It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 4:42 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: So, What's the diference between 2k1 XJ and a 2k2 KJ?
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:42 am 
LOST Newbie

They are both unibody part time 4wd SUVs with similar specifications and size. If there are no techno-benifits (ESP, TC, ABS) to Libertys before 2006 what is the real difference, if any, between a used Cherokee with 80k miles on it and a used Liberty with 80k miles on it as far as using it as a 24/7/365 comuter vehicle and light off roading for a NooB off roader?
I know you all are partial to your Libertys but I also know a lot of you are ex-Cherokee guys. If I'm going to spend 10k or less on a used Jeep why should it be a Liberty?

I really WANT to like these things, I just can't sell meself on them. I'm hoping that you guys can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:59 am 
LOST Member

Cherokee/Liberty

4.0L over 3.7L.
SFA over Independent.
Boxy rugged look over cute round ends.
Lots of aftermarket over limited supply and demand.
Death Wobble over ball joint failure (not that they could be compared...lol).

I owned a 98 XJ Classic until I traded it up and picked up my 04 Liberty. To tell you the truth I loved my XJ, but I also love the KJ. I just can't explain it but I'm hooked with my KJ even more than I was with the XJ. I think the only way I would purchase an XJ in the future would be to use it as my play toy/off-road.

<b>L.O.S.T MID-WEST MEMBER #057522 </b>

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 1:58 am 
LOST Member

I just got an '04 Liberty and got rid of my '97 XJ.

The things I miss about my XJ, it had more power, especially climbing hills on the higways. The KJ starts off faster and smoother.

The KJ has a tranny hiccup. From all the reading I've done, this is normal, but not something I was used to with the XJ.

The KJ feels roomier on the inside, especially for the back seat passenger. There is slightly less cargo space between the backseat and the rear door, but there is slightly more room from tire to tire since the spare is mounted on the outside door in the KJ.

I miss the XJ, but I've only had the KJ for 2 weeks. I even missed my '86 XJ 4cyl, at first, when I traded it up for the '97 XJ I6

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:32 am 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

I think the KJ is a little smoother riding out on the road than a Cherokee, as far as power some difference but not that much. Off road I have taken the Liberty almost as many places as I did the Cherokee. Overall if using it day in day out I would take the Liberty for a DD. But what do I know I have only owned 3 Cherokees and one Liberty :wink:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2007 8:02 pm 
LOST Junkie

I see nothing wrong with either vehicle but comparing the XJ to the KJ is like comparing apples to oranges. Besides the the fact that the suspensions and engines are completely different. I have always felt that the biggest difference between the two vehicles is technology. The XJ was developed in the late 70's and early 80's while the KJ was developed 20 years later. That is a huge difference in my opinion.

1985 Mitsubishi Pickup SP 2.3 Turbo Diesel Watercooled turbo,4D56 ported head,
12" Suspension Lift with JK Rubicon axles, Elockers, 5.13's, Fox coilovers, Atlas 5.0, Rock Lizard supersliders

1996 Lexus LX450 -locked and lifted-

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 9:04 am 
LOST Junkie

I had a 2000 XJ and 2003 KJ and enjoyed both.

The KJ was more comfortable, roomier and rode smoother on road and just more "modern".

I liked the spare on the outside of the KJ, made it easier when changing a flat. I once had to empty the XJ
of vacation cargo just to get at the spare. The rear seats on the XJ were easy to remove. KJ got slightly better MPG.

L.O.S.T. #000202
2021 Compass

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:38 pm 
LOST Addict

KJ is safer in side/front impacts and has beefier doors and subframe. I bought mine because there was no CRD XJ in the US and I wanted the CRD. The looks have grown on me, but I sometimes wish I had a front axle (or a stronger diff).

The KJ is a little smoother on the road and is actually much smoother on trails (light duty stuff, not rock crawling) than my friends XJ (which likes to ping pong you back and forth).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 9:28 pm 
I'm about to pick up a 95 XJ...I've driven several of each, and I like the KJ overall better, but this XJ will be a lot less painful when I hammer something hard while wheeling because I don't wanna tear up my shiny late-model KJ.

I'm planning on lifting it 3" and running 32" MT's, which is pretty similar to my MTR's and 2.5" lift i'm doing with my KJ, so we'll see how similar they compare on the trail.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 10:45 pm 
LOST Junkie

I was actually looking for one but ended up with my liberty instead. I wanted a wrangler but cost to much and not too practicle for me. Then was looking for a cherokee but couldn't find one that wasn't beat to death or reasonably priced. I ended up with the liberty and have no regrets. :D I really like it.

07' Dodge Ram Quad Cab 1500 4x4
Yeah it's got a hemi!

Post subject: The Liberty
PostPosted: Sun Sep 23, 2007 11:09 pm 
LOST Addict

I think The thing I like the most out of the KJ is no matter how many times you walk around it or give someone a ride who has never been in on before. Can't beleive how much room it has on the inside. I may just be a perception but I hear it a lot. Even after a year of onwership I still marvel at how nice it is with all the creature comforts.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 9:03 pm 
My favorite thing about the KJ is that no matter how many times anybody rides in mine, any time they go to roll down the window they lock the doors. Then they unlock the doors. Then they lock them again and look at me with a puzzled expression.

I'm also guilty of doing so when I drive other KJ's, though, ESPECIALLY on the 05-7s.

it's always funny.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:36 am 
LOST Addict

ThunderbirdJunkie wrote:
My favorite thing about the KJ is that no matter how many times anybody rides in mine, any time they go to roll down the window they lock the doors. Then they unlock the doors. Then they lock them again and look at me with a puzzled expression.

I'm also guilty of doing so when I drive other KJ's, though, ESPECIALLY on the 05-7s.

it's always funny.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:27 pm 
LOST Newbie

I've only had my KJ for three weeks now and I can't tell you how may times I've locked and unlocked the door getting the window down. :lol:

Post subject: Have Both
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 6:21 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Well, not exactly, younger sonjust started college and took the 98 XJ with him. It has good AT tires and small lift. We took it off raod in Death Valley and love that capacity. We just picked up a 2006 Liberty CRD Limited. Much better on rosd. Not likely to see the serious off road as we still have a beat up old XJ. Nice to have them both to play with.

Post subject: As Lead Zepplin Said The Song Remains The Same
PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 11:43 pm 
LOST Addict

My story is simular but different, in '97 I purchased a salemans company truck '95 Dodge Dakota 4x4 5.2 l with automatic tow package and fully armored. After 11 years of drivind a Toyota 4x4 Hylux, the first thing I loved was a truck not full size but not Tinker Toy size either. Then I discovered the drive train wasn't ready for a 318cid V-8, it had already had the front diffs and half shafts replaced twice. While I had it , despite having Amsoil had to have the trans entirely rebuilt and replaced the starter once , water pump, twice radiator once, and fuel pump once. But the worst was a few years back Denver got a horrendus blizzard with almost 5 foot of heavy wet snow. Even with 4 wheel drive I got high centered and had to wait 3 days till the melt off allowed me to drive off. Worst of all I had to tollerate my arrigant brother with his Ford F-250 bad mouth my truck on a dailey basis, even when his truck was down and he borrowed my truck. He still bad mouthed my Ride :oops: . Then finally I threw a timeing chain and the entire family pulled an intervention, and I towed my beloved Dakota in to a "Push Pull or Drag Sale". I always liked the Dakota because it wasn't a full size Truck but it wasn't a Tinker Toy Sized Truck Either. I especially loved the V-8 5.2L engine. But then I got my '02 Liberty even with the questionable milage everday I drive it , I gain a new appreciation for this vehicle. Before I owned the Toyota truck I owned a Celica GT, I had owned right before the Celica a Datsun 260 Z a real sports car, much to my pleasure despite the muscle of the Z the Celica was actually more fun to drive. Now with my Liberty I appreciate it more every day, I loved Toyota for its quality of build, craftsmanship, retention of value,well thought out design and fit and finish. Now with the Liberty I experinced buyers remorse at first when I found out Toyota's Rav 4 was now available with a V-6 also :( . But I was young and foolish and knew not what I was doing. Then I got L.O.S.T., my eyes where opened I was educated in the nuances of the Liberty. The superior frame and drive train, the solid craftsmanship and crash test superiority. Then finally I was introduced to the trail running abilty. Buyers remorse is history, I kick myself for not getting a Liberty sooner. Now with the new KK I have realized that to embrace it and if I get one make whatever cosmetic change I want to remind me of my KJ and mive on with the new JEEP. My only hope is they take the Dakota platform and make it into the New Jeep Pickup Truck, additionally install the Cherokee's Deisel to keep that option available. Once again this is only opinion if my rant has offeneded anyone I beg your forgiveness. In the mean time lets do all we can to keep this Icon from WWII alive and do all we can to keep this product alive and healthy for are decendents to come. 8) 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 3:51 am 
LOST Newbie

The KJ sounds like it will suit your needs more. Heavy commuter and light wheeler.

45RFE automatic
OME heavy springs
Bilstein HD strut and 5125 extended rear shock (not quite bolt in - just some spacers needed)
Yokohama Geolander AT-S 245 75r16

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2008 11:21 am 
I live here
I live here

You sure brought this one back from the dead, calamaridog.

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jul 28, 2008 6:17 pm 
This member has been Banned

simple ,stock show room to stock show room rig
on road goes to the KJ
off road XJ

argue if you want but the Dana 30 in the XJ is strong and gives better suspension travel
now add the same to them and the XJ is far better
2" lift
31's
lockers
however the KJ will keep better road manners