It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:54 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: My mini HF trailer build - **PICTURES**
PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:51 am 
LOST Addict

bed frames are an awesome idea, I will search some yard sales. Also trying to track down a steel yard but, seems like a lot of leg work :juggle: Lowes just may make a few more bucks off of me. then again if welding becomes a new hobby for me then I may need a source for future projects.

no helmet yet but I did pick up a 4 1/2" angle grinder from..you guessed it HF for 10 bucks. Should have bought 3 for that price! I am going to pick up a chop saw from them as well seen a small one for cheap there that should work on 1/8" steel.

like I said, slow going will not be able to test any welds until I get that helmet, so that is next on the list.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2012 1:06 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Sport, Home Depot is like 5 times as much. 20' isn't that much. You'll use it up, I guarantee it! I have them cut it into 80" lengths and put them on a old bed spread inside the jeep at a diagonal. They are coated with some kind of rust preventative(that has to be ground/sanded/wire brushed off before welding) . I was thinking about making a support that plugs into the front receiver that would support a longer length of steel. Unless you have a full length roof rack, don't put it on your roof. It whips and is hard to tie down to survive hard braking.
I started with one grinder but added 2 more over the years. One has a flap sander(use it a lot), another has a cutoff wheel. Both of those are DeWalts. The 3rd is a HF with a wire wheel on it. I leave all of the plugged in at the welding table.
I bought my chop saw at HF but have seen used ones at tool repair shops that people brought in for repair but never picked up.
You can buy a old school helmet for cheap but auto darkening makes welding so much easier. Wait for the 20% off HF coupon and catch them on sale.
The magnetic "clamps" are super handy also. Definitely catch these on sale also. I think they have 2 sizes. http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-accessories/6-1-4-quarter-inch-multipurpose-magnet-holder-1939.html

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:25 am 
LOST Addict

Haven't had much time but I stopped into a Military surplus store and picked up a nice ammo can that I think will fit well on the front tongue. eyeball dimensions are 24"x10"x18", I will get a picture up soon. Not sure what I will put in it yet.

PostPosted: Thu May 09, 2013 1:24 pm 
LOST Junkie

Hey sport anymore progress?

03 Sport - SEMI DIGGERIZED, Surco Rack with Daylighters, OME Lift, Runcool Hood Louvers, RL Front Bumper and Super Skink Sliders, 31" BFG AT/KO on Soft 8s, Skid Row/Mopar Skids, 8k Smittybilt Winch with Synthetic Line.
MY BUILD: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59628