It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:35 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Black Smoke with Hard Acceleration
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

Hello, I have noticed that when I really step down on the accelerator I see some black smoke coming from the exhaust. Is this a normal occurrence with diesels? If not what could be a possible issue? CRD just flipped 20k miles. I haven't checked or cleaned the MAP sensor yet, could this help that issue?

Thanks
Larry

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:30 pm 
Moderator / Lifetime Member
Moderator / Lifetime Member

Not so sure on the Lib but on my old Petes that meant I was makin some serious power, not that I ever turned the old Cat up any :wink: But I would think there would or could be some

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2007 3:38 pm 
LOST Addict

It is very normal with diesels in general....but the CRD shouldnt be spewing out a whole lot of black smoke every time you get on it. After you clear things out once it should run pretty clean on subsequent WOT passes.

I would say a gunked up MAP sensor could cause more smoke....as well as crappy fuel, really dirty airfilter, and a few other thing that would be bigger problems.

How much smoke is there?
Does it do it every time?

06 CRD Sport
Built 5/11/06
Jeep Green
Rocklizard diff cover
V6 Airbox

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:04 am 
LOST Member

Yeah,
despite high frequency of service by other than myself as still under warranty, my airfilter was almost blocked - no-one had changed it until I got a local bloke to service it despite others claiming to have followed instructions (& charging for it too).
Miraculously, the smoke disappeared with a real service & checking with a heavy right foot.....the 2006 CRD KJ with just over 20k burns quite cleanly for a diesel and has heaps of torque & power - got wife to follow in other vehicle to confirm what I thought I was seeing in my mirrors....fairly clean by her descriptions too. Have been doing what the owners manual suggests with heavy acceleration on occasion, that is how I noticed it......I, too, was VERY worried until this easy fix. Still running sweet as a nut.
Good luck & Cheers
Auberon

Post subject: Re: Black Smoke with Hard Acceleration
PostPosted: Mon Aug 09, 2010 9:13 pm 
LOST Newbie

Black Smoke in diesel engines is most likely caused by excessive inlet restriction, or not enough air to support a full burn. black smoke is partially burnt fuel. check air cleaner. the only real way to see if a filter is clogged it to read inlet restriction and there should be a max and min spec given by oem to determine filter replacement. you can achieve this reading by using a pressure transducer and a multimeter, or a manometer. some tractors have a built in filter minder on the filter housing or in the cab to let the drive know when to replace the filter. this would also be a good time to check torque on Charger air Cooler piping, if clamps are loose you should hear a loud whistle when the engine is under load.