,
any chance once you have finalised the designs you could actually also add the correct mesurement you need to construct them? I am asking as I would like to see if I can get then built over here in the United Kingdom as to have them shipped over from the US it's like doubling the price of them if i bought them ex RL or JCS due to the weight of the item.
Tks,
Fil

yup,no problem. I plan to post the build right here after finalizing the design.