It is currently Wed Apr 24, 2024 9:27 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rear double decker swingout gas/cargo rack build
PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 9:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks great man! I just got done building my roof rack .....and after looking at your rear cargo rack I now know what I can make to mount to existing spare tire mount bolts. Thanks

2002 KJ prelowered with 3 1/2" daystar, 3/4" clevis, ome front shocks,Rancho rear shocks, 265/75/16 with 7/15" wheel spacers,homemade roof rack,alpine in-dash DVD touch screen,alpine aftermarket door speakers all around, 2 10" kicker crv's w/Rockford 800.1 amp.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 1:45 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Glad to help! :-)r

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:45 am 
LOST Addict

I oculdn't figure out the purpose of those upright, though tthye looked out of place.....now it all comes together. Looks good. :wink:
I like welding, but I still also build with that " I may need to take it apart later" mentality

ImageImage

PostPosted: Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Tahoe, look at my 2 car garage. I gots to store things efficiently!ImageImageImage LOL find the air compressor! Those uprights are what everything is going to be mounted on.
Bottom of removable top rack brace:Image
upper rack brace, 2 bolts, 3/8 at each end.:Image
Gas cans sit on a little stub. 1 bolt through the stub, 2 through the upright and one more off of the lower rack shelf.ImageImageImage
I had to notch the top rack to clear the rear window. I figure 2 choices. 1. hang the rack way out away from the body or do this:

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 12:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

1x1 lower rack support. Image
I'm sseing a shovel mount in the triangle farthest out on the rack support
clamped but not boltedImage

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Jeepin'WNC wrote:
I remember talking to you about this when it was just an idea! Way to go; it's looking good!

I remember that conversation also! Thanks, man! :pepper:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:52 am 
LOST Addict

looks great.. good job! Nice to build something by yourself that is so functional and purpose oriented. what color is it going to be when its done??

you should add a hook to it somewhere.. so when your out wheeling you can hang a trash bag on it during lunch.. :JEEPIN:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 03, 2012 3:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

thanks, 2006KJ. The hook idea is a good one. We always that a HD bag to bring home crap other people left behind. Some pretty gross stuff sometimes. I'm working in some steps also for accessing the roof rack. I want to do the Mojave Trail either this spring or next. This thing will come in handy for hauling the Shtuff. :JEEPIN: Color? probably Gray Hammer Finish

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:34 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's looking like I imagined it.
ImageImage
License bracket. OE license light on it's new brackets. Moved to the right side because of hinges. The light and the plate will live under the gas can holder.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 3:20 am 
LOST Member

Again, Looking great! I like the "re-use" of the stock tag light!

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:35 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks, Jeepin'WNC. I'm having a hard time wiring that tag light. I decided to add a pair of red marker lights at the rear of the lower rack but having to make it removeable is making it tough. I ran some 1/2" square tube across, between the rack and the back of the Jeep to run the wire through. That's all good but the wiring that goes to the marker lights is making me scratch my head. I've redone it twice so far. :5SHOTS: :furious: :dizzy: I hate those crimp on ends so I've been soldering them on and shrink tubing them. Putting all that effort into the job then cutting it off is driving me nuts!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:20 pm 
LOST Member

candpliberty wrote:
I'm having a hard time wiring that tag light. I decided to add a pair of red marker lights at the rear of the lower rack but having to make it removeable is making it tough.

Can you use your trailer wiring? Unplug when towing?

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:27 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

woodtick wrote:
Can you use your trailer wiring? Unplug when towing?

No gots the trailer wiring. I'm using the wire for the original tag light and supplying juice to the tag light now on the other side. That supply will also light the 2 red marker lights. But thanks for the input! :D

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:50 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The devil is in the details. I found some 2 wire disconnects at Radio Flack but they wanted EIGHT BUCKS A PIECE!!!!!. Amazon had them for 2 bucks http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B006ZOHOEA/ref=oh_o02_s00_i00_details I'm putting a couple of these on the lower rack which I haven't built yet.http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0016KHD3U/ref=oh_o03_s01_i00_details
got one of these to get free shipping. :D http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000HBNZJA/ref=oh_o01_s00_i01_details
All the through holes have sleeves now, close to paint!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:13 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Seems like I keep working on this thing and not getting anywhere.
The bottom shelf.
backstop and tie detail. Next is the mount tabs for the lower shelf , cap the ends of the lower rack and finishing the armor behind the rear tire.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Cleaning up and finishing each piece as it comes off the Jeep Figured anti theft latches that are padlockable. Cap is covered
Working on armor right behind the rear wheels. Am abandoning the bolt for securing the swing out.
new latch on its way. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004K5YW0K/ref=oh_o00_s00_i02_details

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:47 pm 
LOST Addict

looking good. sure will be a cool piece when it's finished.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks again, 2006 KJ. I got sidetracked doing my taxes and it was my birthday :BANANA: I'm painting the racks, then I'll take the swing and "bumper" off. I'll finish up welding the behind the rear wheels "protection", paint that stuff and put it all back together. I hope like hell it all fits. :5SHOTS:
I put (2) 1x2 uprights with a piece of 1/8"x2" flat stock up against the pinch weld at the back. This is the drivers side:
The passenger side also has 2 uprights and a plate but doesn't attach to the trailer hitch. On a previous pickup I had I dropped off a ledge and killed all my tail lights that were under the tailgate. I wanted some protection if I did that again.
The tail pipe is protected also. I'll have to trim about 3/4" for it to be completely above the rear rock rails.
2006Kj, I got a canvas laundry bag http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001CF4V3Y/ref=oh_details_o04_s00_i00 I plan a couple of brass grommets and a couple of carabineers ought to keep it secure.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, I'm about done. I took the undercarriage down by myself using a floor Jack and a couple of jack stands. Recognize those hooks?
With the gastank skid for reference:
Under carriage and swing.
All the pieces:
All the center pieces.
Brought out the bathroom scale:
Under carriage/bumper: 117 pounds
Swing: 40 pounds
lower shelf support: 9.5 pounds x2= 19 pounds
lower shelf: 20 pounds
upper shelf strut 3 pounds x2= 6 pounds
upper shelf: 22 pounds
Gerry can and mount(no gas): 12.5 pounds x2= 25. pounds

Grand total of 249 pounds. That's like me holding (2) 12 packs of Mountain Dew.
More pictures to follow putting it all on the back of Libby.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 12:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

undercarriage and swing.
Cans cn be run by themselves. The lower shelf supports isn't necessary.
oe plate light and disco for wiring harness.
Homegrown spring pin with stops at 90 and 130 degrees.
with just the bottom rack:
with both racks:
Don't ask me how but I lost clearance on the right Gcan and the top rack. I have to redo the latch so I can get the can off the carrier. :furious:
right rear corner detail:
under carriage detail
step traction aid.