It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Cross bar material
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:46 pm 
LOST Member

Went to Lowes last night to get material for my cross bars I am making. I am looking at 3/4"diameter. I guess I have to buy a 10' because I need over 7' of material it looks like. My question is, there where two different types, one was galvanized steel, the other black iron. Whats the difference? They both were pretty heavy when I picked them up. Is it necessary to have that thick of walls?

Post subject: Re: Cross bar material
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 3:55 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Not much difference in the thickness of the pipe wall. They should both be Schedule 40. If you are welding you will create toxic nickle fumes. If you are going to prime and paint them, you might as well save your money and just by the black iron.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 4:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

surfRenegade wrote:
Went to Lowes last night to get material for my cross bars I am making. I am looking at 3/4"diameter. I guess I have to buy a 10' because I need over 7' of material it looks like. My question is, there where two different types, one was galvanized steel, the other black iron. Whats the difference? They both were pretty heavy when I picked them up. Is it necessary to have that thick of walls?

Black Pipe is a type of cast iron typically used for natural gas and propane lines in homes and businesses. It's very tough and takes a lot of abuse, but it's not really meant to be "strong" the way a structural member would. It's intended to maintain its integrity as a vessel for a volatile gas or other fluids (i.e. keep the gas in, the contaminants out, and stay where it is for a long time with minimal fuss). It's also really heavy and rather ugly.

Galvanised steel conduit/steel is usually a mild steel alloy with a protected zinc coating impregnated in the outside (by heat or electricity) that forms an oxygen barrier and prevents corrosion. Typical galvanised conduit you'll find at the big box store is for use with electrical runs and is meant to protect wires from damage. It's not meant to be all that strong as it's usually really thin-walled.

Either would technically work in a pinch, but neither is really ideal for what you're doing. Have you tried a local steel scrap/recycler to see if they have some scrap steel tube the length diameter you need? Unless it's bent or really badly corroded, steel tube cleans up nicely with a grinder or sanding (depending on your level of elbow grease) and a good coat of rustoleum.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 5:22 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks guys, not welding it just drilling through the stock rails and running it through. I will look for a better steel pipe, but if not sounds like galvanized would probably be the way to go.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:58 pm 
LOST Newbie

The top rail for chain link fence works real nice. That's what I, and many others, have used. I've hauled heavy aluminum canoes thousands of miles with mine, ratchet strapped down real tight, and I've had no problems at all. I think 3/4" isn't going to be strong enough if you're using EMT.

Frankenlifted (plus 1 extra rear iso. and a 3 nut clevis), Al's gen 4.5 UCA's, Full Mopar Skids, Kurt Hitch, Soft 8's, BFG AT's 245 75 16, Rock Lizard Front Bumper, fence top-rail crossbars (unbent!), some stuff inside...

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 1:23 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Electrical conduit comes in EMT(thin wall, no threaded ends, IMC, thicker, threaded and GRC, heavy, threaded. These are available at Home Depot. EMT and GRC available at Lowes. I used IMC for my cross bars.
IMHO, black pipe sparks like steel, looks like steel and welds like steel. I think it's steel.

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/plumbing-pipes-fittings-valves-black-pipe-fittings-pipe/the-hillman-group-6-in-x-15-in-red-and-white-plastic-beware-of-dog-sign-174592.html

http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=Flex_Conduit

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:07 am 
LOST Member

The one i saw at home depot was just as thick walled as the black iron. both had threaded ends and both were really heavy picking them up. So I am thinking this is what you are calling IMC. I wish i knew how to weld!

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 1:26 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

surfRenegade wrote:
I wish i knew how to weld!
I don't know how either but I manage to dribble enough molten steel together and nothing has ever failed do to my workmanship. Every time I get a little better at it, the project gets done and I forget everything but I love that I can glue steel together. A decent 110 welder, a cheap chop saw, a couple of 4 1/2 angle grinders body protection and a helmet and your good to go. Add stuff as your needs arise. 800 bucks'll get you in!!!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 6:59 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

candpliberty wrote:
surfRenegade wrote:
I wish i knew how to weld!
I don't know how either but I manage to dribble enough molten steel together and nothing has ever failed do to my workmanship. Every time I get a little better at it, the project gets done and I forget everything but I love that I can glue steel together. A decent 110 welder, a cheap chop saw, a couple of 4 1/2 angle grinders body protection and a helmet and your good to go. Add stuff as your needs arise. 800 bucks'll get you in!!!

One old timer described my welds as "Looks like the sore on a dog's booty." I wouldn't do anything structural unless I did a lot of practice. My little 110v welder can do some decent welds after a few passes, it is nice not being limited to fasteners. I always forget what a mess welding is though. So much soot.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:02 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I'm using 1 1/4 emt conduit and have hauled lots of stuff up there with zero peoblems.

ATHFAB.com