It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Modification of Preexisting Product: PowerTank Drop Bracket
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 6:32 am 
LOST Newbie

Since locating the Powertank drop brackets, I've always wanted a set for any wrangler we've ever own. The only trouble was, I just didn't have the time or the funds to purchase two of these molle panels.

These drop brackets were designed to allow the Powertank canister to be mounted onto the sports bar, but retained or held on the cargo bay of the wrangler.

Our idea was to modify these molle panels suited for our purposes. Not using a Powertank air canister, we'll be flipping these panels up and facing forward or that was what we had plan.

2.5 inch Tough Dog 4x4 Coil Springs
TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter
McGard Wheel Locks / Door Hinge Pin Locks
Synergy Brake Line Relocation Brackets
Reproduction 17x8.5 HardRock Wheels
Nitto Ridge Grappler 285/75/17 E

Post subject: Re: Modification of Preexisting Product: PowerTank Drop Brac
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:05 am 
LOST Newbie

Years passed and I was ready to finally order a set of these panels. But then I learn that powertank discontinued these molle panels and I thought I had missed my chance. I later contacted Molle Platform Solutions out of North Carolina and asked the shop foremen if he could make these molle panels for us. One year later the shop foreman created his own design but was too large and crowded the rear sports bar area.

Thats just too much panel and I didn't like how it mounted on the sports bars as well as the cargo frame rail. We had to find these Powertank drop brackets somewhere and soon.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:08 am 
LOST Newbie

My list of options was growing short, as a last resort, I contacted powertank themselves in an effort to see if they had any of these panels left. The spokesperson at powdertank informed me that they had a couple of demo or prototypes left in stock. I told them send those 2 panels no matter what their condition. I wanted them.

When the panels arrived, the first thing we did was to check the fit, but because these panels were designed to attach to the sports bars and drop down into the cargo bed, these wouldn't work for our application. we had to redesign these panels and flip them upright facing towards the front of the jeep's new trailview rear window.

After test fitting these panels on the sports bar, we've concluded that the panels stick out too far and could cut into the new rear window. So we'll have to have the length shortened. Also because we've flipped the panels into a different origination, the molle slats are running vertically instead of horizontally. So we'll have to have these cut also.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:09 am 
LOST Newbie

We located a ratrod shop next to our powder coaters that was willing to cut or remove parts of the panels as to allow the powertank panels to used in a different origination. The ratrod shop owner cut a couple of the slats in order to make these holes a bit wider for our molle pouches. Once they we're done, we handed these panels over to our powder coaters for the finishing touches. Here's what the modified panel should look like after cutting and shaping.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:12 am 
LOST Newbie

Afterward the panels we're sent to our powder coaters, but somewhere between here and there the powder coater didn't shoot these panels the correct color, These were suppose to have been silver vein, But what we ended up with was black & white vein. Not the desired color.

According to my search of powder coating sites and forums, Silver Vein was to look like this:

Note the darkened panel with light silver highlights.. as you can see our panels didn't look anything like the image above.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:16 am 
LOST Newbie

Our powder coaters argued with us for some time until, they agreed to re-shoot these panels. We've repackaged these panels and will send them back to the powderer coater. I was very reluctant to do this, but after searching other powder coaters in our area, we just couldn't find a better deal. One thing that could help, is that I was informed by another powered coater that we should buy the color we wanted on these panels from a powder coating supply retailer. This way we can make sure we get the desired color.

This was a close match, but we all know how some cameras colors just don't reveal their true or actuate coloring.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:20 am 
LOST Newbie

Before we send the panels back to the powder coaters, I've been searching the net for possible granite color matches. We've found colors like Sterling Charcoal Gunmetal & the Dark gunmetal gray colors as offered by our powder coaters. But just moments ago, I located this color: "Jeep Granite Crystal" as offered by a powder coating retailer. In the attached image, it shows that they powder coated the aluminum fender flares their version of the granite crystal clear coat. To date, this is the closest match we've been able to locate. I've since sent the link and a picture of this jeep to our powder coaters. Again , this is not our jeep but the same color we're looking for the do these molle panels, front & rear bumpers as well as the side steps.

This borrowed image shows this powder coating supply company offering a granite crystal color for this jeep wrangler. They powder coated the aluminum fenders on this jeep. One thing I've learn about all this is that the color we're actually searching for is a dark gunmetal gray color. Something else I've learn, All powder coating suppliers list colors as being nearly the same, but each has their one touch or variations.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Here's the latest:

I've been informed that the powder coating shop manager is going to re-shoot our Powertank molle panels any color we want. However, he suggest that he doesn't like the company's powders I found who has the granite crystal color.

So I'm expecting 3 links to powder suppliers he uses to lcoate the color. One could be Prismatic Powders. Viewing this site, I did locate "Charcoal Crystal" which is very close to the granite color of our jeep. Even if the color is close but a little darker, this would be closes enough for government work.

Once we determine this color is close enough, our powder coaters will order enough of this color to shoot, 2 bumpers and 3 side steps.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:21 am 
LOST Newbie

Here's the latest.

Just got three links from our powder coaters. These links represent powder supply companies they use to acquire their colors. Even before they sent these links I knew one of them was Prismatic Powders. I had already saved the link because I located our granite color within their image gallery.

Here's the break down. We'll be needing one color and one clear coat to create the closest match to the granite color of our jeep. Even the Prismatic Powders site said that the "Cadillac Gray" is a dark charcoal gunmetal gray and I've seen several other sites mention this same color. Next we'll need the Clear Vision clear coat to create our granite color.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:24 am 
LOST Newbie

Here's the latest.

The powder coat has just confirmed that the have the "Cadillac Gray" in house and can shoot our panels as soon as we can get them shipped. These panels are boxed up and just waiting to be taken to our local UPS store. Searching for a better image of this Cadillac Gray would look like, I borrowed an image from the Toyota 4Runner forums.

This is the closest color (in powder coating form) that matches the Jeep's granite color. Though even if it's a little darker that would be acceptable. But the proof is in the pudding and we'll just have to wait and see how close these colors are to our jeep. If successful, we have a lot more products for our powder coaters to do.

Since posting this and joining instagram, Powertank and a couple others have been following my topics and are interested in seeing how their panels will turn out.

Stay tuned..

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2019 5:05 pm 
LOST Newbie

We've had to delay shipping the 2 molle panels back to our powder coaters. Reason being.. There was a false charge on our account last week which took time out of schedule to clear up. There's always something that attempts to set us back. But these panels will be shipped back to PA next weekend.

We can't wait to see how close this color is to the Jeep's granite color. Even if it's just a tad off, it should be close enough. Once we confirm this is the best possible color, we'll move on to getting a set of the Tyger side steps and have these powder coated the same Cadillac Gray.

TJM Gold Edition Shocks
Drop-in K&N Filter