It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Homemade roof rack cross bars
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm getting ready to buy a new fishing kayak soon, so I decided to try and build some temporary cross bars for my KJ. I saw an idea of using wood and U-bolts that looked sturdy enough for a kayak, so I decided to go into home depot and look around. I ended up finding a 10 ft piece of superstrut framing channel that looked pretty strong, and would look a little less redneck than wood. the u bolts were 1 1/4 in.

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical/h_d1/N-25ecodZ5yc1vZarcd/R-100183826/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=Strut&storeId=10051&superSkuId=202891091

Here's a few pictures of the installation.

The actual material I was using:

I cut the channel with a hacksaw into pieces that were long enough, and placed a piece of bike tire inner tube on the part that would make contact with the rails.

Here it is on top of the jeep.

I know with it being galvanized, it will star rusting from the salt water, but for 15 dollars, it will be easy to replace. Any ideas on how to improve it?

Post subject: Re: Homemade roof rack cross bars
PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 5:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

Oh and I need to add some sort of foam pieces in the middle to protect the kayak. Maybe pool noodle or pipe insulation?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:13 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

This is mine on my KK I used noodles cheaper and more padding than pipe.
Mine are mounted the other way up too. The. Noodles are daisy shaped and fit in u channel. Zipped tied on.

Last edited by Cherrie 274 on Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:17 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks good, don't know if I could do neon pink though, lol. Maybe something more manly like neon green or blue.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

It's a pink thing and no you wouldn't understand

Pipe wrap flattened out, so I went to noodles

Last edited by Cherrie 274 on Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 8:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Did you consider putting the ties through holes in the middle of the noodles so you'd have some padding on top of the ties. Just a thought.

Post subject: Homemade roof rack cross bars
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I tried that before= failed for me. I'm thinking of a way for round bars. But can't have bolts that stick up, and damage kayaks.
I'm hoping that if my idea makes sense a friend will make it for me.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:24 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

offshore, how about you flip the channel over so it is open on top, run the ubolts through and cut the thread off below the top of the channel. Use some pvc pipe or higher density foam or styrofoam painted any color you want.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 11:54 pm 
LOST Member

candpliberty wrote:
offshore, how about you flip the channel over so it is open on top, run the ubolts through and cut the thread off below the top of the channel. Use some pvc pipe or higher density foam or styrofoam painted any color you want.

that makes sense. gonna stop in at Home D tomorrow and get some. My Rola came in a couple of days ago so I need to Git r done

Aries 1051 black grille guard

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 12:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What's the gunwales made out of? what ever it is, use a softer material that will sacrifice. I remember seeing bumpers made of painted heavy styrofoam. Go by a motorcycle shop. The bikes come knocked down with big chunks of dense styrofoam between the components.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:09 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

While I was surfing the net I found these: http://www.northeastmarineelectronics.com/malone-canoe-foam-block-4-x-4-75-x-6.aspx They have other shapes and sizes.