It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Custom skids?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:53 am 
LOST Member

I know people have got them done but I haven't seen any pics or write ups on how to do it. I'm looking for pics and specs on custom under belly skids for a kj. Show me what you got.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s

Post subject: Re: Custom skids?
PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 9:37 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rocklizard was planning on releasing the belly skies that comes with their SFA kit. What's wrong with skid row or asfir by the way?

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:51 pm 
LOST Addict

arengant wrote:
Rocklizard was planning on releasing the belly skies that comes with their SFA kit. What's wrong with skid row or asfir by the way?

I think for some...like me...its about cost. I have all the tools to do it.

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 2:58 am 
LOST Member

Arengant put a rro super skid in your check in bags on your way back :mrgreen:
Getting a skid shipped to hawaii is ridiculousness. Skid row under belly is $319 shipping is close to $200. Tack on a t case skid its another $100 for just shipping.

I have a welder, I just need dimensions for a home made under belly skid.
I got quotes for a rocklizard bumper and roof rails shipped but no word back on their skids.

I will definitely remember for next time to do all the heavy stuff before I leave the main land.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 7:58 am 
LOST Addict

You are kinda SOL if i was you i would look at all the skids avalible and make a set that is the best of all worlds. Then get out my tape and start measuring you can even mock up a set with a few pieces of card board glued together or there is some thick foam poster board people use to help build bumpers. Also think about flush mounting as much as possible and button head bolts everywhere less to catch on and you will always be able to get them back on.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 11:25 am 
LOST Member

As you tell I'm not that fabrication kinda guy but you gotta start somewhere. Ill come up with some mock ups. Thanks for the advise audiboy. But there isnt anyone with pics of their homemade skid?

Post subject: Custom skids?
PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2013 1:30 pm 
LOST Addict

Check pirate 4x4 several fabricators there. I never made a skid jump bumpers and odds and ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

35" tires (thus far)
plus a ton of other things. J.E.E.P.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 8:30 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

With the cost of steel and labor on the island I figured the asfir would be worth it. Maybe we can combine shipping or such? Are oem skids good for you?

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:06 am 
LOST Addict

How thick are the oem skids?

Sent from my Home Phone using Tapatalk

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 11:53 am 
LOST Addict

The stock skids are 1/8 or 3/16 I think.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

If you're going to fab your own, a good tape measure, cardboard, ans sharpies will be your bestest friends. 8)

Bass Player Extraordinaire, Keeper of the Eternal Flame
of the Immortals, Master Swordsman, The "5th" Beatle,
Expert Marksman, Stand-up Comedian, Martial Artist,
Jeep owner, and all around swell guy.

PostPosted: Tue Jun 18, 2013 7:00 pm 
LOST Member

The only OEM skid I don't like is the tranny one. I don't think it covers enough. There are gaps on each of the sides and just doesn't look like its cut out to do it's job. I plan on getting the OEM t case and fuel tank skid. I have the stock front skid and it's been goo to me. I wouldn't mind getting the Asfir skids the price is right but the shipping would kill it. Let me know if they can give you a good quote Arengant.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:07 am 
LOST Newbie

http://asfir4x4.com distributed from scottsdale AZ. Owner is a really nice guy maybe he'll cut you guys a nice shipping deal. :D

OME 927 NS131's
JBA top plates
JBA A-Arms
3 ring clevis
Terraflex bump stops
OME 948 extra iso N132L's
Hockey pucks
Optima Red Top
Cobra 19 4' Firefly on Tram Triple Mag Mount
MOABS W/ 245/75/16 E Duratracs
ASFIR ARMOR
Rock Lizard Super Skink's
Other Stuff................

Size 13 Carbon Foot Print

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:03 am 
LOST Addict

Asfir maybe able to drop ship them to you from Israel on there way across the ocean to save you some cash. Since i know thier first run of skids came in a shipping container. Also they are always looking for ways to expand thier distributors so you maybe able to either become a distributor out that way or introduce them to and off road shop on the island which may like to take them on. I know that is what i am going to try and do here on the East coast since I waited 3 months to get my first set which was worth the wait for sure.

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 4:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Asfir4x4 quoted me over $150 for just the transmission skid for shipping. Maybe if I call I can get a better deal? Or are you suggesting I got straight to ASfir?

I am currently in Phily and I could smuggle some 4x4guard skids from JBA in my checked baggaged. Does anyone have an opinion on 4x4guard transmission skids? Do they also cover the transfer case?

Sorry for the hijack.

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 1:53 am 
LOST Member

arengant wrote:
Asfir4x4 quoted me over $150 for just the transmission skid for shipping. Maybe if I call I can get a better deal? Or are you suggesting I got straight to ASfir?

I am currently in Phily and I could smuggle some 4x4guard skids from JBA in my checked baggaged. Does anyone have an opinion on 4x4guard transmission skids? Do they also cover the transfer case?

Sorry for the hijack.

No prob. You gonna be able to get the jba skid? If anything isn't it just one hole to modify to fit a crd?