It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 11:11 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Trailer harness plug question
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 8:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Here's the location on the RL bumper that I want to mount the RV 7-way round connector.

I think this is USAFCOP's KJ...

So according to this picture did you just buy an aftermarket 7 way plug or use the OEM one? and how big was the hole you had to drill? was it a PITA to drill it?

other mods coming soon...

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:04 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I would use the OEM if mine had one. Im not sure on the size I can try to measure mine tomorrow. I think it would be a pain bc the hole isnt real small and that metal is 3/16" Id want to use a plasma cutter but I bet a dremel would work.

http://www.dpgoffroad.com/
http://www.ucora.org/
http://www.christianoffroad.com/
http://jeepinbyal.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I bought the OEM wiring harness which comes with the factory RV round plug, I'm sure that's what USAFCOP used as well. Ask Rock Lizard or USAFCOP, they drilled the holes to make it work. Mine is about to go into production here pretty soon.

I took the road less traveled. Now I'm LOST.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:42 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

i have the towing package on my KJ. but since the bumper has a built in hitch i figure id take of my OEM hitch and gain a few inches in ground clearance. so i would move my harness to the RL bumper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 11:56 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

0311_DoC wrote:
i have the towing package on my KJ. but since the bumper has a built in hitch i figure id take of my OEM hitch and gain a few inches in ground clearance. so i would move my harness to the RL bumper

Smart move, I was sold when I saw USAFCOP's set-up. According to RL, there isn't a lot of room for play. So be careful where you make your hole. :shock:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 am 
LOST Addict

that was an option to get the 4 pin or 7 pin plus for the liberty from the dealer? even when you buy it afterwards? i just got the 4 pin mopar one. is the 7 pin just for trailer brakes?

if i get a pop-up camper, do i need the 7 pin? or would a 4-to 7pin adapter plug work?

Post subject: Re: Trailer harness plug question
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:37 am 
SFA doesn't snap at the ball joint

0311_DoC wrote:
Here's the location on the RL bumper that I want to mount the RV 7-way round connector.

So according to this picture did you just buy an aftermarket 7 way plug or use the OEM one? and how big was the hole you had to drill? was it a PITA to drill it?

Used factory plug. I want to say it was a 2.5" or 3" hole saw. I just took the plug to the lowes and we picked out the hole saw that fit around it with a little gap (the factory plug has two tabs to align it in the factory holder). As for drilling, we did it while the bumper was on the table. We marked it squared it, and then drilled. As for the screw holes, put it on the jeep, then used a level and then drilled and screwed it in place.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 2:47 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

RAYMAN975 wrote:
that was an option to get the 4 pin or 7 pin plus for the liberty from the dealer? even when you buy it afterwards? i just got the 4 pin mopar one. is the 7 pin just for trailer brakes?

if i get a pop-up camper, do i need the 7 pin? or would a 4-to 7pin adapter plug work?

the 7 RV round is used for most campers or trailers that have electric brakes. And yes, you can order that part from Mopar.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:38 pm 

dieselenthusiast wrote:
RAYMAN975 wrote:

the 7 RV round is used for most campers or trailers that have electric brakes. And yes, you can order that part from Mopar.

Tow pkg came stock w/7-pin plug and a 4 pin adapter to plug into it.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 5:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

USAFCOP wrote:
0311_DoC wrote:

Used factory plug. I want to say it was a 2.5" or 3" hole saw. I just took the plug to the lowes and we picked out the hole saw that fit around it with a little gap (the factory plug has two tabs to align it in the factory holder). As for drilling, we did it while the bumper was on the table. We marked it squared it, and then drilled. As for the screw holes, put it on the jeep, then used a level and then drilled and screwed it in place.

well I kinda screwed the pooch :evil: :evil: :evil: I used a 2 3/8 hole saw and it was to big. so now the holes in the plug that I need to screw into the bumper don't line up around the hole.. it looked like it was gonna be to tight when i went to the store to find out what size I needed. Now I got to figure out how to attach it to the bumper. Im thinking maybe putting a thin piece of metal on the inside of the bumper as anchor point or something..what do you think ???

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:09 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Mike, I know your probably wanting to get that bumper back on, but if you can give me a few days to get a chance to make it then ship it, I will make you a custom adaptor/washer that you can put on the other side of the bumper to mount that plug too and still use the same hole you just made and you won't even be able to tell the hole was too big.

I just put a 2 1/4 hole saw up to the stock plug I have, and 2 3/8" is only 1/16" more radius than the holesaw I just compared to the plug, and the four mounting bolt holes will be dang close to the edge, but I don't see why it still wouldn't work.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 10:12 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Rock Lizard wrote:
Mike, I know your probably wanting to get that bumper back on, but if you can give me a few days to get a chance to make it then ship it, I will make you a custom adaptor/washer that you can put on the other side of the bumper to mount that plug too and still use the same hole you just made and you won't even be able to tell the hole was too big.

I just put a 2 1/4 hole saw up to the stock plug I have, and 2 3/8" is only 1/16" more radius than the holesaw I just compared to the plug, and the four mounting bolt holes will be dang close to the edge, but I don't see why it still wouldn't work.

Thanks Marty.. :) I really appreciate it, That 2 3/8 looked like it was gonna barely fit, then after I drilled it I couldn't believe how much bigger it was then the adapter.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:38 pm 
LOST Addict

not really wanting to drill into my bumper... any other suggestions?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 14, 2013 12:55 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Its really the best location so you don't tear it off
Funny looking at that bumper since its on mine now :wink: :lol: