It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Welding for dummies
PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:48 pm 
LOST Junkie

tommudd wrote:
Have one of the cheaper Mig ( 650-700 range Eastwoods) with gas out in the garage
You can weld 1/4 if it doesn't have to hold much, but if thats what you're going after you need a larger welder

That's what we have, also with gas. It's paid for itself several times over already, fixing exhausts (poor welding on the hanger that caused one huge leak), a mower deck attachment point, several outboard parts, etc.

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2014 9:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I started with a little Lincoln 120 mig, not big enough, next a 140 mig, still not big enough, then a 220 volt 180 mig, better but low duty cycle, now have a light industrial Miller 210, perfect it will weld small better than a small welder and weld 3/8 one pass, duty cycle is great $1500 including aluminum spool gun, go big first save money and time

PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:16 pm 

coin wrote:
I'm in the first year of a 2 year program for welding, and i recommend on getting a stick welding machine first because once you get stick welding down the other ones are alot easier to approach, also if you go a non SMAW (stick) approach i think that even though it may be harder and i dont no if it costs more but i assume so i would go with tig (GTAW) instead of mig (GMAW) and yes im using the proper names for the welding processes to make myself look smarter.

I agree, get yourself a used Lincoln or Sears stick welder and learn how to make quality welds with it. They are a lot cheaper than the higher end Lincoln, Miller, or Hobart wire welders.
Once you get a stick welder mastered, you can weld with most anything, then graduate to a MIG or TIG. I been welding for over 50 years with stick welders and oxygen/acetylene outfits long before we had even heard of a wire fed welder... :lol:
Its like anything else, practice, practice, practice, and you will learn to make perfect welds... :wink:
I got a Sears stick welder, a Miller 220 wire welder (MIG), and a oxygen/acetylene outfit and yes, I use all three of them depending on the need...

Yeti StgIV Hot Tune
Week's BatteryTray
No FCV/EGR
Samcos/ProVent
SunCoast/Transgo
Carter Intank-pmp
2mic.Sec.Fuel Filter
Flowmaster/NO CAT
V6Airbox/noVH
GM11 Bld.fan/HDClutch
IronrockArms/wwdieselMount

98 Dodge Cummins 24 Valve

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:10 pm 
LOST Newbie

Don't forget guys you can weld almost anything with a cheapo 100 amp welder if you preheat. Get a MAPP torch and get the joint heated up to 300 deg F or so and it will make a world of difference. Always grind clean and prepare the mating surfaces as well, doest hurt to hit it with brake cleaner first either.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

Moparded1 wrote:
Don't forget guys you can weld almost anything with a cheapo 100 amp welder if you preheat. Get a MAPP torch and get the joint heated up to 300 deg F or so and it will make a world of difference. Always grind clean and prepare the mating surfaces as well, doest hurt to hit it with brake cleaner first either.

No, no, and again, no. You might be putting weld down but structural work will fail when completed in this fashion. You also advocate using brake cleaner... at best using NON-chlorinated might work but at worst, chlorinated produces gasses that can and WILL kill you. Use the proper tools for the job. No further comment from me but I was not going to pass this by without a response.