It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: How to: Add a PCV port to air box or CAI...The proper way.
PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:39 pm 
LOST Newbie

Alright hello again guys. So after inspecting the new kj I picked up, I found that my air box had a hole in it. I assume the previous owner used a tool to pop it off or something. So after reading around about CAI and options I Choose to stay with the factor air box. So I went to the junk yard and found only one bottom half but it was from a 02 without the port for the PCV. I have a 05 so I need the port. So I will show you how I added the port, this could be easily done on a CAI that does not have the port. You want the proper vac for the crankcase.

02 without port

05 with port

PARTS: under 15$ at Lowes

1- 5/8 hose barb X 1/2 MIP
1- 1/2 hose barb x 1/2 FIP
1- 1/2 Conduit Nut
1- Small hose clamp
1- 1/2 spade drill bit or your choice just make a 1/2" hole
1- Sponge or Sponge type Air filter (I just used a sponge I had laying around)

Okay start off by drilling a 1/2" hole in the box where the other port would be. Then break off the fins around the hole in the inside and outside.

Now if your doing this on a Metal Cold Air Intake,(CAI ) your probably gonna want to use a 1/2" tap to thread the hole so it will screw in correctly. In plastic if you start it straight and go slow it will create its own threads. And tighten down the 1/2 MIP port.

And then you want to secure it with the Conduit nut on the reverse side.

After that's all tightened down and snug, time to make a filter so oil particals don't get blown into your air filter. Take your sponge or air filter and cut a chunk out.

Cut a few so you have extra filters to change them out every time you change your air filter. Shove a piece into the back of your port, then tighten the 1/2" FIP cap over the filter.

By putting this "cap" on it will help from solid debris from clogging the filter and help hold it in place as well as trap excess oil that passes thru. Make sure to try and blow thru the port with your mouth to make sure it still has flow and can breath. And your ready to install.

You can see the hole I had in my Original air box. And if you wonder why I didn't just get a 05 air box is because that's all they had and I purchased the bottom half of a 02 for 11$ compared to the 65$ on eBay. Now add the hose and hose clamp to secure. Hose clamp is optional it's not necessarily needed.

Finished product

And original comparison.

Thanks for reading and I hope it helps somebody. It could easily be done on a CAI as well, instead of other options like little filter on PCV or just hanging the hose, or plugging. In my opinion the crack case needs the vacuum the air box creates.

Post subject: Re: How to: Add a PCV port to air box or CAI...The proper wa
PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 10:24 pm 
LOST Member

GREAT STUFF!

if i may, i HIGHLY recomend you use red loctite on that nut....it can come off with engine vibrations, quite quickly.

https://s15.postimg.org/iabfhkn6v/image.jpg

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead