It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Home Made Jeep Liberty Bumper Help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Ever since I got my Liberty I was planning on getting the ARB Bumper for it. I don't feel like spending the $1,000-1,500 on the bumper because I would have more in the bumper than I would the Liberty (I only paid $500 for it). So I want to know if anyone has built a home made bumper for the Liberty or any Jeep. I want to find out how hard it is to build or fabricate and how much I'm going to have to spend on materials.

Thanks Randy.

Post subject: Re: Home Made Jeep Liberty Bumper Help
PostPosted: Thu Oct 16, 2014 3:20 pm 
LOST Addict

I have built several KJ bumpers. Not that hard if you can fabricate and weld. See my post history. I built mine for $150 and built Bob's for $200.

Can u weld....like actually weld?

Sent with the power of children's screams!!!

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I can't weld or fabricate sadly because were I live there is no fabrication shops or anything like that and I don't have the tools. But some of my friends are Union Welders and can weld like CRAZY!! And they said they would help me build it if I get the materials and such. But I just wasn't sure on how hard it would be on the fabritaction end of the process.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2014 10:44 pm 
LOST Addict

If you can fabricate it's pretty easy straightforward. But if you can't then it's hard long drawn out process, that's why they're $800+

2002 KJ Limited 3.7, 5.25" lift via coilovers, custom HD rear springs, 32.2" tires on moabs (soon 33s) 4.56/JBA diff, OX lockers front/rear, NP241OR, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers, rock rails and roof rack, Viair OBA.

2006 KJ sport 3.7, 4" Ironman lift, 32" tires, Parker Fab front/rear bumpers and rock rails.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:22 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Start by figuring out the mounts and making a foam board mock up, taping it together as you go. Be very precise with the pieces mocked up and make sure it's symmetrical. Do you have an angle grinder and drill? You can cut out all the parts you mocked up with an angle grinder and have your buddies weld it together on your KJ then you grind all the seams down smooth.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 10:33 am 
LOST Newbie

I have them tools, But I also had an idea for a pipe bumper to, like a real thought out one instead of just a single pipe. I have 2-3 ideas but the pipe I might lean towards not because its easier but I think I would look unique.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 20, 2014 1:38 pm 
LOST Addict

First plan is "try" and draw it out. I cant draw and my ideas in my head arnt easy to lay out on paper

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:00 pm 
LOST Member

You could get some graph paper and make a 2D, 3D model. There are bolt on stinger and winch plate kits you can buy for cheap.

31X10.5 Duratracs
Yukon / Motive Gear 4.10's

Aussie Locker. Safari Snorkel.
ARB Diff Guard
Soft 8 - X7 - 4" BS

PostPosted: Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:27 pm 

I built this for my KK, copy away if you want. There are 7 pcs to it plus the mounts. The KJ's unibody is the same as a KK.
You'll need a way to bend your pipe, and this actually is pipe size tubing bent with a cheap HF bender. It was a pita though, which is why I now have a real tube bender.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 3:02 pm 
LOST Newbie

I had a similar idea for that type of pipe bumper, and from were I live in WV I can get a hold of oil drilling pipes pretty easy. Since you know its a heavier pipe. And I have a place were I can bend pipe or tubing anytime I want which is awesome!!! And the idea I have I'll draw up and post some pics here in the next couple of days to show you guys the idea I have. It seems pretty original but with me I probably seen a similar set up some where or another.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:10 pm 
LOST Addict

Drill pipe is stupid heavy....

PostPosted: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:34 pm 
LOST Newbie

I know its stupid heavy but me personally I'd rather be safe then sorry, because I plan on keeping my KJ for a long time to come. It already. has over $1000 in a front end rebuild, I know this because I had to help a little in the rebuild, so the Jeep is practically new other than a few rust spots. But I love the looks of big bumpers I'm not sure why but I do.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 12:24 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Problem with drill pipe is that it not only heavy but very hard to bend. You can build a lighter weight bumper and still have the strength . ( if properly built)
I've seen enough old Oil Field Trash trucks with huge bumpers that look like crap

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 9:21 pm 
LOST Newbie

What type of pipe would you suggest since I've never built a bumper before.?

PostPosted: Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:05 pm 
LOST Addict

1.75" .120 wall DOM tubing looks real good for tube bumper.

Pipe isnt good for bumpers measured inside diameter. I have seen a "pipe cage" kill someone becuase the pipe actually shattered

Tubing is what you want, its measured outside diameter. Its designed to have outside forces, where pipe is made for inside pressure pushing outward.

PostPosted: Thu May 28, 2015 10:22 pm 
LOST Member

Unless you are dead-set on a TUBE bumper...A plate bumper isn't really all that hard....I built my rear bumper for around $250. I know...pics or it never happened.....I know the mounting would be a bit different for a front bumper...I have an ARB on the front, and I mounted it myself....Wasn't about to pay someone to do that.....A homemade front bumper isn't gonna have have the R&D behind that an ARB has....but it's definitely do-able. The nice thing about a plate bumper, from a home fabrication standpoint, is that foam board comes in 3/16" thickness....Around $3 for a 2'x3' (?) sheet....I built my rear bumper by making a mock up using several sheets of foam board, some masking tape, a straight edge, a razor knife and tin snips (for cutting foam board...tin snips cut foam board cleaner than scissors...) I transferred my final designs to 3/16" A36 steel plate, for all of the outer shell, and inner gussets. The bumper is mounted using 1/4" by 1 1/2" (?) angle steel....the angle steel is welded into two receiver hitch inserts that I cut two sides off of the receiver section, to weld the angle onto...the ball mount part of the receiver hitch inserts come through the shell of the bumper, and are welded to the shell front and rear, and extra gussets are welded to them on the inside...The angle steel mounts to the stock frame hitch, and gas tank skid bolt holes....I got the idea for using the hitch inserts from people here on LOST who were using them to make front recovery points...so the idea is totally do-able...Oh yeah...I cut all the steel with nothing more than a 4 1/2" angle grinder, and all of the welding was done with a Hobart Mig...Yes, it's a 110 volt...do I trust that for a serious pull on my recovery points....not fully...Gonna re-do those now that I have a 220 volt....do I trust those welds on the shell of the bumper...oh yeah.... My total cash outlay, including the price of welder was probably around $900....can I count the welder as cost for the bumper...nah...but making your own stuff is priceless....There's no feeling like saying "I made it myself" when someone asks "Where'd you buy that bumper?" I also bought about twice the amount of steel I needed...It was cheaper to buy a full 4'x8' piece...I had other projects in mind also....

ARB bumper, Mopar skids, JCR stage III's, Reese hitch with tractor lights, Champion shackle insert, "homebrew" on board air, 1000 watt inverter