It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 9:34 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: 4 wheel Hi (part time) in the rain?
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:06 pm 
LOST Member

Hi, a couple of questions here? How many people use part time 4wh high in the rain? I still have the stock tires which S!@#K and even worse in the rain. Also what should be the max speed while in High. I'm not sure why on mine its called part time. I just have hi and low for choices but the light on the dash comes up with part time when shifted into 4wh hi? I thought 4wh hi was the same as 4 wh low except for the gearing ratio? Sorry this thread is all over the place...thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 2:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Part time 4WD is for use in slippery conditions. Part time means that the whole drivetrain is linked together, and ALL the wheels spin together, causing slippage during turning, and could potentially break something if used on dry pavement. Full-Time 4WD has a differential in the Transfer case to change the spinning of the tires around turns. This can be used on drypavement. Check out http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html for flash instructions on when to use what gear.

LOST#NL068123 - 2005 Renegade 3.7L 4x4, Off-Road Package, Rock Rails, Skids, Command-Trac, Trac-Loc LSD, Light Bar, K&N Drop in Filter, AMSOIL LUBES, RRO's Diff Guard for 8.25", Frankenlift, & Goodyear MT/R's
Cardomain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 27, 2005 4:21 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

Mine libby is the same way. I guess we just got jipped when it comes for 4WH. But like the post above check it out if gives alot of good information. I know in my next Liberty I am going to be looking for the 4WH Full time.

~JUD 8)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:06 am 
LOST Member

If you have a good set of tires (NOT the stock Goodyears) then you don't need full time 4WD.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 9:27 am 
KJ / JK Whatever
KJ / JK Whatever

changed stock tires to Bridgestone Dueler At Revos - no more use for part time 4wd in the rain

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Feb 21, 2006 5:29 pm 
LOST Member

This is True.Revos are great in the rain and snow.i changed out months ago and no need for 4x4. I feel silly... :oops:

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 29, 2006 9:19 pm 
LOST Newbie

i use mine in full time quite often like on gravel wet pavment or hard take offs to limit wheel spin goes well with the trac-loc in the rear my lib came with gdyr wrangler hps. they have proven to be great tires on the pavement even not bad on snow and ice but fail miserably anywere else

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2006 4:11 am 
LOST Member

We have BFG AT's and rarely even need to use 4wd in the winter, I wouldn't even think of useing 4wd for just rain. Even out on the trails we only use 4wd when we get into the fun stuff :twisted: . That goes for our KJ & XJ. With good tires and a LS rear diff you shouldn't have to use the 4wd on pavement, unless it has at least a foot of snow on it :mrgreen: .

'04 KJ sport, Rustys spacers front+ Skyjacker coils rear,16"x8" Rubi's LT245/75R16 BFG A/T, Mopar skids & hooks, Reese Hitch.
'96 XJ sport, Rustys lift NOW 4.25" with arms, NOW 32x11.5R15 muds, Rustys hooks, Valley Hitch.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2273596
'78 Z-28 & '96 Metro

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:24 am 
LOST Newbie

:D I have a 03 renegade and is hard to engage 4 lo. Is this a common problem? If so how do you get it to engage (probably a dumb question but this is my first jeep).

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 2:03 am 
LOST Newbie

This may not be the proper place for this but I will answer anyway. :) Are you in NEUTRAL and barely rolling at like 2-3 MPH as the owners manual states? This is how I do it and never have any trouble or "grinding". It is difficult from a complete stop.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 8:02 am 
LOST Newbie

Thanks. I will give it a try. It didn't come with an owners manual. I bought one but have not recieved it yet. Again, thanks for your help.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:40 am 
LOST Newbie

I use full time 4 wheel drive in the rain all the time... just because i like using 4 wheel drive haha

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 12:20 pm 
LOST Member

Agreed, with decent tires (I run the Revos) I don't have a need to go to 4HI in the rain, and with decent tires it's probably not good for the drivetrain anyways.

With the original crappy tires there was one particular spot where I had to stop and then make a right turn, uphill, with traffic coming at you - in the rain, the original tires would break loose at the drop of a hat unless you barely touched the accelerator, I used to pop it into 4Hi just to turn that corner and get up to speed. With the Revos, no longer a problem.

I always use 4HI on snow-covered roads. I may not always have to but I enjoy the extra traction to get moving and keep the rear end from getting too squirrely in corners.

Plus the 4-wheel drifting is fun :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 18, 2009 8:18 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

the original poster 4 years ago was talking about Part Time in the rain
That is totally dependent on your tire traction
If your tires have good traction in the rain - you'll kill the transfer case
in Part time either the tires slip or the case breaks.

now Full time - you can drive on dry roads & great traction -
it has a differential in the case and you can run it 'Full Time'

Post subject: Re: 4 wheel Hi (part time) in the rain?
PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:57 pm 
LOST Member

I use full time whenever the roads are snowy or icy. I even use it passing when I'm not sure of the surface. 2wd is too squirrly with all the torque. The torque makes the back end come out too much in 2wd and then you're going where-ever it's pointed. I save part-time 4wd for when I'm stuck or on glare ice. Rain isn't a good enough reason for part-time 4wd; I think it would break things and dealerships here in Alaska are horrible and incompetent... basically billing organisations.

I put Goodrich all terrain KOs on after the original tires wore too much too trust in the winter. Got a bit of understeer with them so I think tires with good deep front to back tread tires might work better. I rotate the fronts to rear to clean up the tread. Tread edges on the fronts wear a little rounded and don't seem to have as much grip in the slick stuff.

Good luck.

Post subject: Re:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2010 10:11 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

ATXKJ wrote:
the original poster 4 years ago was talking about Part Time in the rain
That is totally dependent on your tire traction
If your tires have good traction in the rain - you'll kill the transfer case
in Part time either the tires slip or the case breaks.

Er... the only time I'd run 4wh (part time) on pavement in the rain (with ANY kind of tires) is if the rain happened to be frozen to the ground :wink:

Any tire (even on wet pavement) that isn't slipping puts nearly the same coefficient of friction down right up to the point that it lets go of the pavement and will put a tremendous strain on the aluminum chain on the NV242's inner bits and probably shorten the life and increase the wear on the xfer case and the whole driveline.

That's the big difference between the two main x-fer cases offered on the KJ. One has full-time 4, but you pay the price by having more complexity and a (theorhetorically ) less durable construction with the aluminum chain. I still love my full-time-4, though.

Dan

Fumoto drain | ProVent CCV Filter
Stanadyne FM100 filter | Cummins fuel pump
GDE Eco | SEGR | BoulderBars | FrankenLift | Frankenskids

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:01 pm 
LOST Addict

Never heard of anything with an aluminum chain before. I think you're thinking of the case.

I've also never heard of anyone breaking one in part time on pavement.

Jeep's naming convention is so bass-ackwards on these I can't believe it.

My friend:
"Hey, how come my liberty doesn't have full-time 4wd?"
Me:
"It does."
"Huh?"
"Part time is full time"
"Huh?"
"Part time means you shouldn't use it all the time, it's bad for the case, but it's locked in full time"
"So part time is full time?"
"Yeah"
"Dumb"

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:16 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CATCRD wrote:
I've also never heard of anyone breaking one in part time on pavement.

http://www.rubicon-trail.com/4WD101/driveline-bind.html

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:21 pm 
LOST Addict

150 miles at 70mph in part time in a Grand? He had that coming. Any Libertys?

PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 10:25 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

CATCRD wrote:
150 miles at 70mph in part time in a Grand? He had that coming. Any Libertys?

If it can happen in a grand it can happen with any part time 4wd vehicle.Heck in the last 12 months I've replaced 2 AWD t-cases in Tahoe's that can be driven in 4wd on any surface,and yes they where in the AWD mode when the cases failed.