It is currently Sun Apr 28, 2024 4:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 9:32 pm 
LOST Newbie

My experience is in my 1996 Cherokee. I had a K&N in for most of the 140,000 miles. When I stripped the engine to replace the exhaust manifold, to my amazement, there was K&N (presumably) sticky goo throughout the intake runners and around the injectors. Needless to say, I cleaned it up and never bought a K&N since.

Did it once, but my evidence showed it made a mess of my intake.

My 3,995 cents.

Brent
2005 Renegade
Blown Struts from "Budget" Lift, Waiting on Replacement parts.
245/75-16 BFGs
Custom Labrador Hair Seats

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:05 pm 
LOST Junkie

[quote="brwvtx1800"]My experience is in my 1996 Cherokee. I had a K&N in for most of the 140,000 miles. When I stripped the engine to replace the exhaust manifold, to my amazement, there was K&N (presumably) sticky goo throughout the intake runners and around the injectors. Needless to say, I cleaned it up and never bought a K&N since.

Did it once, but my evidence showed it made a mess of my intake.

My 3,995 cents.[/quote]

exactly, thanks for backing me up with more real information.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:53 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I Posted these before, but might as well add them here too. they are pics of my 03 KJ w/ about 20,000 miles on it and after running a K&N drop in for about 10,000 miles or so. The K&N FIPK intake on my wifes KJ showed similar yet not quite as bad, (only 13,000 miles so far on it) dirtiness and build up so it was on it's way to being a mess too. Luckily, I replaced the K&N cone filter w/ an Amsoil cone today.

I have not seen any more problems since running a Wix factory style replacement.

I had run K&N on many vehicles over the years and the vehicle prior to this was a GMC Safari van that also had similar intake dirt but I passed it off and still went w/ a K&N. I found the mess shown above in my intake and was pretty upset which launched me into finding more info on how poorly they filter. Naturally I found some of the same info that is in this thread and more. I was actually told by a former member of our club that he found the same thing when using a K&N and wheeling in the dirt and I ignored it and continued to support K&N. I admit I was wrong all those years prior and there is no way I would use their filters now.
BTW, I didn't see this kind of problem in vehicles I ran K&N in back in New Jersey but I attribute that to only operating those vehicles on the street, drag racing, etc and in a much wetter/humid environment. I also know very well how to properly oil and clean a K&N having done it hundreds of times so save your breath on that topic.

To each their own, I am only offering up what I have learned and what others know too. I think K&N has a place in motorsports but I really don't think that off road vehicles is the right place for them.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:36 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

Quote:
i stand by my post. i know what im talking about.

Not to stir the pot too much, you can know what you're talking about. It doesn't mean you have to be condesending about it.

03 Freedom with some neat stuff done to it that I learned about here.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 7:13 am 
LOST Junkie

my apologies, i admit i do not put much effort into how others will receive what i say. it is a personal flaw brought on by too many years of contact with too many people.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:38 pm 
Coal Country Wheelin
Coal Country Wheelin

I ran my a K&N drop in for about 10,000 miles on the jeep when I first bought it. My buddy informed me that he placed one in his tacoma and L.O.S.T. almost 3 miles to the gallon. He didnt know at the time the cause of the loss but then someone asked if he had a K&N filter and he said yeah. The guy told him that some vehicles actually lose MPG with a K&N drop in filter. So he went and replaced it with the stock air filter and what do you know...... he got his 3 MPG back. I bought a WIX filter and I actually giained almost 2 MPG back on my KJ. :shock: I couldn't believe it!!! I will never run those K&Ns again! I never did check the TB or anything to see if I have any of the goo yous guys posted about though.

Anyone else ever hear that though about the K&N drop ins??

2005 Sport with "STUFF"

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:50 pm 
LOST Junkie

It is not necessarily the fact that if was K&N...probably would be the same with any high air flow filter. There is a line you can cross where you get too much air in and then end up running richer as the computer tries to compensate. It ends up over compensating and you blow extra gas out the pipes.

LOST#99, Mid-Atlantic LOST
Blue 2003 KJ Sport

RL Super Skinks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 4:59 pm 
LOST Junkie

you need to reset your computer and go through the 50 starting cycles (driving identically under the same conditions) it uses to learn before you can make any direct comparisons

Post subject: AMSOIL Ea Series Drop In Air filter now available
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2007 6:09 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

http://www.lostjeeps.com/forum/phpBB3/vie ... 447#192447

Amsoil Ea series drop in air filter now available for the Jeep Liberty!!

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 1:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Pics of the Amsoil Ea series cone style FILTER to replace the K&N FIPK dirt funnel.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 9:57 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

How much of a difference will an Amsoil drop-in make as far as mileage and/or power, vs. stock? I'm getting ready to lift and upsize my tires, and with gas prices the way they are, I'm looking to mitigate the effects of the upgrades. 8)

Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids
235/70/16 Cooper Discoverer HTPs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 10:52 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

QuestMan wrote:
How much of a difference will an Amsoil drop-in make as far as mileage and/or power, vs. stock? I'm getting ready to lift and upsize my tires, and with gas prices the way they are, I'm looking to mitigate the effects of the upgrades. 8)

I don't have any real world figures since these are new filters for the KJ and I am not here to claim they will add HP or MPG. I also do not really think Any drop in or other air filter for that matter is much of a power or MPG adder. I personally think the HP and MPG claims made by the various air filter companies are just advertising hype BS.

The Amsoil Ea filters flow better than stock, nearing the flow of a K&N but they actually do their #1 job which is Filtering. Unless you are really going hog wild w/ a 3.7 KJ engine and adding in radical mods like headers, programming, supercharging, etc. the factory air box and drop in filter flow plenty. The Ea just allows you to get a good compromise in filtering and flow in a reusable filter.

My main goal in hyping the Ea filters is to convert people from the K&N and other oiled gauze "filters" that really don't filter all that well or flow enough to justify the compromise of allowing more dirt into the engine. I am using them knowing they will do their job and keep me from constantly throwing away $15 Wix air filters after every off road trip. If you don't mind throwing away those OEM or Wix air filters all the time, then keep using them as they will definately filter the air your engine breathes.

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:24 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I keep trying to justify putting in a performance filter setup, but it seems like it would be allowing too much dirt/water/mud, etc. I thought the drop-in might be a good compromise....... :?

Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:36 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

QuestMan wrote:
I keep trying to justify putting in a performance filter setup, but it seems like it would be allowing too much dirt/water/mud, etc. I thought the drop-in might be a good compromise....... :?

The new, drop in Amsoil Ea series air filter IS a good compromise to a drop in K&N. It will flow good and filter. I am not a big fan of the FIPK or tube style, sucking in hot underhood air, "intakes" but I do have one on my Wifes KJ because it came that way to allow the on-board hot water shower system to be installed where the stock air box was. If I could go back to the stock system w/ Amsoil drop in filter, I would but I can't figure out a good place for the shower system. Anyhow, go for the Amsoil Ea air filter and I think you will be happy with it. If you are not, I will send you a new OEM style Wix to replace it. :wink:

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 9:19 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Quote:
I am not a big fan of the FIPK or tube style, sucking in hot underhood air, "intakes" but I do have one on my Wifes KJ because it came that way to allow the on-board hot water shower system to be installed where the stock air box was

:lol: :lol: :lol: :shock:

Can't ask for more! I'll give it a shot! :D

Frankenlifted
Al's A-Arms
Stock Skids

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

LINK TO AMSOIL EA AIR & OIL FILTER TECH

BTW, below is the response I got from Amsoil tech dept.

"John,

Thank you for contacting AMSOIL with your concerns.

In response to your inquiry, the air filters are tested at an outside test facility. They are performed using method ISO-5011, and the test dust used is API fine ultra course test dust. The G-2202 does offer some of this information and test information as well.

Thank you again for the opportunity to respond to your concerns. As always, please feel free to contact us again if we can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Bryan Kershaw
AMSOIL Tech Services"

03 SFA KJ Sport
LOST JEEPS So-Cal