It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My mini HF trailer build - **PICTURES**
PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 11:58 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

coming along very nicely. :BANANA:

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:36 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Takes time to do things right
but you're getting everything together

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:49 am 
LOST Addict

Tires came in yesterday and man, they measure 27" but they look much larger next to the trailer. I made a good choice. It is going to be a couple of weeks before I can get them mounted, however I just bought on ebay a used stick welder so when that comes in I will need to practice with it. That should keep me busy.

looking for some shackles small enough to bolt to the back frame, if anybody knows a good source for them.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

You can mount them yourself with some spoons, either homemade or store bought. lub them with liquid dish soap diluted 4 parts water to 1 part soap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3CJndly9wUo If your tire has a little colored dot on the sidewall near the bead position it right by the valve stem to minimize weights when you get it balanced(if you ever do). http://forum.miata.net/vb/showthread.php?t=127301

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:23 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

what are you going to use the shackles for?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 1:45 pm 
LOST Addict

Haha, thanks. I will hold on to that info if I ever want to do it myself. Time is the issue, I may get a chance to run down to the shop, well see.

Shackles well, I saw them on another trailer build and they looked cool..cant think of any other reason. :-)r You just never know.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 4:02 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

so not spring shackles but something like tiedown shackles. I'd go to someplace like a farm store or a real hardware store versus a home improvement place. I put some on my utility trailer that were D rings mounted on a square steel plate so you could bolt or weld them
I keep some tire mounting spoons around just in case! If nothing else they make good pry bars!

http://www.uscargocontrol.com/Ratchet-Straps-Tie-Downs/D-Rings-D-Ring-Tie-downs

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:28 pm 
LOST Addict

Couldn't wait, pictures don't show how good it looks. Nice ground clearance.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

NICE!!!!! :-)r 8)

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 12:58 am 

Building small trailers is always fun
Going to install any shocks on it?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:52 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you do go with shocks, here's a link to Monroe shock specs,
http://www.monroe.com/assets/downloads/english/08_MountingLengthSheet.pdf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:11 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.shockwarehouse.com/site/mon_retrokit.cfm I would think these are too heavy. rear shocks for a FWD shitbox? MG midget? motorcycle shocks with no coils?
http://forum.ih8mud.com/trailer-tech/558591-shock-needed-trailer.html

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:11 am 
LOST Addict

not planning on it but you never know, have to see how it rides.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:13 am 

The 4X4 foot trailer I built had some bounce to it when loaded no matter the air pressure. I was going to install shocks on it but sold it before I got it done.
My 5X8 now will get some shocks as soon as I find the springs I want ( used YJ fronts)

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:52 am 
LOST Addict

My little welder came in the mail, the guy included welding rods as well in various thicknesses. I have a scrap piece of steel and some 1/16 to use, now I just need a mask and a few accessories before I can make my first practice welds!! :BANANA:

Also, I have no idea where to buy steel here so I am just going to pick up the flat and angled steel from lowes. I don't need a whole lot so if I am paying more so be it.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 10:58 am 

Old metal bed frames work great for light duty as well :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Political signs are mounted on 3/4 angle. :wink: A steel yard is waaaaaaay cheaper than lowes or home depot. :shock: I only bought 3 or 4 foot lengths when I needed it for little projects. I bought a stock of 1/4" round for odd projects around the house like shelf brackets and stuff. That welder will come in really handy.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:06 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have been wanting to build a trailer for a while now but funds are extremely limited at the moment. Ah man this is giving me the itch. Problem is ain't nuthin to scratch.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:16 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Sport wrote:
My little welder came in the mail, the guy included welding rods as well in various thicknesses. I have a scrap piece of steel and some 1/16 to use, now I just need a mask and a few accessories before I can make my first practice welds!! :BANANA:

Also, I have no idea where to buy steel here so I am just going to pick up the flat and angled steel from lowes. I don't need a whole lot so if I am paying more so be it.

Now you'll be hooked. The auto darkening helmet from HF is a steal at $40-$50. Their clamps are also super inexpensive and actually decent quality. Like tommudd said bed frames are great for light stuff and if you keep your eyes peeled people are always throwing them away. Just cut em up when you find them and you'll have a nice little cache. Other scrap pipe and such is easy to find to. The last place i get steel from is HD or Lowes unless i'm in a pinch, steel yards are your friend even if you have to buy a whole 20' stick. Get yourself a good set of welding gloves and an angle grinder.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2012 7:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I went through a couple of HF helmets. Not that they are bad but the battery is not replaceable. The last one was a Hobart with replaceable AAA batteries plus a solar panel. It works so much better.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000M64RME/ref=wms_ohs_product