It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 12:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: state laws
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:35 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have mounted a gas can on the back of my Libby ( I will be getting pics up soon ) in Colorado no problems with local Police or State Patrol, but moving to Arizona laws may be different. Also I have installed air tube w/ cone filter in place of OE airbox, will I pass Emmissions? Luckly I did keep OE airbox, just incase.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:20 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

What part of AZ are you going to?

I don't know if the y will hassel you at emissions but they seem to be a bit more relaxed in AZ tha CO. I moved to AZ over a year ago and have had several work vehicles tested. The lines are shorter due to quicker tests.

I just put my stock airbox back on due to the extreme dust down here. It is a pain to clean/oil the K&N as much as it is needed and my gas mileage has gotten worse than at altitude.

245 Firestone Destinations

2015 Jeep Cherokee Trailhawk (stock)

2014 Yamaha FZ-09
1999 Yamaha VMax
LOSTKJs #124

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 10:53 pm 
LOST Newbie

Moving to Lake Havasu City. The intake not that big of deal, like I said I kept OE airbox just incase, I've got Amsoil filter, no oiling. The can mounted is a big concern, very noticable, don't need to start getting tickets.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:12 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

The gas can should be fine as long as it is an "approved" container that you have mounted.

As far as the emissions thing... Couldn't really tell you. Gonna depend on your rig more or less.

2003 Atlantic Blue KJ 2WD

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 1:45 am 
LOST Addict

If you have a vehicle less than 4 or 5 years old. you only need to pay a tax. They assume the ODBII will take care of everything. No inspection. If it is older, there is an inspection that consists of hooking up your ODBII computer and making sure the engine is not throwing codes, followed by a tail pipe emissions test. They don't care what is under the hood as long as you don't disable an emissions control system (i.e. unplug vacum lines, disable EGR, remove CAT). I think they only do the tail pipe test in Maricopa county-- so you probably will not even get that.

The only thing they sometimes get on you about is if you have a lift and no mud flaps. You can get a ticket for it, but the general policy is not to ticket you unless you are being an A-hole or unless you kick a rock up on someone. My friend drove his dirty mud coated lifted XJ in North Snottsdale and they gave him a ticket for expired tags-- but did not bat an eye about him not having any mud flaps and that was after finding out we were both CCW (again no problem).

Police in AZ are pretty cool and laid back. DPS does not bother with speeding tickets in the Phoenix Metro area until you are 7+ over. Most other police departments are equally laid back. The only ones to avoid are the Gilbert Police (you have no rights and will answer all their questions no matter how ridiculous or insane. Meanwhile they will insult you. Kind of like New Jersey State Police, or the Gestapo.), Paradise Valley Police (you have no rights unless you own a home in Paradise Valley or have lots of $$ and are in a $60,000+ vehicle), and any DPS motorcycle officer in the summer in southern AZ (they are not in a good mood when its 110+ out and you don't want to cross one). Small town police like to give speeding tickets, but not so much to locals. That is about it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:11 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks Pablo, I'm not sure where Queen Creek is, but if it is in the area of Lake Havasu you'll need to tell me the good spots to go play.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 9:46 pm 
LOST Newbie

Mohave County doesn't do emission inspections. A few years ago, I registered a raggedy old CJ5 there. All they checked for were two matching VIN numbers. My Jeep didn't even have a speedometer.
I have a weekend house on the river in Bullhead City. I have been on quite a few trails in Bullhead and a few in Havasu.There is a book you will find in a local bookstore that is very good. I can't remember the title or author. It has a lot of trails in Northwest AZ, including LHC. Both Havasu and Bullhead have active 4wd clubs.

Mopar skids
Mopar tow hooks
Custom rock sliders
4.10/TT/Powertrax

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 12:04 pm 
LOST Newbie

In az only maricopa and pima countys do emission inspections. Maricopa is Phoenix area
and Pima is Tucson. There is talk of including Pinal Co. with is between the other two, but
it hasn't happened yet. You will go though a safety ins and they will check your title. liability
ins. is manditory