It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:16 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 1:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

So, I've recently become active again on the site. Officially out of the marine Corps after 7 1/2 years. Decided that since its finally nice out, I should start ripping trim off and painting. I got a couple pieces done before the weather got bad for about a week or so. I fully trimmed the bumper, which I will pull off again to paint to match the rest. Plans today is to finish all existing fender flares and the rear bumper. Picked up my plastic rivets from Napa so I'm set. Here are some before/now pics for your amusement.

These are pre painting
ImageImage
Grill is plasti dipped

Gutted the front and mounted my custom fabbed front hitch for the winch

Nice and shiny flare. Paint used was of course 2 coats of primer, Rust-oleum super strength gloss enamel, and 4 coats of clear. Other flare is for contrast.
ImageImage

Random pic of Khaos

Front painted, back is still stock
ImageImageImageImageImage

Other notes: completely ripped out the front plastic splash guards. Stupid things. Still need to order my roof rack and need something to mount my large spare tire onto. Also, need to find a place for my hi-lift jack.

Done posting pics for now. Off the clean and rip plastic off the Jeep. I'll post more when completed for this "phase".

Post subject: Re: Painting trim and modding. It's been a long time coming.
PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 7:17 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member

KJs looking good but throw up some of the F150 :wink:
Had a 79 short bed that I ran 38s on back in the late 70s early 80s
all the bells and whistles you could get back then

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:12 pm 
LOST Junkie

KJ's looking good :JEEPIN: I noticed the K9. Were you an MP in the Marines? I used to be an MP when I was in the Army.

1995 Jeep Wrangler YJ

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3897619/2005-jeep-liberty-sport-sport-utility-4d

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

tommudd wrote:

What, like variable speed wipers and a/c?
LOL

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 9:28 pm 

arengant wrote:
tommudd wrote:

What, like variable speed wipers and a/c?
LOL

had neither A/C nor variable speed wipers !
Did have front and rear lockers and lots of engine :pepper:

PostPosted: Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:06 pm 
LOST Addict

Tom beat me to asking for more pics of the Ford lol :jester:

Anyways, thank you for your service, and it looks good. Subtle, yet different. Now we need more pics of that Ford before we get more pics of the KJ :goink: :POPCORN:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 3:26 am 
LOST Junkie

Looking Good!! Like the demountable winch at the front. I have one to Warm 8000 with cradel, just wondering if you place it in the boot of the KJ and how you secure it when you don't use it.
Fil.

Curt Front Hitch+Warn M8000 & Cradel
Asfir Front, Gearbox,Transfer Skid + Mopar Tank Skid
BF Goodridge KM2 & General Grabbers AT 245/75R16
OME NS131&790 + NS132L&948, 3/8 Boiler Top Plate, JBA 4.5, 2 Top Rear Isolators

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 5:26 pm 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:

Bmxer524 wrote:
Tom beat me to asking for more pics of the Ford lol :jester:

Anyways, thank you for your service, and it looks good. Subtle, yet different. Now we need more pics of that Ford before we get more pics of the KJ :goink: :POPCORN:

Ask and ye shall receive. I'll also post a quick breakdown of what I've done to her.

KJ_WHEELER_2010 wrote:
KJ's looking good :JEEPIN: I noticed the K9. Were you an MP in the Marines? I used to be an MP when I was in the Army.

I was Infantry for most of my career. They started a K-9 cross training program that I volunteered for during my second tour. Khaos has been with me for about 3 years. Now, I work for the Sheriff Department and also a K-9 handler trainer for the state. Guess they couldn't pass up a free dog lol. He's trained mostly as a bite/bomb dog but I've got him training on drug recognition now.

Pippobug wrote:
Looking Good!! Like the demountable winch at the front. I have one to Warm 8000 with cradel, just wondering if you place it in the boot of the KJ and how you secure it when you don't use it.
Fil.

The winch is a waterproof Recon so I very rarely take it off. When I do, it sits briefly in the back somewhere rolling around lol.

Anyways, to the truck pics!

Most of those were from the day I got it built.

custom tube bumper that I made and apparently, desperately needs refinished.

Rhinolined the entire inside.

So you can see all the frills that came with the /70's :D

Fully loaded. AC and intermittent wipers lol (I took the AC out)

Truck has a brand new Crate 460, Detroit Lockers front and rear, Dana 60 up front, stock 9 inch in the rear, custom drive shaft, Yukon Chromoly axles all the way around, 4.88 gears, 6 inch Skyjacker lift with a 3 inch body lift, another custom front hitch( done by yours truly), I have a rear disk conversion kit sitting in my shed that needs to still go on it. I completely redid the brake system. Ford F350 tandem booster, F350 master cylinder, Thunderbird brake calipers, crossdrilled rotors. It will lock those 38's up with ease. The truck will do about anything but pass up a gas station. Let me know if you want to see anything else

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:19 pm 

Thanks for the Ford pics
about the way mine was set up
Local Ford dealership where I used to work had this one and couldn't sell it so I bought it and ran it for a few years. 79 model, the 351 M was gone through with 22 miles on the odo, lift/ gears when it had 110 miles , sold it in 1981 , still wish I had it :cry:

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2013 7:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

U.S.Marine29 wrote:
The truck will do about anything but pass up a gas station. Let me know if you want to see anything else

:-)r
I had a '76 f150 with a 460 swapped in... I think it got 4-6 mph!

Looks good

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
Thanks for the Ford pics
about the way mine was set up
Local Ford dealership where I used to work had this one and couldn't sell it so I bought it and ran it for a few years. 79 model, the 351 M was gone through with 22 miles on the odo, lift/ gears when it had 110 miles , sold it in 1981 , still wish I had it :cry:

Man, I wouldn't have ever given that truck up. It looks beautiful. Probably because it was only a few years old ;) lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 11:35 am 

It had over 90,000 when I sold it, had 7 people on a list wanting it. Guy that bought it was at a Mall 2 weeks later and it was stolen. They found the frame 8 years later still had my name welded on it ! Had a 68 and a 70 Bronco at the same time so while it was hard to get rid of the F-150 I had other toys :wink:

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 4:36 pm 
LOST Newbie

Upon removal, I discovered 5 year old mud. What a poor bumper design. Looks like a Rock Lizard is in my future.

Everything is finished except the bottom trim, middle door trim, and the front bumper (also a horrible design) Awaiting for this new spy ninja awesome front bumper to release. Next I'm tackling all the recalls that I've been getting notices for, as well as installing my renegade light kit. Other than that here's my pup Jinx. He actually beats Khaos up lol

PostPosted: Fri Jun 21, 2013 5:46 pm 
LOST Junkie

Jinx is a cutie, but so is Khaos ;)

Nice job on the trim.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 12:38 am 
LOST Addict

Man, I'm really growing up in the wrong generation. :banghead: I wish I was part of my parents age. The old muscle cars and trucks is where it's at.

Either way, great looking Ford. I like it more than the Jeep 8)

Tom's was just as nice. You've had way too many vehicles in your life bud. One of these days you need to make your own topic showcasing all of them lol

PostPosted: Sat Jun 22, 2013 7:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well, today I found something that wasn't supposed to be there. Image
Today is an unhappy day. No time to fix it. 16 hour shift at work. I'll tackle it sometime soon.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 2:09 pm 
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor
Lifetime Member & Advertising Vendor

Is that a rogue wood chip?

ATHFAB.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 23, 2013 9:49 pm 
LOST Newbie

Atthehelm wrote:
Is that a rogue wood chip?

Yeah it's a rogue wood chip/spear lol. Went clean through. Apparently it was holding the liquid and pressure in. Kinda crazy. I pulled it out and everything went gushing......that's what she said.

So, now I need a new radiator. Joy.

PostPosted: Mon Jun 24, 2013 7:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

Installed new radiator. What an absolute PITA. New fluids. Took this time to change the front and rear diff fluids. Ripped out the rear plastic splash guards and painted all the silver metal with rubber spray coating. Washed, attacked it with a clay bar, Meguiar's Ultimate Compound on the hood to take out the swirls, and the Heap has a brand new coat of Meguiars Ultimate Synthetic Paste wax. Yumm. This is what happens when i can't sleep and have to be at work at midnight tonight.

Also, rhino lined the entire floor of the F-150 so I can just hose it out :P That beast is sexah

PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2013 3:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

A couple quick pics from yesterday. Rhino Lining cured perfectly.

ImageImageImage

Also, installing a couple goodies in the Jeep.

Still need a good box for my sub. It's blowing apart all the pre fab boxes that I have.

Still debating on ripping out all the interior plastic and painting it.