It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 5:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: plasti dipped whole jeep
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:16 pm 
LOST Member

it was to temping after i tried a few cans out on my right fender and panel so the next day i went out and picked up 20 cans of black matte plasti dip at lowes for 5.85 a can.

it turned out alright for being rattle can instead of spray on. no zebra strips in the paint. The pictures dont give it justice because they are a day old and the pollen attacked it.

here is a picture of the texture after I washed it.

If some of you don't know this is a rubber compound that is completely removable and lasts up to a year or longer depending on how many coats you apply, so when I'm tired of the matte black or it starts tearing ill just peal it off. also doesn't affect paint or takes any sanding or prep just clean with windex and start spraying.
the only down side i can see to this is if your going to wheel anywhere with trees close to the trail it might scratch this stuff off. feedback or questions welcome.

Post subject: Re: plasti dipped whole jeep
PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 12:59 pm 
LOST Newbie

Looks good! I used it on my spare to make it somewhat match my new wheels and also black out my emblems. Once its cured its pretty strong stuff so I would think it would take small hits fairly well. The nice part is its like adding a layer of protection to your factory paint helping resale :grin:

Sent from my Galaxy Note II using Tapatalk 2

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 4:50 pm 
LOST Newbie

I'm surprised I'm saying this about a $100 "paint" job, but... That looks awesome! Also, I like the front fender mod- it looks very clean compared to some of the hack jobs I've seen elsewhere. I'll be curious to see how it holds up, but my experience with plasti-dip has been pretty good on tools/ax handles/etc. Fading would be my biggest concern. Nice job!

Frankenlifted (plus 1 extra rear iso. and a 3 nut clevis), Al's gen 4.5 UCA's, Full Mopar Skids, Kurt Hitch, Soft 8's, BFG AT's 245 75 16, Rock Lizard Front Bumper, fence top-rail crossbars (unbent!), some stuff inside...

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 5:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

That looks pretty darn cool. I am contemplating using Duplicolor Bedliner or Plasti-dip on my bumpers, fenders, and lower half of doors..

Future: cargo roof basket, recovery points, skids..
"...to disarm the people - that was the best and most effectual way to enslave them." - George Mason

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 9:25 pm 
LOST Addict

i hope you did thick coats otherwise it is going to be a royal pain to strip the entire thing. thin coats peel off in smaller pieces. other then that, not bad. ive been wanting to do my rims.

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:31 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've used Plasti-Dip on a lot of things. In AZ it dries out and cracks/peels within a few short months. It also fades to dark gray in a hurry. It looks good now though! Just avoid any encounters with brush, low hanging branches, etc. and you might get a whole year out of it.

'07 4X4 KJ - Clevis, Top Plate, Isos - Black Rock Lobos, Gorilla Lugs, Goodyear Wranglers - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - Curt Roof Basket, ARES Cross Bars - aFe Filter - Mopar Skids - CB, Phone Mount, Inverter, GoPro - Planned: Dynomax Muffler, Aftermarket Headunit, Airflow Snorkel, Lund Xtreme Floor Liners

PostPosted: Thu May 02, 2013 11:40 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

looks cool but i could come up with 100 other things to spend about 100 bucks on something that is just going to peel a few months down the road

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:55 am 
LOST Newbie

Agreed. I do like it though, and it's not permanent.

If you really fall in love with how it looks I'd do the whole thing in bedliner. I've seen lots of Wranglers and pickups sprayed in bedliner but never a Liberty. It adds a bit of weight but you end up with a pretty indestructible finish and a unique look.

'07 4X4 KJ - Clevis, Top Plate, Isos - Black Rock Lobos, Gorilla Lugs, Goodyear Wranglers - Front & Rear Tow Hooks - Curt Roof Basket, ARES Cross Bars - aFe Filter - Mopar Skids - CB, Phone Mount, Inverter, GoPro - Planned: Dynomax Muffler, Aftermarket Headunit, Airflow Snorkel, Lund Xtreme Floor Liners

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 7:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

In a year or so...

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 12:11 pm 
LOST Member

Thanks for the imput guys. Im nervous to see how it holds up. It seems to be getting harder in the last few days but im sure I wont try and push the dip past a year from what I've read the longer it stays on the more brittle it becomes making it a pain to take off. I sure do like the flat black though, might just have to paint it after I remove the dip.
Meglos thanks for the image now every time I see my jeep that plasti dip fourhead will be all I can think of "NASTY"!

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:14 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

looks good i was thinking about doing the bumpers and some trim of my work truck dodge derango but now i may think about doing the whole thing

2002 Jeep Liberty KJ 245/75R16 BFG Tread Write MTGs OME / rancho lift
1999 Dodge Durango SXT 4X4V8
2012 Dodge Journey SXT 3.6 V6
South Florida Jeep Club (SFJC) Member

PostPosted: Fri May 03, 2013 1:33 pm 
LOST Member

I've had my wheels dipped for a year. They have a few blemishes but otherwise fine. See alot of salt and mud too.

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 10:26 am 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

I have to say that looks really good!
Like Dirtykk said I hope its on there thick. I did my plastic bumpers and flares, when I wanted to take it off it was a royal pita. Ended up dissolving it with paint thinner and lots of rags.

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2013 5:57 pm 
LOST Junkie

0uTkAsT wrote:
Agreed. I do like it though, and it's not permanent.

If you really fall in love with how it looks I'd do the whole thing in bedliner. I've seen lots of Wranglers and pickups sprayed in bedliner but never a Liberty. It adds a bit of weight but you end up with a pretty indestructible finish and a unique look.

Its already been done Diggerfreak did his a few years ago

Chincy 2" lift for now
31x10.50r15s
HPD30 front and D44 rear

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2013 7:43 am 
LOST Newbie

Looks hella tight!