It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 11:15 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Rear double decker swingout gas/cargo rack build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Hello again. I'm starting a build on the rear of my Liberty. I plan on a full with rack at the top with 2 Wedco 5 gallon gas cans in Blitz carriers on the lower level with a narrower rack so not to block the tail lights. I'm cutting the bottom of the bumper to accommodate a 2x2x1/8 tube with bronze bushed 3/4" grade bolt for a hinge. A second bronze bushed hinge will be used in conjunction for stability about 8 inches above the other. The swing and much of the uprights will also be 2x2x1/8. Rack bracing will be 1x2x1/8 tube with some 1x1x1/8. The top rack will be a store bought hitch rack basket with mods to lighten it. The lower rack will be fabed out of 3/4x3/4x .065 tube. A 1/2 bolt with a handle to secure the swingout.
In addition to the swing out I plan to add a rail allong the bottom of the bumper toward the rear flair, all braced to the trailer hitch mount brackets and a pinch weld between the tank and outer body. Any ideas will definitely be considered. BTW, the spare is going to be left in the stock location with the swing out surrounding it on top, sides and behind. Pictures to follow. Thanks in advance. :D

So far I've collected 2 wedco cans($100), 2 can racks($40), hinges parts($50), 4 lbs welding wire($28), steel with extra for other projects($230)

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

Last edited by candpliberty on Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:15 am, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject: Re: Rear double decker swingout gas/cargo rack build
PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 2:38 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

on the left is the swingout with the bushing/bolt/brackets on the right is the mount/bumper rail
swing out hinge assembly

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:26 pm 
LOST Addict

Can't wait!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Looks like a nice start. 8)

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:48 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did some fitment and made some struts to mount the bumper/ skid.

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 1:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Added the upright that the hinge is going to attach to.
The uprights will be buried into the plastic bumper ends.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:40 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Starting to look like a cargo rack. I've used up a 20 foot stick of 2x2 with nothing but little pieces left. Now I'll start using 1x2 and 1x1 to make bracing for the gas can holders and the racks themselves. I've been slacking because my father in law was here for a week so I spent time with him. He's 87, a veteran of WW2 with a serious purple heart.

opened
High enough to siphon direct from the can to the gas tank.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Got it tacked up to the Jeep and swing operational. Have to finish rear rock rail/ bumper skid armor part . Have to find a new home for license plate and light. Then I can start on the gas can holder and upper and lower rack. 7/16 bolt wasn't stout enough for a latch bolt. Stripped it out after 3 or 4 cycles.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:05 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Coming along nicely!!

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:22 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm at a loss for what to use for the bolt for the latch. Would a higher grade bolt or a bigger diameter or both work better?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:52 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

What holds it open when you have it swung out?
They make some nice latches that work great to keep it closed( latched)

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 10:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
What holds it open when you have it swung out?
I plan on a spring loaded pin on the bottom hinge.
I like the idea of big f'in bolt holding the swing closed.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

A grade 8 5/8" or larger would work fine, length of course depends on your setup. Tighten it down nice and tight then drill a small hole through it to drop a small pin in to keep it from backing out. That is if you don't want to use what's available on the market and want to go custom. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 12:49 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, BugginKJ. Back to Mcfadden-Dale. Only place I know that you can get 5/8 or 3/4 in any length to a foot long, in 2, 5, 8 grade, equally as excellent in metric. Too bad they're 15 miles away.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 3:32 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

3/4" x 6" grade 8 bolt and nut installed and working perfectly. We got some rain and the whole project has some surface rust. sigh. :x :furious:

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 3:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The donor hitch cargo carrier from Sportsman's Guide for about 60 bucks. took out all the bolts, struts, receiver tube and reenforcing plates. welded 2 halves together. It's way lighter and much stiffer.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:02 am 
LOST Member

Looks AWESOME! :SOMBRERO:

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2012 3:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Woodtick. I cut some off of the upright to allow the rear window to open when the upper rack is not in use. I also have a problem of the spare tire hitting the drivers side upright. It's not a deal breaker but the swing and the tailgate stand about 10 or 12 degrees apart. It beats not having access to the back with a hitch rack in place.
The home owners association sent me a letter that said my gate need attention, so I took a look and found a rusty PoS. Down to bare metal, rustoleum spray primer then color matched latex over that. came out nice. :BANANA: Take that, HOA! :furious:

Back to the rack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here's the upper rack mounted. I welded some 3/4"square tube and some scrap to make a tongue that fits inside the upright.
weld a 3/8 nut to the outside of the upright to clamp down the rack.
Bolt on top rack braces. Why bolt on? I made this so everything can be attached without reliance on the other to mount to the bumper. Everything need to store flat so no arms welded to the main frame.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 am 
LOST Member

I remember talking to you about this when it was just an idea! Way to go; it's looking good!

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter