It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:03 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: The love of my life, my 2009 KK.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:11 am 
LOST Newbie

My Dad purchased this 2009 KK when it first came out. Just recently, I sold my '99 Saturn and bought the Jeep off of him since he was wanting something new. I bought my KK at the beginning of May and everyday that I climb in, it puts a smile on my face. In the 3 months that I've had my KK, I've done a few modifications. First thing I did was installed a new head unit. I went out and bought the JVC KW-V20BT. It was an easy install and it gives the KK's sound system a major boost. After installing the head unit, I grabbed my old system from the Saturn and hooked it up in the back. MTX Terminators and a Kenwood X500-1 500W Mono Amplifier with a 1400wt TRUCONNEX amp kit. I ordered some plasti dip online to do my wheels for now. I'd love to throw some off-road tires on, but the ones that I like are too big for the stock suspension. I found a 2" lift kit that allows clearance for tires up to 31". Within the next month or so, I'm tinting the windows and plasti dipping the grill to go with the silver/black theme!

One of those before/after shots of the radio install.
It was definitely a challenge to find a good spot to ground my amp.
Sitting outside of the Cincinnati Museum Center. Unfortunately you can see where a shopping cart hit my KK. :(
First bath of the summer!
Right after my friend and I plasti dipped the rims. It was such a nice day out and I was super happy with the results.

Thanks for checking out my post! I'm glad that I found a place that appreciates the KK as much as I do! :)

Post subject: Re: The love of my life, my 2009 KK.
PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 9:38 am 
LOST Addict

Looks great. I'm all about plastidip on stock rims.
On another note. Your tires look bald in the pictures. Which lift kit were you looking at? Stay away from "spacer" style lifts.
Luckily since you have a earlier model KK you can purchase a Hypertech programmer (they don't work on the 2011's and 2012's).

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Gibson stainless steel exhaust
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
BFG All Terrrain 225/75/16
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:43 pm 
LOST Member

Now that the rims are plastidipped remember not to use any of that tire shine spray crap on the tires. I used the Mequiar stuff and it made the plastidip stain with streaks and just looked horrible.

Tom Woods 1310 Front driveshaft
JKS Quicker front Disconnects
Synergy 1.75" Wheel spacer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 12:11 am 
LOST Newbie

Gageraid wrote:
Looks great. I'm all about plastidip on stock rims.
On another note. Your tires look bald in the pictures. Which lift kit were you looking at? Stay away from "spacer" style lifts.
Luckily since you have a earlier model KK you can purchase a Hypertech programmer (they don't work on the 2011's and 2012's).

They might be bald, I'll check them tomorrow! Thanks for the heads up! I'm thinking about doing the 2" Daystar lift. I know I could just search it on Google, but what exactly is a hypertech programmer?!

HedsIc wrote:
Now that the rims are plastidipped remember not to use any of that tire shine spray crap on the tires. I used the Mequiar stuff and it made the plastidip stain with streaks and just looked horrible.

Thanks for the heads up on this too! Do you think it does that all the time? I've used that stuff once before and I've never had any issues!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:18 am 
LOST Addict

I wouldn't advise you to get that lift.
That programmer is a little pricey, sometimes you can find them used, but it makes driving the Libby more tolerable. You get a gain of 24 horsepower and 24 torque.
http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

Also, I agree about the tire shine, but for a different reason. I think the tire shine dries out the plastidip or something. I haven't used it on my tires since I put a new set on and a new coat of dip.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:31 am 
LOST Newbie

Gageraid wrote:
I wouldn't advise you to get that lift.
That programmer is a little pricey, sometimes you can find them used, but it makes driving the Libby more tolerable. You get a gain of 24 horsepower and 24 torque.
http://www.hypertech.com/products-results.aspx

Also, I agree about the tire shine, but for a different reason. I think the tire shine dries out the plastidip or something. I haven't used it on my tires since I put a new set on and a new coat of dip.

Now, I'm not that great with cars. I can really just do the basics when it comes to maintenance and repairs. What do you have to do to hook one if those up? I appreciate the advice too!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:41 am 
LOST Addict

It's simple plug and play. You have an OBDll port right underneath the the steering column by your needs. This programmer you plug in, hit a few buttons, then you remove the programmer and you're done.
I always recommend this programmer because it is the only one, and the 2011 and 2012 guys aren't fortunate enough to be able to use it.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Wed Aug 13, 2014 10:54 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

ThatEpicLlama wrote:
I'm thinking about doing the 2" Daystar lift.

Bad idea, used weak springs, weak shocks will get nothing but a bad ride and handling
Upgrade the suspension with a full springs lift and shocks

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2014 12:56 am 
LOST Newbie

tommudd wrote:
ThatEpicLlama wrote:
I'm thinking about doing the 2" Daystar lift.

Bad idea, used weak springs, weak shocks will get nothing but a bad ride and handling
Upgrade the suspension with a full springs lift and shocks

What kind of lift would you suggest then? I don't have a ton of money at the moment. A decent chunk of my money is going towards my KK as it is already. hahaha.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:08 pm 
LOST Addict

HedsIc wrote:

I use Armor all on my rims. they haven't taken off the plasti dip. for detailing my whole car, I only trust Mequiar products. they also are plasti dipped. I lost count at 10 coats. its a pain to re spray. its a whole day event for a scrape.

https://www.google.com/search?q=armor+all&biw=1280&bih=899&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=OUyUVIKBN7b7sATp9YDoAQ&ved=0CAcQ_AUoAg#tbm=isch&q=armor+all+tire+shine&revid=783885713&facrc=_&imgdii=_&imgrc=Slz3zvtiwTCGwM%253A%3BcMRdnvphNVzjZM%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rollingpaperwarehouse.com%252Fthumbnail.asp%253Ffile%253Dassets%252Fimages%252Fproducts%252Fcansafes2%252Fimages%252Ftire_foam.gif%2526maxx%253D300%2526maxy%253D300%3Bhttp%253A%252F%252Fwww.rollingpaperwarehouse.com%252FArmor-All-Tire-Foam-Protectant-Stash-Safe_p_1245.html%3B300%3B300

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:49 pm 
LOST Addict

I haven't used anything on my tires in a few months because I felt like it was drying up the plastidip if it got on the rim.
For now I don't use anything on the tires besides soap and water and same thing for my plastidipped rims.
For any minor rips in plastidip all you have to do is tape around the section and give it a few sprays of dip. No need to do the whole rim again. The color blends in after a week or so.

Sky Slider
Hypertech Max Energy
K&N CAI
Blacked out
ScanGauge2
JBA upper control arms

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2014 1:05 pm 
LOST Addict

Gageraid wrote:
I haven't used anything on my tires in a few months because I felt like it was drying up the plastidip if it got on the rim.
For now I don't use anything on the tires besides soap and water and same thing for my plastidipped rims.
For any minor rips in plastidip all you have to do is tape around the section and give it a few sprays of dip. No need to do the whole rim again. The color blends in after a week or so.

I don't re spray the whole rim. also I don't tape the area off because it may leave sharp edges if not taped properly and you could see the patch. im very particular with my rims, and so far they're looking good.

I just spot spray and blend the tear in.

when im done detailing the body, I make sure the rims and tire are still damp and hit the whole rim with armor all trying to avoid the caliper and rotor.

Maxxis 31x10.50x15

ATS42rle