It is currently Mon Apr 29, 2024 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie 4wheel drive question
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:22 pm 
LOST Newbie

I have a 07 with 2HI, 4HI, 4LO which I believe is the command track. My question is its 4HI part time, is it alright to drive any length of time in 4HI? I'm brand new to 4wheel drive so if it seems like a stupid question, well it probably is. Oh and of course its a Liberty Sport.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:33 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

Welcome aboard. Don't worry about the questions you ask, just ask them.
4 HI is for situations where the tires may be allowed to slip, such as loose sand, gravel, icy roads, deep snow, etc. DO NOT use 4 HI where the tires may get good grip, such as dry pavement. (You won't need it there anyway).

Last edited by snowsport on Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:37 pm 
LOST Newbie

Thanks, just when does the 4LO come into play?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 9:48 pm 
clean machine
clean machine

4 LO is for slow speed travel over rough terrain.

I forgot to mention that 4 HI is useful for MUD, as long as you have the tires for it :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:29 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

also dont go over 10 mph in 4LO 4 HI is for higher speeds also

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2007 11:11 am 
I live here
I live here

First, Read your owners manual.

Sounds like you have Command Trac.

You can go to 25 mph in 4 Low, but do that on trails only. 4 High should be used only on wet, loose, slippery surfaces. You should be able to go at any speed, but in those conditions, you would be a fool to go fast.

Check this Jeep page out for more info:

http://www.jeep.co.uk/jeep/page.aspx?ID=775,,,

2004 Renegade Light Khaki - 4" JBA Lift - Rock Lizard Products: Komodo Dragon Rear Bumper, Prototype Winch-mount Front Bumper, Super Skink Sliders - All J's Super Tranny Skid II - 31" Firestone Destination AT's on Moab wheels - Cobra 75W CB w/ stock Antenna mod

[b]Retired, US Military

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 11:41 pm 
LOST Newbie

OK, let me try to describe this. It was raining this morning when I was going to work I was in in 4hi and I stopped at the store. I had the jeep still in 4hi when I started it up and put it in reverse to back out and it felt like the front tires were trying to go over a bump, I was barely touching the gas but it did not want to move then i heard almost like a pop sound and it freed up moving backwards. Should I have had it in 2hi before I started it up and backed up? It ran fine afterwards, I just don't want to screw anything up. Any advice or thoughts of what happened would be appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:42 pm 
LOST Addict

zjkjmyway wrote:
OK, let me try to describe this. It was raining this morning when I was going to work I was in in 4hi and I stopped at the store. I had the jeep still in 4hi when I started it up and put it in reverse to back out and it felt like the front tires were trying to go over a bump, I was barely touching the gas but it did not want to move then i heard almost like a pop sound and it freed up moving backwards. Should I have had it in 2hi before I started it up and backed up? It ran fine afterwards, I just don't want to screw anything up. Any advice or thoughts of what happened would be appreciated.

PART TIME 4WD IS NOT MEANT FOR USE IN THE RAIN. If you like your transfer case I don't recommend using 4WD in the rain. ever.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 11:57 pm 
Forum Admin
Forum Admin

BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:

PART TIME 4WD IS NOT MEANT FOR USE IN THE RAIN. If you like your transfer case I don't recommend using 4WD in the rain. ever.

Exactly what he said. Did the pop happen when your wheels were turned? (Most likely) When turning the wheels spin at different rates. When your Jeep is in 4hi part time, the front and rear drive shafts are spinning at the same rate. For the wheels to spin at different rates when you turn, the drive shafts need to as well. If they can't, something in the drive-line will bind creating the pop you heard. It can also break components of the drive-line.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:34 am 
LOST Addict

carroll952 wrote:
BeepBeepJeepJeep wrote:

Exactly what he said. Did the pop happen when your wheels were turned? (Most likely) When turning the wheels spin at different rates. When your Jeep is in 4hi part time, the front and rear drive shafts are spinning at the same rate. For the wheels to spin at different rates when you turn, the drive shafts need to as well. If they can't, something in the drive-line will bind creating the pop you heard. It can also break components of the drive-line.

Yeah... The only thing on the driveline that can give without breaking is the CV joint on the front driveshaft or the CV joints for the front wheel drive. My guess is that's what the noise was.

2003 Cactus Green Renegade w/ NP231 & NV3550
Al's 4th Gen UCAs
Custom 3.5" Lift
Rear DTT
Spidertraxed 245/75/16 Maxxis Bighorns

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 9:48 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

zjkjmyway

you might consider getting a good tire that doesn't need 4 wheel drive in the rain - the stockers are terrible, a good AT - like a Revo or Destination AT, or a better quality Goodyear - like a Silent Armor.

There are a lot of good tires out there - but they don't come stock - the stock ones are optimized for fuel mileage tests.

If you do it while the stockers are fairly new some tire shops will even get you some trade in credit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2007 11:33 pm 
LOST Newbie

Well I am a newbie to 4wheel drive :oops: I'll know not to do that again. I was backing out of a parking space with the wheels turned when the pop occurred, how would I know if I screwed anything up? And if 4wheel drive works like that how does 4wheel all the time work? I probably drove about 20 miles in 4hi that morning, it was raining pretty good. These questions might seem stupid to you but I'm just learning. Thanks for the answers and patience.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 2:53 pm 
The rain sucked, didn't it zjkj?

Do you plan on taking your KJ off road ever? PM me if you're considering getting new rubber...the stock tires are AWFUL on anything but dry pavement...and they're not much good for that, either.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 5:33 pm 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

zjkjmyway wrote:
Thanks, just when does the 4LO come into play?

Join us on another LOST Midwest run and find out!!

L.O.S.T. #058466
Car Domain, Updated: 2/23/2009
===_oooo
(_l_|_,\____\,_
{----__---_(olllllllo)
()_)"""""()_)--"--)_)