It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: New CB Mount!!
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:11 pm 
LOST Member

Well, I started off with a Wilson CB antenna mounted where the factory radio antenna was at. Search around for the install write up from TokyoJoe or AdamisAdam.

Anyway, I decided I wanted something different, so I began thinking last night when I was at RockLizard's and USAFCOP was there too. Between the three of us, we did some brainstorming, and tonight, I started making things.

I took a piece of angle iron (same stuff you would use to hang a garage door opener) and cut it down to 11 1/4". After that, I prettied up the ends of it with the dremel, and set to mounting it.

I decided to mount it to the Renegade light housing, 1 1/4" from the very bottom of the housing. It is centered between the two center lights.

As for right now, its just the bracket. I have decided on a new antenna, just haven't ordered it yet.

And now, the pics you have been waiting for....

Thanks for looking.

2005 Liberty Renegade Patriot Blue Pearl - 3.7L 4x4 - Offroad Package - Full Skids - Rock Lizard Skink Sliders - Frankenlifted - Spidertrax Wheel Spacers - Firestone Destination A/T's 265/75/16 - Sony Xplod w/ iPod setup - Trac Loc (coming soon)!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 9:14 pm 
LOST Junkie

Can I add my 2 cents. Make sure you braced the plastic light housing w/ some flat stock. The first time that antenna gets caught on tree limb and flexes beyond it's flex limit it's going to take the weekest part of the assembly out, I.E. the plastic. With that being said though looks good.

Parakeet

89 XJ that thinks tax time is Christmas

I will have another KJ I promise.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2006 11:17 pm 
LOST Member

Yup, i thought about that too.

I am planning on a 14" antenna. Its also foldable, so when I am not on the trail, I can lay it down and still fit in my garage. The antenna itself looks to be pretty flexible. I'll know for sure when it gets here....

2005 Liberty Renegade Patriot Blue Pearl - 3.7L 4x4 - Offroad Package - Full Skids - Rock Lizard Skink Sliders - Frankenlifted - Spidertrax Wheel Spacers - Firestone Destination A/T's 265/75/16 - Sony Xplod w/ iPod setup - Trac Loc (coming soon)!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 10:54 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

If you are attaching the antenna directly to the bracket, make sure to properly ground the bracket to the frame at some point or your signal transmission/recption will suck.

John
];')

My Wheeling Videos :JEEPIN:
My Mods, Upgrades and Custom Fabrications

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 4:19 pm 
LOST Member

Kugellager wrote:
If you are attaching the antenna directly to the bracket, make sure to properly ground the bracket to the frame at some point or your signal transmission/recption will suck.

John
];')

I am going to be grounding that to one of the bolts that hold the light assembly to the roof. I think it should work, but if not, I will be running the wire down with the coax to a ground point inside the car...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 4:01 pm 
LOST Addict

hwo are you going to get the cable from the antenna to your cb, inside? i have a magnetic one i place on the top of my kj, but i have not figured out a way to get the wire to actual cb. my brother and i are going to probably mount a cb antenna on the spare tire.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:27 am 
LOST Member

riptricket wrote:
hwo are you going to get the cable from the antenna to your cb, inside? i have a magnetic one i place on the top of my kj, but i have not figured out a way to get the wire to actual cb. my brother and i are going to probably mount a cb antenna on the spare tire.

I am a neat freak when it comes to wires. I will be running the coax up the A-pillar under all the weather stripping. And, since at this point, I have 18' of coax without the PL259 connector on it, I can snake it through smaller holes. And, the coax I bought has a tight little grommet so I can even drill a hole somewhere and route it that way if I need to. I think though, that I may end up going through the firewall, and then to the A-pillar.

I plan on doing this Friday. I am actually out of town until then, but when I get to working on it, I'll take some pics.