It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tow hook Mod
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Finally got my tow hook mod welded up, rather then tow hooks I used two receiver hitch tubes which give me a dual front hitch. Will post up pictures on the car once the paint cures.

Total cost = $55 thanks to Ebay got the tow hooks on the cheap!

Post subject: Re: Tow hook Mod
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:33 pm 
LOST Member

That's a great idea!! Looks like you can weld rather well...I just bought a welder, and will require a lot of practice on scrap... Seeing your tow hook mod made me think that with a third receiver you could perhaps fab a removable front hitch that could be pinned in when needed and removed when not needed. The possibilities for uses for that would be limited only to the imagination!

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 4:51 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thats very true I wish I could say I welded that But my welder Is only 120 volt so I decided to have it done professionally. Well worth the 20 bucks.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 4:20 pm 
LOST Newbie

Here they are on the car with the warn tow shackles installed

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:29 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i like that... really nice job!

08 Revenge- Rock Lizard (Skink Sliders & Gecko Roof Rails), High Clearance Trimmed Front Bumper, Mopar skids, Riddler Diff Cover, JBA (5.5 Arms, 6" rear Springs, Front Adjust-A-Struts), 32" DuraTracs, Superior 4.56's, Front & Rear ARB Lockers, Fastman Throttle Body, AEM Intake, Hypertech Tune, Custom Ram Air, RunCool Louvers

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 12:04 am 
LOST Newbie

Awesome Setup! That solves a few issues I have been thinking of... but I have a few questions.

How easy is it to get to the hitch pin?

I noticed here that the hooks semi interfere with the transmission cooler hoses, are you 2WD? or how did you get around this? or is it not a problem?

and $55 for the setup!? Maybe I missed it, but is that each? or am I looking at expensive parts?

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

How easy is it to get to the hitch pin?
The hitch pin has about 1 1/2 to 2 in of clearance so its really not difficult with a standard pin, however the locking types may be a pain, I would just put a master lock through where the cotter pin goes if you that worried about security.

I noticed here that the hooks semi interfere with the transmission cooler hoses, are you 2WD? or how did you get around this? or is it not a problem?
I think that's actually the power steering cooler however when i removed the bumper (my tow hooks were the stud plate type over the m bolts) there's a cable lock holding the two lines in place, if you remove this it give you just enough play in the lines to move them around. It's tight but I don't see it being a problem. You may be able to get the cable lock without taking the bumper off just follow the lines back toward the frame.

and $55 for the setup!? Maybe I missed it, but is that each? or am I looking at expensive parts?
I got the tow hooks on ebay for $15.50
The receiver tubes were 20 total
And 20 to the welder

one note if your going to try to do this, the tow hook brackets are not square therefore squaring the receiver tube to the bracket is very difficult here's my trick.

-The two 12mm holes on the bracket where the hook is bolted to is square with the front of the car
- using the fence on a drill press drill two 12mm holes on your receiver tube the same distance apart as the center of the holes on the bracket
- using two 12mm bolts bolt the tube to the bracket and then weld (the tighter you keep your tolerances the more square with the front of the car and each other they will be.)
- doing it this way requires no clamping and gives you as close to square as possible which is important if you plan on using both hitches.

On mine over a 36 inch extension I was off by less then an 1/8 of an inch which is nothing.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:47 pm 
LOST Newbie

I love the look of the d-rings on the front. This would solve the issue i have of keeping my tow strap on the front when I go thru deep water with possibility of getting stuck. 9 times out of 10 the tow strap falls off the factory tow hook and then I have to get wet to hook up to the to the front. I am thinking about doing this mod very soon, Plus it just looks sweet.... :P

Mopar Skids - Sky Slider Roof
OME Lift
Duratrac's 245/75 R16

John M.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 16, 2012 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I love the look I wasnt planning on putting the d ring on full time but theyre never coming off

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 11:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Can u draw up the receiver? I'd be interested in getting some made at work. Would work wonders for mounting lights etc. how long of screws or hardware u use to mount them? Thanks.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:34 am 
LOST Newbie

Scheki wrote:
Can u draw up the receiver? I'd be interested in getting some made at work. Would work wonders for mounting lights etc. how long of screws or hardware u use to mount them? Thanks.

not really sure what you need drawn I used the same mounting hardware that comes with the tow hooks other then that just weld a 6 inch square receiver to the bracket and your all set.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 4:00 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

More pictures!!!! I wanna see!!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2012 2:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks will lok and see and get one made.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 23, 2012 4:15 pm 
LOST Newbie

Did you use the M- shaped bolt to attach these to the frame like a regular Mopar towhook?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:20 am 
LOST Newbie

yep all the mounting is the original tow hook bolts mine happened tp be the stud plates but same difference

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 5:46 am 
LOST Member

Rylman how hard do you think it would be to just bolt the receivers to the frame without the tow hook mounts. assuming I used slightly longer receiver the bolts inside thethe receiver wouldnt interfere with the D-rings. Just a thought but I havent removed my bumper to see how much room there is down there. This is def a good mod and probably sturdier than the original hooks.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 27, 2012 11:54 pm 
LOST Newbie

The tow hook brackets are mounted with two bolts (m bolt) on one side and then a single bolt on the other side. If you were to try and bolt a receiver directly you'd be using the m bolt side. Your gonna run into an issue that those bolts are actually behind the bumper so you be cutting a notch in the bumper to make it fit. If your looking at that option just have someone weld the receivers directly to the frame. Personally if you have the tow hooks already it's pretty simple to do. Looks great and is pretty cheap.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 1:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Is there a way to hook the two together with a length of 2x2 square tube so you can spread the load between the two?

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 12:35 am 
LOST Newbie

candpliberty wrote:
Is there a way to hook the two together with a length of 2x2 square tube so you can spread the load between the two?

As it is (being bolted directly to the frame) the load should be spread out equally between the two, it would be fairly easy to weld a piece of 2x2 stock between the two however youd be blocking air flow to the power steering cooler.

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 3:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rlyman1 wrote:
candpliberty wrote:

As it is (being bolted directly to the frame) the load should be spread out equally between the two, it would be fairly easy to weld a piece of 2x2 stock between the two however youd be blocking air flow to the power steering cooler.

That is why I built my winch mount out of a trailer hitch cross member mounted ala Detour Backbone which tied the cross member together with the hitch cross member with the winch plate.
The winch is mounted up close and personal that I had to cut away some of the grill. I've never had a overheating issue even in our desert heat.