It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 10:55 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Plastidipped wheels, plastic, and doors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 2:08 am 
LOST Member

Lot of plastidipping going on around here lately... Might as well post mine.

This stuff was really easy to do. So far it has been durable against a power sprayer and automatic car wash...except for the part where I scraped it when it was still wet. Easy to touch up though.

The day after I finished. It's looking much better than with the gray plastic that had black paint flaking off of it from my previous failed attempt.

Trimmed the front bumper. Had the shop to myself after work and couldn't resist the urge to do this.

Baller mode, activate! Form of...Jeep Liberty!

2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.

Post subject: Re: Plastidipped wheels, plastic, and doors
PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 11:24 am 
LOST Newbie

WOW. What color plastidip was that? That is exactly how I've wanted to do it.

Hitch + Recovery Shackle
Boilers Gas Tank Skid
Clarion NZ409 In-dash Sat-Navigation

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 3:55 pm 
LOST Member

Looking good. Ive been waiting to do my roof, fender, and bumpers. Dont know if its going to hold up to the hawaii sun. Grills been doing good but gets tacky in the mid day sun.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2013 4:52 pm 
LOST Newbie

05renny wrote:
WOW. What color plastidip was that? That is exactly how I've wanted to do it.

It's black. Looks like the stuff you can get at Lowes/Home Depot.

fortx4 KJ wrote:
Looking good. Ive been waiting to do my roof, fender, and bumpers. Dont know if its going to hold up to the hawaii sun. Grills been doing good but gets tacky in the mid day sun.
How hot does it get down there? It's usually sitting somewhere in the mid to high 90's here in Georgia. Holds up great in the sun....and on the trails....and in the car wash....and in rain...and in snow...

2" Daystar Lift
TJ Moabs w/ 245/75R16 Duratrac's

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 8:25 am 
LOST Member

fortx4 KJ wrote:
How hot does it get down there? It's usually sitting somewhere in the mid to high 90's here in Georgia. Holds up great in the sun....and on the trails....and in the car wash....and in rain...and in snow...[/quote]

LOL Highs of 87 lows of 72 year round. The sun here kills paint clear coat and salt water air makes everything rust.

Frankenlifted front, custom springs 4" rear, 23.25" F/R - 265/75 Duratracs 16x7 D windows- JBA 4.5 UCAs, Y-link - AEM Brute Intake - Rockcrusher diff cover, Mopar Front Skid, All J belly skid, Skink Sliders - EBC Green Stuff F/R - DTT Front, 4.10s

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 12:22 pm 
LOST Member

Yep, its the regular black variety that hardware stores sell. They make a "glossifier" topcoat that I am going to try out. The major downside is that dust and dirt stick to it like crazy, especially on the parts that were textured plastic. The glossy top coat is supposed to help with that, and keep it looking more black and less gray.

2006 Sport 4X4, Deep Beryl Green, NSG370, NV241J, Lifted with OME 927/948 and Bilstein, JBA 4.5 UCA's, Custom 3" Rear Y-Link Extension and Swaybar Relocation, 265/75-16 Toyo Open Country AT2 tires, Black Plastidipped bumpers, flares, and doors, Pioneer speakers, Alpine head unit, 1200w Phoenix Gold Amp, 12" Dayton Reference sub.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 06, 2013 11:51 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

TheJawsOfDeath wrote:
Yep, its the regular black variety that hardware stores sell. They make a "glossifier" topcoat that I am going to try out. The major downside is that dust and dirt stick to it like crazy, especially on the parts that were textured plastic. The glossy top coat is supposed to help with that, and keep it looking more black and less gray.

Post pics once your try the glossy!

05 CRD Sport Dark Kahki

RRO: Adventure Rack/Rails ** MOPAR: Skids/Renny Flares & 255/75r17 (32.1) BFG M/T on JK wheels ** ARB: Bumper/IPF lights/790/948/shocks ** GDE: TCM/Hot Tune ** ROCKLIZARD: Super Sliders/Komodo Bumper

My Build Thread
US Army Infantry

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2013 5:38 am 
LOST Member

I definitely will. I Don't expect this to be 100% permanent though. It looks great at first, but it isn't like bedliner. I aligned my jeep a few days ago, had been like 2 weeks since I did the plastidip. The wheel clamps poked holes through the dipped wheels. I hooked up the alignment machine myself, there was no way to avoid the damage. even so, I gotta recommend that if you want to try it, to black out your jeep or do some other color, just do it. I did seven or eight coats, and my materials cost was less than $50!

I should add that it's chemical resistance properties are questionable. I spilled a drop of gasoline on my fender, and the 'dip just kinda liquefied. It eventually dried out, but I can see the spot.