It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:41 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: KJ rear cargo area storage/organizer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:31 pm 
LOST Addict

I'm sick of having a tool box, plastic box, and winch bag flopping around in the back of my jeep. I did a lot of thinking and finally came up with this system. when it's finished i'm going to cover it in carpet to match the interior of my jeep.. and something that will be anti-skid on the inside.

here are my questions.
1. what do i use to make it... i was thinking 1/2in cabnit plywood... or 1/4in plywood?
-about the heaviest thing i'd put on top of them our be my spare tire/wheel.. or 4 cases of bottled water
2. what do i use for the anti-skid on the inside?

here is my full size model.

Post subject: Re: KJ rear cargo area storage/organizer
PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:53 pm 
LOST Member

I like the idea! I'm thinking of something similar, but i want to mount it to the top of the rear cargo shelf. Leaving the bottom free for an air tank or sub.
As far as non skid I would use press blankets. They are made of rubber and work well in lining my tool box.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Great minds must think alike. I'm trying to work out how to compartmentalize my storage units for the cargo area so they can be rearranged for various situations. I was thinking of a 50/50 split rather than the 60/40 you have that follows the seats. I'm thinking of boxes with drawers on full extension slides that can be stacked with a separate "lid" that locks onto the tops. That way, I could have them side-by-side with the "lid" all the way across and plenty of room for bags and bags of groceries...or...I could stack them on one half of the cargo area and have taller cargo space on one side (this might require a folding lid which wouldn't be too hard to do with a piano hinge.

So many ideas, so little time, space and money!

Don't forget to plan on making a set for when the seats are folded down too. I've seen some that slide out to the sides through the back doors.

Here's a link to some builds on the FJ Cruiser forum: http://www.fjcruiserforums.com/forums/how-technical-articles/41318-rear-storage-solutions-12-articles.html

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:23 pm 
LOST Addict

man those FJ's are cool.. i've always liked those.. (even though they are a toyota) I thought about the drawers but they would be a pain to build... I'll probably end up building some different set up after i use these for a while and see how they can be improved.

the 50/50 stackable split is an interesting idea. but then you cant have the full area with the 60 percent laid down.

also i think im just going to use some 1/2in plywood to build mine.

PostPosted: Thu Jan 26, 2012 11:24 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

The shape you have is almost the same as the setup I had a couple years back, but it was all one piece . I think the two piece would be better in the 60-40 split

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:47 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
The shape you have is almost the same as the setup I had a couple years back, but it was all one piece . I think the two piece would be better in the 60-40 split

hey tom i still have that box

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 6:35 pm 
LOST Addict

well got a good start on it today. I got the small box done (all but the lid).. and the bottom of the big box done.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:30 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nice woodworking. Did you end up using half inch?

I was going to use carpet no slip pads for my drawers or even some foam boards with cut out for specific items. You can also use a couple of strips of weather stripping around the inside peimeter to sandwich hard board dividers in the boxes.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:39 pm 
LOST Addict

Megalos wrote:
Nice woodworking. Did you end up using half inch?

I was going to use carpet no slip pads for my drawers or even some foam boards with cut out for specific items. You can also use a couple of strips of weather stripping around the inside peimeter to sandwich hard board dividers in the boxes.

i think the plywood i got was technically 5/8 but it measures almost exactly half inch. it's 4 ply.

i'm going to cover the outside of the boxes with the same carpet has my jeep has in the cargo area.. and the inside i thought about spraying with something like this..

http://www.homedepot.com/buy/paint/spra ... 98266.html

a rubber spray can coating. I figure it will stop stuff from sliding around and keep it quiet if it does.

--i bought a order of these (6) battery powered, screw mounted, LED's

http://www.lampsplus.com/products/set-o ... t4115.html

--I bought 2 sets of these hinges. They are spring loaded to keep the lids up at a 75 degree angle and wont slam when putting them down.

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SP ... /Box+Hinge

--The last thing i'll do is probably get some flat fabric handles to make it easier to remove the boxes from the jeep.. and will say flat against the boxes so the handles dont take up any room or make any noise.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:20 am 
LOST Addict

looks awesome, like the 60/40 split idea and the fact that it is lid storage as opposed to a draw system. Draws seem to use more space then necessary, IMO.

I would so do this but my dog is 90pds and needs all the room he can get.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:35 pm 
LOST Addict

Sport wrote:
looks awesome, like the 60/40 split idea and the fact that it is lid storage as opposed to a draw system. Draws seem to use more space then necessary, IMO.

I would so do this but my dog is 90pds and needs all the room he can get.

i know what you mean! we have an 80lb doberman.. but the back seat is where she calls home haha.

i got them built... next is to carpet them in the same carpet my jeep has. Then add some handles to the outside (front, and both sides).

So far i have...

Small Box:

my warn winch bag (snatch block, tree saver, winch control, 3 D rings, pair of gloves, 20 foot chain)
Good tow strap
Cheap tow strap (with metal hooks)
Pair of work gloves
Micro Fibers
LED tap lights
4 Bungie cords

Big Box:

Very large box of tools with everything i need in it
Small tool box with random tools not in the other box (hammer, vise grips, ect)
2 Ratchet straps
Box of garbage bags
Sheet plastic
Sidewalk chalk
LED tap lights
CD's
2 rolls of duck tape
1 roll of masking tape
Large tire slime bottle
Large fix-a-flat
Tires repair kit
100 feet of paracord (olive drab of course)

under my back seat i have.. an umbrella, 100 pack of moist antibacterial wipes, carhart overalls

i think i have my bases pretty well covered. Only thing i need to add is a First Aid kit. Does anyone have any other suggestions that i should carry?

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 1:15 pm 
LOST Addict

Clean job, how are those hinges working out? They look solid.

Are you going to be carrying all that with you at all times? what about spare parts? Sounds like you are pretty covered.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:35 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Nicely done. Cool hinges. Where did you get them?

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:40 am 
LOST Addict

candpliberty wrote:
Nicely done. Cool hinges. Where did you get them?

http://www.hardwaresource.com/hinges/SP ... /Box+Hinge

they work great. and i bolted them through the plywood with 1/4in carriage bolts. The spring keeps the lid open.. but also keeps them shut tight when they are closed.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:19 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I've never seen hinges like this before. They're like little old school car hood hinges. No hinge barrel poking out side, holds up the lid without any other hardware. Nice choice!

OME, Rancho, RRO A arms, RRO roof rails w/ diy cross bars, Dual XHD7714 with Pyle speakers, drop in K&N air filter with home made CAI, 8k smittybilt winch , Sears Platinum P1, in cab winch control, 100w Optilux lights, 7" e-code Hella headlights,245/75-16C Duratracs. DIY rockrails, DIY rear double deck cargo rack.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:51 pm 
LOST Addict

ok so they are almost done. the only other thing i would like to do is put a few handles on them to make installing/removing them easier. Also the one spring hinge was not enough to hold up the big lid with carpet on it.. so i ordered another set of hinges.. chicken boned the spring off the new set.. and put it on the right side hinge (only comes on left hinge from the company). i just used an allen bolt with 2 nyloc nuts to hold the spring.. it works very well (they had a funny rivit with a shoulder on it with a plastic bushing).

i like that if someone looks in they wont see anything in there to smash and grab. all those tools and winch supplies really add up.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

I like it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:31 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

2006 KJ, Very nice factory job! My 4 Rubbermaid Roughneck containers aren't looking as nice anymore!!! :( How did you mount the fire extinguisher?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 17, 2015 12:14 am 
LOST Member

old thread i know, but thatsa a sweet cargo system.

to prevent slipping use industrial velcro strips (4" wide X whatever length you need) on the bottom, use the "hook side" of the velcro (not the fuzzy side). This will adhere VERY WELL to the carpet on the jeep.

2005 Jeep Liberty CRD 271'000+ KM's, ORM, Muffler Delete, MOROSO oil/air separator unit, 1000 CA battery, ARB Bull bumper, OME coils/shocks 2" lift. Custom BushRoo roof rack & Bush Joey hitch rack. Mobil1-301 oil filter & Mobil 1 DELVAC ESP 0W40 Full Synthetic oil, custom rear hatch cargo rack. RACOR 245 filterhead

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:39 am 
LOST Newbie

I know it's been a while and I am hoping that you are still around the forums. I briefly saw your photos before the photbucket extortion trolls took over and I have to say that was an awesome build. Love it! Is there any chance you still have those pics and could repost?

Thanks!