It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 12:09 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Fraser Island, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 7:27 am 
LOST Newbie

Thought I'd share a couple of pictured from a recent trip.

Fraser Island
is one of those "Must Visit" destinations if you're an Australian 4WDer and I'm lucky enough to live just a few hours away from the island that I visit it at least once a year.

It's the worlds largest natural sand island and is just beautifull. Miles of pristene beaches, amazing fishing and if you venture inland you're surrounded by breathtaking rain forests and freshwater lakes..... just watch out for the Dingoes... we train them to keep tourist numbers down 8)

I wish I had more of the island scenary itself but had some camera issues. :( Here's what I have from my phone at least.

This is the Maheno Shipwreck on the Eastern side of the Island.

Bit furthur out so you can see it's size.

I towed a camper trailer on this trip. I was a bit worried as it was my first time I'd towed one in soft sand but the KK didn't get bogged once.

That's my silly mate on the right getting a ticket for speeding on the beach. tsk tsk, hadn't slowed down from 80KPH to 40KPH through this popular tourist section and the cops were waiting. :-)r

Here's a video of me going through notorious Indian Head Bypass. Do a YouTube search of it and you'll see countless people getting bogged in the soft sand. People setup chairs and have a few beers watching the carnage. The KK made it through both times unscathed thankfully. You'll have to excuse my paniky wife in this vid... for some reason she thinks a car is always about to jump out in front of us when we go 4WDing ><

http://youtu.be/8yCBAJ45XaM

Enjoy.

Uneek4x4 Steel Bar with Runva11xp Winch.
16x8 AEV Rims Powdercoated Black. (245/75/16 Summit Mud Hogs)
Yakima Roof Basket with Side Mounted Awning.

Post subject: Re: Fraser Island, Australia
PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:56 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Thanks for posting! :JEEPIN:

2003 KJ Renegade, 5 speed, frankenlifted,Al's a Arms 4.5,Moabs 245/75/16 BFG KM2's, custom rock rails, full Mopar skids, Hella ff220 lights,Hd cooling,Front DTT,Riddler diff cover,Rola safari rack,Cobra 29 peaked & tuned.

Pastafari Alum, Pink shovel recipient

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 6:07 pm 
LOST Newbie

Nice video and pics.
When i was in Australia i missed my KJ the most. Unfortunaly everything i could rent is TLC78 on stock wheels.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 06, 2013 9:29 pm 
LOST Newbie

I wish Australia had an Air Force base I could go do...I would go there in a heartbeat. The closest I can get with my career is Guam.

2" Daystar Lift
TJ Moabs w/ 245/75R16 Duratrac's

PostPosted: Sat Sep 07, 2013 1:53 pm 
LOST Member

Looks like a fantastic adventure with plenty of blokes to help get unstuck if needed.

RenegadeKC wrote:
I wish Australia had an Air Force base I could go do...I would go there in a heartbeat. The closest I can get with my career is Guam.

There is always liaison and embassy work ;-)

PostPosted: Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:36 pm 
LOST Member

Great pics and video! Just curious, how do you have that fly rod mounted?? Would love to do something similar with my brush guard

Never Stop Exploring

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:57 am 
LOST Newbie

jjohnson1892 wrote:
Great pics and video! Just curious, how do you have that fly rod mounted?? Would love to do something similar with my brush guard

lol just with string. The rod sits on the raised section of the bonnet bra, is tied to the bar / ariel and then the end tip was just zip-tied to my Jerry Can on the roof.... not fancy but it did me for this trip until I buy a proper rod holder 8)

Uneek4x4 Steel Bar with Runva11xp Winch.
16x8 AEV Rims Powdercoated Black. (245/75/16 Summit Mud Hogs)
Yakima Roof Basket with Side Mounted Awning.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 09, 2013 4:31 pm 
LOST Member

Mikzor wrote:
jjohnson1892 wrote:

lol just with string. The rod sits on the raised section of the bonnet bra, is tied to the bar / ariel and then the end tip was just zip-tied to my Jerry Can on the roof.... not fancy but it did me for this trip until I buy a proper rod holder 8)

Ahh I see, I usually call that some hillbilly engineering :ROTFL: I've seen some exterior fly rod racks that suction to the hood so I may look into one of those, seems more...trustworthy

Never Stop Exploring