It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:33 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Custom Homemade LED Tail Lights :)
PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 3:01 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

surfRenegade wrote:
wow, really nice work! :SOMBRERO:
thanks peeps!!
mapco wrote:
I like that reverse light
thanks, I enjoy it as well :lol: its pretty bright too!

4.10s sitting in a box - 3

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Tue Dec 20, 2011 10:55 am 
LOST Newbie

infernicus wrote:
8)

Awesome job!

I think it looks kinda cool with the black grommets. Matches the tire, which also kinda matches with that red stripe in it.

I have some experience with grote lights, they are "sunny-bright" at night time. Not too bad during the day either.

Now you need to LED the high mount and you'll really be :rockon:

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 5:30 am 
LOST Member

Wait a sec... are there no white colored lights on both light housing for reversing? I think that's illegal. I don't think you can have just one reverse light on the right of the spare.

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 6:39 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

mapco wrote:
Wait a sec... are there no white colored lights on both light housing for reversing? I think that's illegal. I don't think you can have just one reverse light on the right of the spare.

I guess that depends on the state. Here in Virginia there is no set number of reverse lights and you don't have to have any at all, but if you do have them they have to work. In North Carolina you don't have to have any and if you do they still don't have to work, the number is limited to no more than 2 though but there is nothing that makes just having one illegal and there are no laws governing where they are (as long as they are facing the rear)

2003 KJ Limited, 2002 KJ Renegade, 2002 KJ Sport 2WD, 2002 KJ Sport, 2000 XJ SE 2WD, 1998 ZJ Laredo, 1996 XJ Country , 1990 YJ, 1991 SJ Grand Wagoneer, 1979 SJ Wagoneer
Projects I am looking for:
1996-2001 XJ, 1980-1988 AMC Eagle Wagon

PostPosted: Wed Dec 21, 2011 8:37 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I'm not exactly sure of the law. I have another set of tail lights ready to swap out when inspection time comes just to be safe.
Also, the 2011(?) Scion xB came from the factory with only one rear facing reverse light, and I see plenty of those on the road.
Sooooooooo, lol.

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:49 am 
LOST Newbie

These look great, nice work. Did you need a load resistor kit to keep the turn signals from blinking too fast? Thinking this will make a great spring project, probably going to start ordering parts soon. Can you provide any details on your process, and maybe the stock tail light wiring set up?

PostPosted: Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:43 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

benjaminplum wrote:
These look great, nice work. Did you need a load resistor kit to keep the turn signals from blinking too fast? Can you provide any details on your process, and maybe the stock tail light wiring set up?
Thanks man. I did use a load resistor for each tail light to fix the "fast-flash".

I also updated my second post with some more pictures; viewtopic.php?p=708205#p708205

Enjoy!
8)

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2012 3:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

once i say the ny plates i knew i had seen you before, i saw you driving one night and the tailights looked awesome, and i tried following you to ask you where you got them at least now i know. what else did you do to your kj? im always looking for ideas.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:26 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

03libertyobsessed wrote:
once i saw the ny plates i knew i had seen you before, i saw you driving one night and the tailights looked awesome, and i tried following you to ask you where you got them at least now i know. what else did you do to your kj? im always looking for ideas.

Hey! Thanks, I appreciate that. Where are you from? Where did you see me? (I get around, haha)
I added a lift, tires, extra lights, stuff like that, I love my truck!
8)

Sold-1988 Suzuki Samurai
2002 Jeep TJ

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:18 pm 
LOST Newbie

infernicus wrote:
03libertyobsessed wrote:
once i saw the ny plates i knew i had seen you before, i saw you driving one night and the tailights looked awesome, and i tried following you to ask you where you got them at least now i know. what else did you do to your kj? im always looking for ideas.

Hey! Thanks, I appreciate that. Where are you from? Where did you see me? (I get around, haha)
I added a lift, tires, extra lights, stuff like that, I love my truck!
8)

I saw you on avenue u and flatbush ave by kings plaza, i wanted to know if you'd be willing to make another set of lights like that but with reverse lights built in and if yes how much lol

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:33 pm 
LOST Member

Original poster: tail lights look good. I'd go this route over the LED bulb option as well.

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 12:57 am 
LOST Junkie

Looks awesome Dean! Nice job!!

Cookie Monster - 04 Silver TJ Rubicon, 5.5" Rock Krawler, 1.25" Body Lift, 35" Goodyear MTR's