It is currently Sat Apr 27, 2024 1:44 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Newbie´s getting mixed up about lift
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 4:42 am 
LOST Newbie

I should have known this - there´s soooo much about lifting a KJ here, that my poor brain gets confused :shock:
The variety of makes and inches are very well introduced here, but believe or not - I still have a question to make;
I´ve been thingking of lifting my Kj for a couple of inches, but am not so much interested in increasing hte travel ( reach out) in the front.
Do you think it´s reasonable to use stock travel shoks w 2" springs in the front end?
I dont offroad that much - just trying to do something to increase the ground clearance.
I´d like to be sure to prevent the CV joints or/and upper ball joints from binding.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-timo

Post subject: Re: Newbie´s getting mixed up about lift
PostPosted: Tue Nov 06, 2007 8:43 am 
LOST Addict

FinKj wrote:
I should have known this - there´s soooo much about lifting a KJ here, that my poor brain gets confused :shock:
The variety of makes and inches are very well introduced here, but believe or not - I still have a question to make;
I´ve been thingking of lifting my Kj for a couple of inches, but am not so much interested in increasing hte travel ( reach out) in the front.
Do you think it´s reasonable to use stock travel shoks w 2" springs in the front end?
I dont offroad that much - just trying to do something to increase the ground clearance.
I´d like to be sure to prevent the CV joints or/and upper ball joints from binding.

Thanks for your help in advance!

-timo

The front struts used with all the lifts are stock lenght but in a H.D. version, the rear shocks are extended lenght, and yes, you need them in the rear. Rancho RSX 17505 front and 17004 rear are most commonly used. The rear 17004 is actually for a Durango but the lenght and fit work well with 2" + rear lifts.... OME H.D. lift springs work well with the Rancho's and can be had for just slightly more than a Rusty's coil lift kit.

Keep reading in the 4X4 section and you'll get it all figured out.

Original Old L.O.S.T. #000354

Nick's Pics & Mods click here: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/531173
http://www.survivaltopics.com/forums/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 7:59 pm 
LOST Member

if you are just going for rugged good looks, look in to a daystar lift. Not really great for serious off road but will get you that extra ground clearance without emptying out your wallet.

265/75/16 GreenDiamond Icelander M/T
ASA wheels
ARB front bumper
Off Road Package
Tow Package
Custom Interior Rack
LoadWarrior basket

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 01, 2008 8:58 pm 
JEEPZILLIA
JEEPZILLIA

Powdrdaze wrote:
if you are just going for rugged good looks, look in to a daystar lift. Not really great for serious off road but will get you that extra ground clearance without emptying out your wallet.

I was going to say that too.
If not going for the serious wheeling type stuff and just want looks and more clearance. I would go fo a budget lift. The OME and Frankenlift's are alot of money but WELL WORTH IT!

I was in the same boat as you. I was so over welmed about lifting my KJ. There was this lift and pros and cons. There was that lift with pros and cons. Then there was that other lift with cons only. Then I heard about the OME and Frankenlift kits. I was sold by all the great things about it.
I wheel often and I am not easy when wheeling so the Frankenlift with HD springs was my deal.

Don't spend alot of money for a lift that you are not gonna use.

You can even go the Clevis way. CHEAP AND EASY!

Thats my $0.02 After tax .00000001/3

Moabs and plenty of pin striping
Flexable people don't get bent out of shape!
Current MPG 6" to a gallon
L.O.S.T. # BL065211
www.ItAtYourHome.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 02, 2008 1:03 am 
Lifetime Member
Lifetime Member

I went with the Daystar 2-1/2" lift and put the Rubi rims and tires on it that had been sitting in my garage for a couple of years. Like was said though, if you are going to wheel it go with a Franken Lift. I have a wheeling vehicle already so I just wanted to set up the Liberty for camping and running around in the snow around Colorado.

06 KJ Limited
10 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 JK Unlimited Rubicon
14 KL Cherokee Trail Hawk