It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 7:03 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat May 31, 2008 11:44 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

see no one beleived me when I said that

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 12:12 am 

tommudd wrote:
PCT 1981 wrote:

275 bucks wow :shock: but I guess it would cover all of that ugly flat area

I posted this one up in a different forum a few weeks ago, looks nearly identical to the PSC but 80 bucks cheaper.

http://www.atozfabrication.com/catalog/19972003jeepwranglertjcyclonelouveredhoodinsert-p-181.html?zenid=bf005935c86f49704ef5482d3be4e3d7

Jeep Tech Files

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:29 am 
LOST Addict

jsc7002 wrote:
man theses ones I got work amazingly! they are only 7.5"x8" but they pull heat out! and are hot to the touch b/c of all the heat

Yeah, after I went wheeling the other day I touched mine and it was really hot. It seriously felt like a hair dryer on low blowing on my hand too. They are awesome.

The louvers that are in the link that Daspes gave us look almost identical to the PSC ones. Dang close anyway.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 1:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
see no one beleived me when I said that

I believeed you thats why I bought them, I even decided that next time I go wheeling Im gonna take a pack of hot dogs and cook them over the hood louvers :D

I wont lie though these are not for the weak lol I stood there staring at my hood for a min after I had it all measured and marked working up the courage to cut my hood :lol:

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 2:46 pm 

wonder how many hours of slow trail riding it would take to cook some hot dogs over them :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:00 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:
wonder how many hours of slow trail riding it would take to cook some hot dogs over them :lol: :lol: :lol:

prolly not many I drove my KJ for 30min and the hood louvers were hot, you could lay your hand on them for 5sec then you would need to pull away b/c it was so hot

but i was thinking I would just lay the hot dogs along the louvers go go ride and by the time i was done on the trail ride so would the hot dogs 8)

Post subject: 2005 KJ Limited Vents
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:03 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I may have missed it but does anyone with the rounded sides like the 05 limited have a pic of installed vents?

Terry

Post subject: Re: 2005 KJ Limited Vents
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:22 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fulltimer wrote:
I may have missed it but does anyone with the rounded sides like the 05 limited have a pic of installed vents?

Terry
Look on page 1.

Post subject: Re: 2005 KJ Limited Vents
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 4:38 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Fulltimer wrote:

Terry

heres incubusmike:

his pics are on pg 5...and now here :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:08 pm 
LOST Addict

I think the ones I have might work for the round hood guys as well as the flat ones like mine. You would put the long ones in the same spot as Troy and Tom, but the wide one you would put in the very front as long as you could do the front one without any chopping any support cross members. Not sure if that would work. But the two I have on the sides of my hood would work for you guys and then maybe you could sell the 3rd wide one to a flat hood guy to make up some of the cost. Or just get the ones like jsc7002, Troy and Tom.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 5:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Ok I think some of you are missing the point of what hood vents are for,they are not there to look pretty,if placed in the right spot are very effective in removing heat from the engine bay.
In the pic above the vents circled in orange are pointless,not much heat generated in that area(bling factor),the vent circled in yellow is okay and will help lower underhood temps.The blue strips are where the exhaust manifolds are,the hottest spot in your engine bay,and where you want your vents to be to most effectively remove high heat faster.The farther away from the high heat source the less effective the vents are,notice in the pic below where my vents are.Yes the hood bracing was in the way but by drilling large holes in the braces didn't reduce the effectivness of the vents while still maintaning structural integretety of the braces.

Just remember that RunCool is a supporting vendor of LJS '09,might be a nice jesture to throw some money there way for there support.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:26 pm 
LOST Addict

You should try and feel the heat coming out of my side vents before you call them bling Troy. :lol: I didn't cut big holes in my hood to look pretty either. They work great pure and simple. Hot air doesn't just sit still in the engine compartment. It is fluid and moves so all the vents in my hood work like they should. I won't deny that heat comes more directly from the blue spots you outlined and the ideal vent location is directly above them, but it is pretty ignorant, and kind of niave to say that the vents MUST be directly above the heat source to be affective. :roll: That heat comes up and has to go somewhere and it can quite easily find its way out of the side hood vents and the center vent I use. Especially when off road and the KJ is tilting this way and that. Also, I know I would have been glad to give Run Cool some cash but they are too expensive. Maybe if they would come down like $100. The Gen-Right ones work great, as well as the ones Tom got for like $20 or something ridiculously cheap. It doesn't have to cost a lot to work. :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 6:49 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
but it is pretty ignorant, and kind of niave to say that the vents MUST be directly above the heat source to be affective.
I did not say that,I said the closer to the high heat source the better.Remember that the hot air will travel from the front to the back from the air flow coming from the raditor and/or electric fan running,so closer to the middle and rear of the hood is the best place to place vents to be most effective,but to far to the rear will give the oppisite effect since the high pressure area that is created at the base of the windshield can send air into the engine bay,through the vents, rendering the vents useless(think cowl induction).The air will not move sideways,even if the vehicle is at a angle.

Quote:
but they are too expensive
Quaility isn't cheap,either is good customer service.I'll gladly pay more for a quaility product over a cheap looking/made product to try and save a few bucks.In the long run the better product,even if more expensive,will always be the better value.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:29 pm 
LOST Addict

Hot air rises first and foremost correct? It will find its way out one way or another, just not in an as direct path, so regardless of your disbelief, they work like intended. I missed the part where mine, jsc2007, or Tom's look cheap too, I assume you are hinting that one of ours does because I doubt you wouldn't have stuck that little "cheap looking/ made" jab in there at the end if you weren't. I have zero issues with my louvers so good customer service is a non-point. I believe your louvers are high quality, I also believe you probably paid too much. $130 to $199 for some louvers? You are paying a ton for customer service then. Yes better products are better in the long run, but I fail to see how your product will outlast anyone else's on here, especially to the point of making it worth the price they sell them for. Maybe you got a screaming deal, I have no idea what you paid, but for the average Joe who goes to their site to buy them starting at $130, that isn't cheap, and there are other really great options out there people can run for a substantial discount.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 8:46 pm 

Well I like my OME....Oh wait that was last night ...tonight its louvers. Its all a matter of taste as far as which ones you have, and of course money. I looked at them all and liked how the GTPs looked and so went that route, also knew it was easier just to buy a set, but I have gotten a lot of remarks that people think they are factory, which they are sort of.
I mounted mine first where I thought they would pull the most heat from and second where they looked good at. Would I change after seeing the others...NOPE! To each his own, like anything else everyone has an opinion.

So they all look mighty fine in my book, well except mine....they are CHEAP I guess :cry: no wait I have 150 bucks for other stuff, never mind!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
So now I sit here and watch this all unfold....who leaves LOST tonight :P :P

Tom

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:15 pm 
LOST Addict

I don't think we have to worry about anyone leaving the site. :lol: To each his own. Troy can get what he wants, I can get what I want, and others can do likewise and no one can do anything about it. :D Yes we can flame and bash, but that gets us nowhere. I am open to constructive criticism and hope others are too. Just make dang sure you have a good argument when you try to persuade me that what I run is crap. :twisted:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:35 pm 

Well INC , I have to tell you I like yours except the color, who the heck likes or drives a black vehicle anyways :shock: :shock: :shock: :twisted:

and thats from someone who has owned 17 black vehicles :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 01, 2008 9:44 pm 
LOST Addict

Its just gross isn't it? :wink: I keep trying to convince my wife she needs a black jeep as well, but she doesn't want two black jeeps. :?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:24 pm 
LOST Member

Yet another style I stumbled across. Not as attractive as some of the others but you can close them if you need to.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=518333

Looks like they are what is used on big rigs.

29G, Tow pkg, full skids, bun warmers, moon roof
Amsoil Air Filter, CB, custom cargo box
OME / Rancho Lift / Rockcrusher rear Diff Cover / Super Skink Sliders (not installed yet)
245/75R16 GY MT/R's with Crager 16 x 8 x 5" BS wheels
L.O.S.T. # 005465

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 4:32 pm 
LOST Addict

those aren't really my favorite.
I like the ones on Troy's KJ.
After It stops being so hot here in Oklahoma, and it stops raining all the time, I will be starting to do this!

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 175 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ... 9  Next