It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 8:12 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Front shelf
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 12:27 pm 
LOST Member

Hi all, lovin this part of the forum as I really like the idea of fabricating things fit for purpose that you cant always buy in shops :)

I have been thinking of a front shelf for some time now (to put my grub on at the drive through etc :mrgreen: ), similar to the one in a post below, but the KJ has so little scope for a decent platform :?

Though today, I bought a new phone mount, with a SUPER STRONG suction cup for mounting on the windscreen, and now I'm thinking of trying to source some of this type of suction cups, and then I can start fabricating the sort of shelf/tray I'm after :) .. anyone know of any ?

Post subject: Re: Front shelf
PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:33 pm 
LOST Member

I've got one like this vi-conthttp[url]://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-Mount-Rubber-Windshield-Suction-Cup-/270693955913#ent[/url] for a larger GPS works great but will adhere it's self to the glass after a while.

2005 Blue KJ Sport CRD, GDE, Magnaflow muffler, Destination AT, Amsoil filters, Fumoto, Timing belt and waterpump @ 99,600, 11 blade nylon fan, 2905 hayden fan clutch, EURO TC

Arguing about whether the glass is half full or half empty misses the point: the bartender cheated you.
Unknown

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 6:19 am 
LOST Member

Hi Woodtick, cant see the link but used the item number :wink:

If the ball is an inch in diameter, from the pic, that would make the suction cup 4 or 5 inches across wouldnt it ?? :shock:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:09 pm 
LOST Newbie

i bought those RAM brand mounts for my garmin and work absolutely great. i purchased this one http://www.gpscity.com/ram-mount-garmin ... ga41u.html and with the arm it brings the gps closer to you and can be positioned out of the way. when i look out the window, the mount only obstructs the line of sight to my engine hood so i basically did not lose any visibility. ill post a pic if you like. sturdy mounts those things, plus they have a wide selection of clamps to fit your gps, phone, whatever. im buying a separate clamp for my phone so i can just swap out the one for my gps on road travel without having to buy a second mount, unless you want 2 running at the same time.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-Mount-Rubber-Windshield-Suction-Cup-/270693955913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f069df949 Just to make it easier for other people to see.
How about something that hooks to your defogger vents with support arms extending down both sides of your radio/heater controls with a tray mounted somewhere higher. You could remove it when not in use. I don't like suction cups because they seem to let go at the most inopportune moment like with a big sugary drink sitting on it. :banghead:

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 6:42 am 
LOST Member

candpliberty wrote:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Ram-Mount-Rubber-Windshield-Suction-Cup-/270693955913?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f069df949 Just to make it easier for other people to see.
How about something that hooks to your defogger vents with support arms extending down both sides of your radio/heater controls with a tray mounted somewhere higher. You could remove it when not in use. I don't like suction cups because they seem to let go at the most inopportune moment like with a big sugary drink sitting on it. :banghead:

Yeh been thinkin about that TBH, I like the idea of being able to install/remove when needed .. watch this space :D

PostPosted: Sun Jun 17, 2012 1:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ando, can't wait to see the project! When I first started running GPS I was driving a Sebring made by Mitsubishi. She would corner! Everytime I pushed her, the GPS suction cup would let go and the thing would land on the floor. I don't use suction cups anymore! If I may, I'd use some material like plastic that would collapse under impact of an accident as to not hurt any front seat occupants.

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:20 am 
LOST Member

Good thinkin matey :wink:

At the mo, I'm busy designing my dog guard/rear shelf tho, so the front shelf idea has been put on the back burner for now cus I gotta be able to keep the dawg from jumping into the back seats while I'm driving :roll: , he's leashed to the cargo ancors when we go out for now, but thats not ideal really

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sup, Ando! How's the pup? My grandson moved back in with us and introduced us to pitbulls.
Funny, I was thinking the same thing but for a different reason. Just came back from http://www.sandiego.org/what-to-do/beaches.aspx with 4 of us in the Liberty. All the crap inside in the back piled higher than the back of the seat made me imagine full suitcases flying forward if I slammed on the brakes or even worse, a roll over. I also carry metal detectors up against the ceiling to keep them out of the way. I'm thinking 1/4 inch round steel rod grill hinged at the ceiling to allow for storage while not in use , or when hauling large cargo.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:17 pm 
LOST Member

He's a cracker ... I love pits :D

I'm currently lookin at a steel framed mesh shelf that I can fix at about the hieght of just above the rear seat backs, so the dog can go underneath it, and then a virtical steel mesh barrier just behind the rear passenger headrests to contain luggage safely above him, utalising all that space upto the roof if needed .. hard to explain, but I'll put pics up when done :wink:

I still want to be able to lie down in the truck with the front seats slid forwards, and the rear seats dropped down incase we ever need to sleep in the truck when out camping :D

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:39 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LOL, you're sounding more and more American! I'm getting what you're trying to build. How about compartments side by side so your buddy can look out the window and stand up.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:42 pm 
LOST Member

:lol: Couldnt sound American in writin if I tried :-)r

and yeah I reakon the shelf will be just at the right height for Max sit up and see through the windows (he's a Staff Bull Terrier, so a little smaller than the average pit :wink: )

PostPosted: Mon Jul 02, 2012 2:58 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Waiting for pictures! 8)